Top 10 Posters

Was wondering about sewing machines at Walmart/Sears?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 46 Replies | 14 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Lindy posted on Mon, May 14 2012 10:57 AM

I was wondering if anyone has gotten a sewing machine from Wal-mart or Sears before, Yesterday I was at Super Wal-mart in Ardmore and noticed that they had more sewing Machines and even embroidery ones to on the shelf. My mom recently got one from Sears and it sews like a dream but I have only gotten one from Wal-mart and it was a Singer but that was a 5 years ago. But, I haven't since then I need one that I can quilt on and do decorative stitches with. We only have 2 sewing stores the Sewing Center and Hobby lobby, the others are in TX which is 45 Mins away. Does anyone have suggestions?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,482 Posts
Points 176,813
Answered (Not Verified) Marie replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:12 AM
Suggested by Marie

oklahomamom2:
Does anyone have suggestions?

Go to a reputable dealer so if you have any questions or problems you'll have a place to go.  Once you buy from Wal-Mart you own it with no help what so ever.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 10,145
Suggested by Jennsquilts

I bought a Brother from WalMart and absolutely love it. It came with all the quilting specific feet that I wanted (darning, walking, quarter inch, zipper, blind hem, etc) and has 100 fancy stitches including alphabet. I have not had any problem with mine and have been working it pretty hard lately. I'm completely satisfied with it.  However, I would echo what Marie said.  If you don't feel like your up to handling basic repairs and or troubleshooting on your own, it may be a good idea to buy from somewhere that can service your machine (above a good cleaning) if needed.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:23 AM

I bought a sewing machine at Walmart when I first started quilting. It also does free motion quilting. I have never had a single problem with it. My local LQS is a Brother dealer and she does the maintenance on it without problem. She said it is a fine machine for a beginning quilter. I have been using it for 6 years without a single problem.  Don't be so quick to nay say these brand name machines at Walmart. My sister got one there, as well, that was less expensive then mine (mine was in the $200.00 range). She thought it was wonderful, until some more experienced quilter told her she needed a "proper" machine. So, she gave her perfectly good machine away and spent a fortune on a Janome. Just for the name and to be "one of the crowd". I would rather spend my money on fabric.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,721 Posts
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:24 AM

The one big problem I have with buying from Walmart is that there is no service.  Sears has a great service dept and you can even buy an extended service policy that isn't very expensive.  Kenmore machines are good lower end machines.  I have had several and had great service out of all of them.  Good luck on your purchase.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
2,769 Posts
Points 39,135
ls2116 replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:37 AM

The Sears by me has about three machines and a little area their sewing section is almost non existant .  but they do havea parts hotline number but i think i'd rather go to a sewing store even though its a higher price at least they include lessons with purchase .

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:43 AM

Nana:
The one big problem I have with buying from Walmart is that there is no service

Nana, any sewing machine service person (not affiliated with a certain sotre) will service any machine no matter where you bought it.  I've not had a bit of problems.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:44 AM

Is ,if you buy a Brother from walmart you can usually get it serviced at any dealer that  works on machines. and they have great web site as well ,I have a small brother that I started  with and it worked fine,I just upgraded because the throat space  is small are hard to quilt with but it can be done it worked great on small projects like lap quilts and wall hangings . good luck in your purchase .barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:44 AM

If I had to choose between Wal Mart and Sears, I'd choose Sears because of the service dept although, I would guess they may send out sewing machines.  Don't know that for sure but I don't think their sewing depts are like they were many years ago.  Also, I recently found out that Singer is now making Kenmore machines.  The previous ones were made by Janome.

I prefer to buy from a dealer because of the service aspect.  Also, I was told the box store machines have a lot of plastic parts inside.

Craftsy just released a free class called Sewing Machine 911.  I watched it the other day and the instructor gives a lot of useful info about machines.  It may be worth watching before you make your decision.  She also talked about where to purchase a sewing machine.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,721 Posts
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:46 AM

Sukochi

I know that they will service machines but it is with a charge.  Thru Sears you can get free annual service as well as mostly free parts and labor if something breaks.   I prefer free....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, May 14 2012 12:24 PM

Nana:
I prefer free

Don't we all. I didn't know that. All we have ever had was huge problems with Sears. Our local little Sears place has a thug for a Mgr. Jim was have mower problems with his new mower. He was getting at total run around from, this man. The Mgr. actually invited Jim outside for a fist fight!?!?!?  We contacted the main Sears Corp and they said they have no control over the actions of their franchises. So, we use that name as a 4 letter word around here. Much as in when something goes wrong, "OH, SEARS!!!? If you get my drift.  Haven't been in a regular Sears store in 7 years. We don't do Malls. I wonder if the machines sold by the quilt shops are more expensive?  I wonder if they charge the purchaser for labor on a machine you would buy from the shop. I know my LQS is a Brother dealer. The one in Blue Ridge is a Bernima dealer, another in the area is a Janome dealer. The one that sells ,has classes just for Janome owners. I guess another thing is, that buying from Walmart, you don't get someone to run your through the workings. My sister paid a lady, in her hometown, who would show you everything your machine would do, (regardless of brand), for $45.00. And, she stayed booked up. 

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,721 Posts
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Mon, May 14 2012 12:29 PM

Sukochi

I don't have to pay for service on my Bernina that I bought at a LQS and machine sales.  I would have to pay for parts if something broke but the labor is free.  And the annual checkups is free.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Lindy replied on Mon, May 14 2012 2:18 PM

What model do you have?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,293 Posts
Points 29,240
Agnes replied on Mon, May 14 2012 3:56 PM

If you are comfortable buying your machine from a non sewing machine shop I fully applaud you to do so. You get far better bang for your buck in that case. All my sewing/quilting was been done on department store machines until I purchased my Singer 20U industrial machine. As a result of participating on quilting forums I was beginning to feel I needed a machine that was advertised in quilting magazines or those beautifully disguised TV shows that are largely infomercials for a certain brand of machine. At the recent quilt show I spent some time looking at other machines, came home, did research and found unless I was willing to "mortgage the farm" all I was gaining was a brand name. I will stick with what I have and fully trust that this machine will keep me sewing till I no longer want to sew. Oh, just for the record, even though my machine is a Singer I purchased it through the Canadian counterpart of True Value Hardware.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

I have to put my 2 cents in. I have never paid over $200.00 for a sewing machine. I have bought from Sears and I've had non brand name sewing machines.  I love Kenmore sewing machine but have a big problem with their service department. An extended warranty is not worth the stress of dealing with Sears service techs. I have been sewing for over 35 years and always been getting great service at my local vacuum and sewing machine centers. At sew and vac stores they will work on any sewing machine. True there is a fee, but, again, I don't need any more stress in my life. I do have a Bernina now, but it was given to me after my step mother passed. No warranty there so, again, I get it serviced at my local sew and vac. I guess it is everyone's own preference. Good luck with your decision. Sometimes it is very difficult to make those decisions.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use