rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 240
Brandi Posted: Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:10 PM

Hello Everyone

I have been looking into getting a new thimble for hand quilting. I currently have one of those plastic open nail ones. What kind of thimble do you like and why?  Are there any that you have tried and just wanted to throw out? Thanks for your input.

Brandi

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:15 PM

Brandi

I had a leather one with the slit for the nail that I really liked but it stretched and now falls off.  I think I would like to try one of the new soft rubber ones to see how I like it.  The only thing I absolutely won't use again is the old metal ones .... I have never found one that was comfortable and therefore always did my sewing without a thimble and just pricked myself alot.  I will replace the leather in the near future.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:18 PM

Someone with a better memory than mine help me here - which quilting magazine just recently ran an article on all kinds of thimbles?  Was it Quilter's Home by any chance?

Now that I've got some time off, I'll look for that and maybe I can email it to you, Brandi.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,174
Points 387,792
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:19 AM

Hi Brandi,

I use and love the Jelly thimbles. I bought mine from keepsake quilting. They are the only ones that ever fit my fingers. They stay on and are quite comfortable. I usually wear a thimble on each hand since I tend to sew through the finger on the back of my work.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:29 AM

Brandi, I have a Roxanne thimble with the open back. It's called the Roxanne RX thimble. First of all I like it because my nail comes out over the top. (It's kind of like having a golf glove with the slit in the ends for your nails.) Secondly, I like it because of the weight. The dimples are deep enogh to keep the needle eye in them. It's a great thimble and I highly recommend it.

Yes, Nancy, there was a review of thimbles in one of the last couple of Quilter's Home magazine.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,804
Points 420,894
gini replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:11 AM

hi brandi,   you'll probably get as many answers as there are members here.    i like metal thimbles,   the ones with the raised lips on the end,  these are the only ones i use for quilting.    but, i will use anything available.   i hate poking myself.  i've used the jelly ones, they're ok, but i don't like them for quilting.    the open ones not so much.     i like the little glue on patches when i get a sore spot. 

i never throw anything out, you never know when you might need it,  but i have been known to misplace things.  (for decades even, but you didn't hear that from me).      gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 313
Points 7,000
Wynnie replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:14 AM

Hello Brandi,

I have try the new thimble, it is made with soft rubber by Clover. I like very much my thimble. I have tried a lot of thimble but this one is my favorite.

Québec, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:17 AM

I used to love the metal ones with the ridge around the cap but I do find that it hurts the sides of my finger sometimes.. I just found a rubber one...not the jelly one but a rubber one...it fits really well and doesn't come off as it kind of suctions to your finger...I can't find the package at the moment but I bought it at the Lancaster quilt show last year...they are not cheap but soooo comfortable...I bought one to leave on the boat as well..I will look for the package

Ontario, Canada

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 240
Brandi replied on Mon, Dec 28 2009 9:46 AM

Thanks for all the help. I found a metal Bohn thimble at one of my LQS's, they had a small selection. Road 2 CA is coming up in January, I'll try to find some there too. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.