Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,826
Points 43,854
Eileen Posted: Wed, Apr 4 2012 10:31 AM

I don't have a design wall anywhere in my house, so when I want to figure out what fabric(s) to use in a border or take a picture of a quilt top, I hang it on skirt hangers & hang the hangers on the pipes in the basement. I can drape potential border fabric on the pipe first to see how the fabric looks with the top.  I can leave the top on the hangers & try out different border fabrics at any time until I decide and the quilt top stays fairly flat until I'm ready to sew on the border.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 11:04 AM

Eileen

That is a great tip.  I don't have a design wall either.   Unfortunately though I can't reach the pipes in my basement....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 695
Trisha replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 11:51 AM

My husband cut me a piece of Luan 38x48. I put masking tape on all the edges. It is light enough to carry.  I clip a piece of flannel on it with binder clips when I need a design wall. I also can use it to put my Baby quilts together. I cover up my kitchen table and put it right on top of it. No crawling around on the floor to pin it together.  It has been great. When I am done with it I slide it under the bed . Sometimes my husband can do something right.Ha ha

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 29,840
Ramona replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 2:44 PM

Eileen and Trisha,

Two great tips. Thanks for sharing!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Great tips Eileen and Trisha.

Margaret

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,782

Trisha and Eileen--

Thanks for the super tips!

Kissimmee, FL

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 7:21 PM

When I am trying to decide what fabric to use for a border, I lay the quilt on the bed and then audition different borders.  Sometimes the eye will fool you, so I usually take pictures with my digital camera and then look at the different borders on my computer screen.  Saved me from making some bad choices.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 7:56 PM

Great tip, I don't have a design wall, nor do I have any wall space for one.  I usually lay them out of a table and place different border fabrics around it.  I like the idea of taking pictures and I have done this and found several mistakes that I have made.  Only problem is once you find the really noticeable ones, you feel you just have to make it right.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,912
Points 420,614
gini replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 7:58 PM

eileen, great tip, i think the camera works better than a design wall sometimes.  

and i don't know what luan is.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,826
Points 43,854
Eileen replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 8:10 PM

Gini, I'd not heard of luan either so I asked "what is luan" on ask.com & got this:

Luan is a type of wood that is very similar to ply wood. Ply wood is made up of many thin sheets of wood glued together to form a sheet. Luan has a solid middle with thin sheets of veneer on the outsides. I wonder if foam core (very light weight "board", like paper over a thin foam middle) would work, too. You could cover a large piece with flannel & store it under a bed or against a wall (behind a large piece of furniture?) when not in use.

Nana, our basement has a low ceiling so even I, at 5' 3" tall, can reach the pipes :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:40 PM

Eileen and Gini

Luan is a cheap paneling.   I feel sure you ladies remember paneling from the 70s when everyone had paneling on their walls...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,912
Points 420,614
gini replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 11:10 PM

oh, sam sold tons of that stuff.  luan is a type of mahogany.   i didn't realize the paneling had taken the name of the wood.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,413
Points 19,295

Thanks for the great ti Eileen. I have not gotten to that point yet.  My only finished quilts were baby panel quilts and a very small 10" x 19" that was a kit. Unfortunately, in California, very few house have basements.  I don't even have a wall to hang one on.  I'm not sure what I will do as I am in the process of doing my first full quilt for a wedding in June. Thanks to all for your great tips.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,826
Points 43,854
Eileen replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 9:52 PM

Nana, we still have paneling - in our basement! LOL Well, now I think we know when it was put in, thanks to your post.  It will be coming out this year as we had flood damage last summer & are just now getting around to removing it.

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 905
rubyluise replied on Fri, May 25 2012 12:01 AM

I have very nice quilt but it was very simple due to design  So,I want to make something new through its design. I cut it all pieces with different colors 4.5'' and also the side boarders. I collect the all photos regarding my choice and put it on with sewing. It looks really very great and beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.