Top 10 Posters

HELP!! Do embroidered quilt blocks need to be quilted?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 310
Sunny Sandy posted on Sun, May 27 2012 6:53 AM

I'm in the middle of a pieced and embroidered quilt. I know the pieced blocks need to be quilted, but I don't know if the embroidered blocks should also be quilted....

The embroidered blocks are 9x10 with a centered design that leaves 2/3 of the block un-stitched except for the where borders and joinings are.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sunny Sandy

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,493 Posts
Points 138,373

Sandy,

I would say yes because of the size of the block. When I quilted around mine I just used a simple meander right up to and around the design. I also used a thread that matched my background fabric and you don't really even notice it's there. I think doing this makes the designs pop better and have seen other quilters echo around the designs as well.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Sun, May 27 2012 11:52 AM

sandy, the embroidered blocks need to have the same amount of quilting as your other blocks or they will poof up funny.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Sun, May 27 2012 12:15 PM

Sunny Sandy,

I would certainly quilt within the blocks of the embroidery. It depends on what you want whether you quilt over the embroidery design or around it. If I am quilting over the design, I don't put a lot of quilting on the design itself.  Just enough to hold it down.  If you quilt close around it the design, will pop out a little and if you quilt over the design, it will lay down, of course. All depends on what you like. There is no hard and fast rule.

Quilton! Ramona

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 265

If the 1/3 is a single say solid rose and  you want it to stand out, then do not quilt it. But if it has multiples of tiny flowers, butterflys, etc., then I would stitch them down.

Patricia Fisher

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use