Suggestion HELP?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,799 Posts
Points 31,700
Annie posted on Fri, May 18 2012 9:00 AM

This is a quilt I'm making for a graduating student.  She picked out all the fabric and pattern.  My question to you'll is:

The top left block is fussy cut and will appear 16 times through out the quilt.  The fabric pattern allows for several different looks when fussy cut.  Anyone have an opinion?  I can't seem to think beyond all the different colors, not too fond of all the designs combined, but she picked it and I guess I need to go with it.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. P.S. I have my alligator skin on, so honest comments are welcome.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,856 Posts
Points 247,242
Thea replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:02 AM

Annie, I think I would try to use the same ones in the corners of each section - give the quilt some symmetry in design - I think once you get it all together that it will be beautiful - I know what you mean when sometimes we don't like a fabric - makes it difficult to work with but persevere and muddle through and you will make a gorgeous quilt that she will enjoy for years to come...

What I meant by corners - is the 4 corners of the quilt and then as you come into the quilt the same ones in the same spots like mirror images... 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,715
Nana replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:11 AM

Annie

I agree with Thea.  I would cut the same design for the outside corners of the quilt and then use different cuts toward the center of the quilt.  I would give them a mirror image effect so that there is symmetry in the quilt design.  I think the fabrics are beautiful and will make a gorgeous quilt.  I know that it is hard when you work with a design or fabrics that you aren't particularly fond of but you can do this.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,639 Posts
Points 418,679
gini replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:13 AM

this is a perfect fabric for fussy cutting, i agree with thea and nana

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,799 Posts
Points 31,700
Annie replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:47 AM

Thank you all for your help.

Thea, you're a genious!  Thats exactly what I am going to do.  Make all 4 corners the same, I think the one with the white ribbon like design.  Then inside the quilt, there will be 4 of them touching, those I will make using a different angle and I think it may come out a bit like a kaleideoscope (sp?)

Now I'm inspired, but at work, have to wait till this afternoon..... not to mention I have to work on the next step in MQ6.

Thank goodness for the PJ party this weekend!

Happy Friday, everyone

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,100 Posts
Points 252,029
Barbara replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:48 AM

Annie, I have to agree with everyone Mirror image ,will make this quilt awesome. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Fri, May 18 2012 9:29 PM

yeah, I like the mirror image idea too.  it will be a fantastic quilt!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use