Keeping my fabric free from pet hair

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 370
Grace C Posted: Sun, Apr 15 2012 6:54 PM

I have a dog who spends a lot of time in my kitchen and often there is at least some dog hair floating around.  I don't like dog hair in my food or on my quilts.  I use a small leftover piece of batting and my swifter and just go over the floor quickly before beginning my project.  All of the dog hair clings to it and when I'm quilting everything stays nice and clean.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

I use a lint roller over my ironing board before I use it.  I have two cats and I swear they shoot their fur into the air and across the room!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 7:37 PM

I had a Keeshond and I loved her to pieces. She was the best companion I ever had. BUT I wore her every where. I had so many lint rollers...in my car, at the office, in each room of my apartment, at each sewing machine. Get the picture?? I was devestated when she passed away.

I recently got a Havanese....non shedding, just like The Quilt Daddy's Bishons. It's the only breed I'm not allergic to. Not one little hair anywhere. It's wonderful!!!! I don't sew pet hair into my quilts anymore!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 7:58 PM

Great tip, Grace C - thanks! My dogs DO shed so tips like this are helpful.

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 370
Grace C replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:08 AM

I found this out when I was FMQ and pet hair just loved sticking to the batting.  So why not use the same thing batting with a swifter before doing any quilting.  Works like a charm and now I don't have any pet hair from my beloved pets on my beloved quilts

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,670
Points 37,665
ls2116 replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:24 AM

my little pekingnese is queen she is not suppose to shed but my quilts all leave the evidence great idea on going over floor it would work for me if i partitioned her to another room.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 740
kwhite51 replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:28 PM

Linda,

I know what you mean.   I had a shipperke and last Tuesday we found her dead by the front door.   She was my sidekick and I sure do miss her.  She didn't shed either.  For  xmas  our daughter got a carin terrier.   Lots of energy.   He's  a clown.   Always funny.   But I put a gate on my sewing room door I can just imagine what my sewing room would look like with that one in it!.. 

Kwhite51

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 370
Grace C replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 8:16 PM

Sorry to hear your dog passed and a gate is a better idea than using batting to pick up the dog hair.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use