Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Connie Posted: Mon, May 28 2012 11:52 AM

When I buy fabric I always wash it before I cut.  Do you really have to "wash" with detergent or will just rinsing it to take out the chemicals be enough?  Trying to save a little time in the process. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Mon, May 28 2012 12:17 PM

Connie,

I used to wash everything to remove the chemicals. I have heard of a lot of quilters who no longer do this. They say the fabric today is of better quality. If I suspect the fabric will shrink or bleed, I do wash and dry. For instance flannel and batiks. If I do want to wash something that is not a batik or a flannel, I have run it through a rinse cycle and then to the dryer it goes. I'm like you, trying to save a bit of time and money. I've not had a problem or complaints with the protocol that I've used.  Be sure you crimp or serge your edges to keep them from fraying when you wash.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,499
Points 30,480
Diana replied on Mon, May 28 2012 12:20 PM

I no longer wash my fabric at all unless it's red or dark blue which are two colors that can run.  But if you use the color catchers now sold you wouldn't even have to wash them.  I do press the fabric to get it straight and get rid of the wrinkles but I use distilled water in a spray bottle to help with the stubborn ones. I like the sizing in the fabric that keeps it a bit firn and makes it easier to cut.  Just my opinion and everyone has their own way of doing things.  Just personal preference.

Diana in East Tn.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Connie replied on Mon, May 28 2012 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info about serging the edges.  I really get tired of trimming off the ravels.  Rinse and dry it is.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Connie replied on Mon, May 28 2012 12:26 PM

Do you have any problems with shrinkage?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Mon, May 28 2012 12:33 PM

i rinse and dry everything.   i don't like the sizing because i do a lot of applique, and i don't like the other chemicals in the fabric.   i don't have a problem with shrinkage, because i have already preshrunk the fabric. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Connie replied on Mon, May 28 2012 1:35 PM

Ok, thanks.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Mon, May 28 2012 1:41 PM

I have yet to find any good quality cotton fabric that does not shrink.   I have taken the same good quilting fabric and washed some and did not wash the rest.  And yes there is shrinkage.  So I now wash everything, unless the piece is smaller than a fat quarter.   The fat qtrs and half yards I may wet and dry by hanging so I don't lose so much to raveling.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, May 28 2012 6:35 PM

I don't Pre-wash ,but when I do wash my quilts I do not put them in the dryer, I line dry mine.so I have not had a shrinkage problem. I also wash in cold water,  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use