What to do with Hexagons?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 935
ErinAmy Posted: Sun, May 20 2012 8:37 PM

I have discovered that I like hand sewing english paper piecing hexagons thanks to Craftsy BOM, but I am not sure what to do with them.  I don't think I can handle making hundreds on them for a whole hexie quilt, but want to do more them make a coaster......Maybe find a quilt pattern that has hexagons in each block?  What do you quilters think?  Any good free patterns out there?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sun, May 20 2012 10:34 PM

ErinAmy

I don't know of any patterns right off but I have seen the hexagons used as flowers for applique.  You can also do different designs out of hexagons and applique to blocks for a quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sun, May 20 2012 11:11 PM

ErinAmy,

Check out the Hand piecing group, i had posted photos of 2 new books i had brought with EPP, if nothing else it might give you ideas.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Mon, May 21 2012 1:24 PM

I have made table runners and wall hanging using the hexagons for background and then appliqued over top. Check out Blowing Leaves and Daisy Runner in my gallery. I had these hexagons left from other projects but didn't want to make quilts. I've also made runners with the hexes. See GFG Bright Batiks and Hex Runner 2010. An easy edge finish if you want to keep the shaped edge is to use the facing method for finishing.

Forgot to mention that I hand piece and not EPP mine. It's just my preference. The end result is the same.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use