Top 10 Posters

Buying a sewing machine

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 140
quiltedchicken posted on Tue, Mar 27 2012 5:37 PM

I am a newbie. Is the Singer Confidence Quilter a decent machine?   I would love to have a Baby Lock or such, but can't afford the investment yet.  I need to replace a Kenmore sewing machine that has been around since my mother taught me to sew 30+ years ago.  I would love to machine quilt on it too.  Does anyone know anything about the Singer machine?  Is it a decent starter?  

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

I have heard a lot of negative comments about Singer machines unless it's the Heavy Duty model.  I owned one briefly many years ago and got rid of it after a couple years because I didn't like it.  I know it's not fair to compare a 30+ year old machine with the ones made today but the experience soured me on Singers.  Go to sewing.patternreview.com and check out the reviews on the machine you're interested in.  You will get opinions of owners.

If you have a Kenmore, you may be interested in checking out the Janome machines.  Janome made Kenmore for many years.  I've been told by my Janome dealer that Singer is now making Kenmore machines so you may find some recent Kenmores at Janome dealers because some have bought up all the remaining machines from the manufacturer.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 40

Been sewing and quilting for many years.  I was introduced to Janome seven years ago.  Just purchased my third one.  They are truly wonderful machines.  My new one is the Horizon 7700 (quilting version).  It's amazing, however it is quite pricey (worth every penny).  I know that Janome has a small machine that is very user-friendly.  I believe it costs about $200.  You can go on up from there.  You won't be disappointed.  Good luck.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

amronear:

Been sewing and quilting for many years.  I was introduced to Janome seven years ago.  Just purchased my third one.  They are truly wonderful machines.  My new one is the Horizon 7700 (quilting version).  It's amazing, however it is quite pricey (worth every penny).  I know that Janome has a small machine that is very user-friendly.  I believe it costs about $200.  You can go on up from there.  You won't be disappointed.  Good luck.

I didn't mention in my previous post that my Janome is a MC6600.  The Horizon is a very nice machine, too.  It has a couple more inches of throat space than my 6600.  I also bought a 3160QDC a couple weeks ago as my portable machine for classes, retreats, etc.  It shares feet with my 6600 which helps.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

You can't go wrong with a Janome.  I have them from the $100 model up to a $1800 model.  That's always my recommendation if anyone asks me.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 8:39 AM

My auntie has the Singer Confidence Quilter. I've used it a few times. It's a decent machine. The biggest problem is it doesn't have the needle up/down, which is so important in quilting. (I think). You can find some really great machine's for the same price as the Singer, with a lot more quilter friendly features. Often LQS have 40 - 50% off their floor models. That's how I got my first machine.

The best advice I can give you is to do a lot of comparison shopping before you buy. Try all the machine's out and see what 'feels' right to you.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
Hi quiltedchicken! Welcome to the group, firstly! I guess I'm going to be different as usual. I recently bought a Singer Talent model and love it! My mom owned a singer and her mom before her. Grant you, I've never sewn on anything but a Singer, so maybe the other brands mentioned are better. You must also know that I'm a newbie as well. To me any sewing machine to me is a wonder because of all the things they can now do. In fact, I still don't know everything about my machine, such as, attaching the 'automatic needle threader', so what do I know, right? The most solid advice I can give is for you to not buy a machine that's too complicated for your knowledge of them. For a beginner like myself, I bought a machine that was fairly versatile but mostly suited my needs that I intended to use the machine for. I also wanted it to be easy to use and somewhat familiar to me, so I didn't want anything computerized. I hadn't touched a sewing machine since my pre-teens (in my 50's now), and couldn't be sure I'd even know how to use mine when it arrived. Take your time and buy what feels comfortable to you and fits your budget. I'm sure whatever you get will be perfect you. Good luck and Happy Quilting!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
467 Posts
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 10:27 AM

Hi! I am a Janome and Viking fan, after having several Singers , a Brother and Kenmore machines. My main machine is my Viking Sapphire 830 (a workhorse!) and my smaller one I carry to classes etc. is my Janome ( was under $200.00) and I love it too!

Pam

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,611 Posts
Points 119,380

Pam:
y main machine is my Viking Sapphire 830 (a workhorse!)

Me too. I have the Viking Sapphire 830 and really like this machine. Plus a little Baby Lock Audrey for classes.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,199 Posts
Points 16,075

Welcome! I have a Singer Confidence that I bought two years ago when I started quilting. Its been a good machine but I like my Brother 9000 better. Janome is what Im saving for. If I were you, try out some before you buy, The saleslady at Joann,s let me try out the Confidence and then spent 2 hours showing me all the features, so if you do get one, have them show you around the machine.  Hope this helps!                                   Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,020 Posts
Points 28,490

quiltedchicken,

Welcome to the site. I have a Husqavarna Viking Sapphire. Absolutely love it. Had  Janome before this and wore it out after 10 years of making quilts and clothes, a singer and another singer my Mom bought me in high school. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that Singer, Janome, Viking and Pfaff are all one of the same company. Maybe it's Singer and Janome are the same and Viking and Pfaff are the same. :-)

Viking has some good sales and good buys on used machines.

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

Ramona:
I've heard that Singer, Janome, Viking and Pfaff are all one of the same company. Maybe it's Singer and Janome are the same and Viking and Pfaff are the same. :-)

Hi Ramona,

The info I got recently is that Janome & Elna are owned by the same company, Janome.  Janome used to make Kenmore until very recently and now Singer makes them.  Viking acquired White several years ago or another company bought the two, not sure which.  Don't know how it is now.  I never hear much about White.  Pfaff is made in Germany.  I haven't heard that they are with any other brand.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,353 Posts
Points 37,030
Linda replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:47 PM

Sheri A.:

Ramona:
I've heard that Singer, Janome, Viking and Pfaff are all one of the same company. Maybe it's Singer and Janome are the same and Viking and Pfaff are the same. :-)

Hi Ramona,

The info I got recently is that Janome & Elna are owned by the same company, Janome.  Janome used to make Kenmore until very recently and now Singer makes them.  Viking acquired White several years ago or another company bought the two, not sure which.  Don't know how it is now.  I never hear much about White.  Pfaff is made in Germany.  I haven't heard that they are with any other brand.

When I bought my Elna, I was really wanted another Pfaff. I was told that Elna and Pfaff are made by the same company now.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,020 Posts
Points 28,490

Thanks Sheri and Linda,

Appreciate the information. I do know that you need to double check where the new machines are made these days.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,353 Posts
Points 37,030
Linda replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:56 PM

Hi Ramona,

When I bought my Elna, I really wanted another Pfaff. They told me that Elna and Pfaff were made by the same people now. Didn't hesitate to trade in my Janome on it!! Hated that machine. I know some of you out there love your Janome, but I love my German machines. The Elna has turned out to be a fantastic machine and I don't regret buying her at all. I still have my Pfaff of probably 35+ years now. She's been dropped, traveled across country twice, moved around Ohio and Arizona several times, my grandson turned every knob and pushed every button on her, and she still hums and sews like a dream. Wonderful machine!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use