Quilting with Hankies

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,580 Posts
Points 23,980
Susie posted on Tue, Apr 3 2012 1:58 PM

I have a TON of my granny and great-granny's fancy hankies.  I would LOVE to be able to put them into a quilt, but have no idea how.  Some are really fancy, meaning that they are very sheer or lacy.  So they can't stand alone as a square.  But if I put a backing behind them, the detail gets lost.

Any suggestions on what to do with these marvelous treasures?

I also have a bunch of my great-uncle's favorite ties that I will work in as sashing or squares like a dresden plate.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 2:22 PM

Susie

This site has some pics of beautiful hankie quilts

bing.com/images/search?q=Butter Fly Hankie Quilt Pattern

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,232 Posts
Points 17,875

Susie - How lucky you are! When my mom passed away, I had pulled out a big stash of her hankies with the intention of doing just that but, somewhere along the line, I think they ended up in one of the Goodwill bags. It made me sad but, I hope that many others out there are getting good use from them.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,580 Posts
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 3:20 PM

Nana:

Susie

This site has some pics of beautiful hankie quilts

bing.com/images/search?q=Butter Fly Hankie Quilt Pattern

Thanks, Nana!  Some of them are beautiful!  But it looks like they are applique...and I don't have a clue how to do that.  Is there a tutorial that will show me how?  I'd hate to give it a shot and really ruin some of the fabulous keepsakes I have.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,580 Posts
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 3:21 PM

Sheila:

Susie - How lucky you are! When my mom passed away, I had pulled out a big stash of her hankies with the intention of doing just that but, somewhere along the line, I think they ended up in one of the Goodwill bags. It made me sad but, I hope that many others out there are getting good use from them.

That's how I feel about my Granny's favorite dress.  I would have SOOO loved to have it so I could include it in a memory quilt, but it disappeared & nobody could find it anywhere.  My feeling is that when she died, someone at the nursing home kept it.  It was homemade, but it was so cute--white with orange swirly fish all over it. She always called it her fishy dress.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 3:36 PM

Susie

Go here  Applique Group .   You will be able to get lots of good tips and ask any questions you may have.   Gini is great at helping with applique.   It really isn't as hard as it looks.   Come join us in the group.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

Can you suggest any books I can buy on the subject.  Thanks  Jean

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use