Top 10 Posters

Fons and Porter "Twirling Triangles" quilt problems...HELP!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 100
ccm1 posted on Sat, May 26 2012 8:36 AM

I have been gathering fabric for this quilt since September when I first saw this quilt on the Fons and Porter TV show and now that I am up to my neck in triangles, I can't finish the @$#*$# thing!  Does anyone know of a good way to handle the MASSIVE lump of fabric that is created when all those seam allowances come together?  I have tried pressing the seam allowances to one side, as shown on TV and then I tried pressing all seam open.  No matter how I handle it, the bulk to way too much to go under my presser foot and my machine cannot move the fabric.  I have tried hammering the massive bulk after pressing but it's just too thick!  I don't remommend this patter at all although I love the look of it, but lots of wasted fabric, have to pin match everything and the tremendous thickness of the seams make it impossible for me to complete.  This pattern used gobs of fabric and gobs or time have already been vested in it but I can't finish it because my sewing machine cannot handle the bulk.  Please help!!

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, May 26 2012 9:44 AM

hi ccm, welcome to the group.   when i have a lot of seams coming together, i push them all the same direction and they go fairly flat, the little triangles that you usually clip off  will make a star.  so, iron them all the same direction, stick you finger in the center and wiggle it to make them lay as flat as you can.  it also helps make the front look a little better.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,208 Posts
Points 16,180
Suggested by Annie

CCM1, Have you tried your walking foot? I use that when the seams are to thick to sew through. Hope this helps!    Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, May 26 2012 9:59 AM

CCm,

I remember that episode and it's been a pattern I have been thinking about making. Have the pattern already printed from my magazine. I remember that they opened up the center seams to make a mini pinwheel effect on the wrong side of the fabric? I'm sure you've tried that,otherwise I think using a walking foot as already mentioned would be your best bet.

Thanks for the heads up as I was going to try that pattern pretty soon. Would love to see pictures of your quilt!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,399 Posts
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sat, May 26 2012 10:05 AM

yee gads!  I googled the pattern and spent some time trying to figure out seam directions.  Where row one (showing half a hexagon) joined the next row, I could get the seams all going the same direction in a way they did not interfere with each other.   On the star hexagon press the seams all counter clockwise, with the seam where on the split triangles all going out.  Which would end with the hexagons with the blue triangles having seems all going clockwise.  Good so far.  BUT in joining it to the next row, there are seams that will be going in opposite directions causing problems. 

It is possible to get an hexagon, or even an octagon to lie fairly flat.  the trick is to sew pairs together first, then in joining the pairs, only sew to where the seam meets the other seam, not all the way to the edge.  Then sew the halves together, and the place where they all meet can be twirled to form a star.  There is a forum where some instructions pictures.  I will look for that and bump it to the front of the messages.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,208 Posts
Points 16,180
Susan replied on Sat, May 26 2012 10:18 AM

Patti, Thanks for all the info, it will be very helpful to me in the future. I sure hope CCM1 is able to apply it to what she is doing and able to finish that quilt as it sound like a lot of effort, time and money went into it.      Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,399 Posts
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sat, May 26 2012 10:22 AM

I am unable to track down that tutorial.  There were a couple of them.   I don't think I saved my pictures, the others were better. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Sat, May 26 2012 11:05 AM

Welcome ccm1,

To sew over bulky seams, you can also put a spacer behind your presser foot to make the foot even and then sew.  I use this technique on denim and hexagons! Don't give up!  I am sure any one to the suggestions will help you through and please post pictures1

Judylee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,422 Posts
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, May 26 2012 8:20 PM

VVe'lcome ccm1    VVe're glad to see you here.   I did the Tvvirling Triangles quilt last year and loved it.   I didn't notice any particular lumpiness but then a lot of my stuff is lumpy.  I don't usually do pastels but did for this one.   Good luck vvith it, its a great pattern.   Just started vvorking on Indigo Stars novv.  

P.S.  I have no "double-u" on my laptop

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,422 Posts
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, May 26 2012 8:31 PM

Here's a closer look -- sorry about the color quality

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,403 Posts
Points 47,130
Angele replied on Sun, May 27 2012 7:47 AM

Vert prêt t'y Quilt Maggie..

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,403 Posts
Points 47,130
Answered (Not Verified) Angele replied on Sun, May 27 2012 8:05 AM
Suggested by Angele

Ccm1 first welcome. 

I usually do like Gini explained in her response, which is to iron all the seams so that they all go clockwise or counter clockwise. The important thing is that they all go in the same direction. Then you pin 1/4inch from the centre and stop your seam there when you sew the pairs together.  For the others go to the tend.  When all the siPieces are together, use your thumb to fan out the extra seam parts in the centre.  It really does help to reduce the bulk.  Good luck and I hope we will see your quilt picture soon.

Angèle  from NWO

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 100
ccm1 replied on Sun, May 27 2012 8:41 AM

Unfortunely the way these triangle come together you can't open up the seam allowance.  All the triangles are on one side if you will.  Until you make a block you might not see what I mean.  If you make this pattern, make sure you get a great deal on the fabric because you will use and loose alot!  6 yards of white alone!  And there are big chuncks of fabric left over.

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 100
ccm1 replied on Sun, May 27 2012 8:44 AM

That's a good idea, not sewing the seam on the triangles to the end.  I have seen that before and it does help reduce bulk.  My main problem is that I followed the instructions to the letter.  I am more than a little disappointed in the Fons and Porter pattern.  If I get this miserable thing together, I will never make or recommend it.

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 100
ccm1 replied on Sun, May 27 2012 8:47 AM

Yes, actually to complete a fow last night I had to stop at every "bump" and put an acrylic ruler under the presser foot!  Very time consuming but it does show just how high the "bump" is, at least as thick as a ruler!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use