Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,765
erindipity Posted: Sun, May 6 2012 9:34 AM

Hi. I am new to quilting and getting ready to start a "Turning Twenty" quilt.  I am sure I will have lots of questions once I get started.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,503
Points 39,460
Linda replied on Sun, May 6 2012 9:51 AM

Hi Erin! Welcome to  QCA and good luck with your "Turning 20" quilt. Fantastic way to celebrate  leaving those teen years behind or remembering the teen  years and looking forward. Any time you have a question, just post it and you will have plenty of quilty friends to help you out. We are a friendly bunch here...and maybe a little wacky at times. We love to see photos of any of your work. Would also love to see progress on your "Turning 20" quilt.

Hugs,

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,765

Hello Linda. Thanks for the welcome :)  I'm actually turning 42 in June but the pattern I am using is called turning twenty.  You use 20 FQ and it is supposed to be super easy. We will see!!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sun, May 6 2012 10:38 AM

Erin

Welcome to the site.  The Turning Twenty patterns are fairly simple and lots of fun.  I have made several over the years.  They are usually a fairly quick project.   Have fun with yours.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,866
Points 181,728
Marie replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:26 AM

Hi Erin, welcome!  This group is very swift in answering questions so ask away!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 630

Hello Erin, from another newbie, I just joined Apr 13 and am enjoying being a member of this club very much. I'm presently working on the MQ6 project which is turning out to be alot of fun. Good luck on your "Turning Twenty" quilt, perhaps we can all see a pic of your progress or even when the quilt is complete.

Cheers!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,757
Points 420,164
gini replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:50 AM

hi erin, welcome to the gruop

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,470
safrmaz replied on Sun, May 6 2012 2:02 PM

Hi Erin,

Welcome to the group.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 991
Points 24,805

Welcome Erin! This is a wonderful group of women, even if some of us are a bit crazy...but only in a good way! Join on in. Hope to meet you at a retreat one day.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,175
Points 22,425

Welcome Erin!  I'm sure when you have questions someone here is always ready to help.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,765

Crazy?? I should fit right in then!! ;)

Thank you all for the welcomes.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,765

I have been reading and looking at pictures all day (and having lots of fun!). What groups are for beginners? From what I've seen the blocks are pretty involved!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,765

Oh yeah- how is the best way to build up a good fabric stash and is there one place better or cheaper to buy online?  I do have a good bit of fabric but it is a little older. The colors I want in the quilts I am planning will be in more current colors. Each quilt I am making will have 12 to 20 FQ's.  I'm in a small town so sometimes buying online is my best option. Thanks.

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 991
Points 24,805

Don't worry about being a beginner. I learned to quilt 15 years ago but consider myself a beginner because I didn't quilt for over a decade due to illness. Jump in. I like the Mystery Quilt because it's step by step and you don't get intimidated by the rest of the instructions. Take advantage of retreats whenever possible. I cannot tell you how much I learned from the Virginia Beach retreat from other ladies. 

As for fabric, I placed a rather large order with Connecting Threads. They were very good prices but I've never used fabric from them so we will see how good it is. I try to support my LQS most of the time but I ordered from Connecting Threads to build my stash. There are also fabric "clubs" from different sites where they send you different fabrics each month. I did that for a few months but didn't really care for all the fabric I got. Maybe I need to become more eclectic in my fabric choices.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Welcome Erin.  I don't think there is a group for beginners per se.  Mary is right about the Mystery Quilt groups.  Right now they are doing "MQ6".  I have done a couple of them and getting one step at a time until you have a completed top is great.  Once you are finished, you have a top that - had you seen the whole thing before starting - you probably never would have started it being a beginner, because you would have thought it was too hard.  Don't be afraid to ask questions because you will get plenty of answers.  :o) 

Connecting Threads does have fabrics at great prices.  They usually have "package deals" in their fabric lines that have a fat quarter of every fabric in the collection.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.