Top 10 Posters

Making Quilt Square

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 890
lizbonner posted on Wed, Mar 21 2012 1:40 PM

Hello All,

I am finally back up and sewing again and have finished piecing the top of Michelle's Chemo Quilt. But I noticed that when I was folding it to take it to quilter that it is uneven. I do hope that Michelle will enjoy hours of comfort...which is what the quilt is .....a comfort quilt...but I am so frustrated at the result. I do love the colors and pattern. I think I had too much bias in pattern....I do not know.....any suggestions for straightening it up????

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,014 Posts
Points 250,834
Suggested by Barbara

Liz, your might try washing it and then blocking it , this may help , I hope there are better suggestions out there for you ,but this is the only one I can thinkof at this time. barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,245
Answered (Not Verified) Dara replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:05 PM
Suggested by Dara

If Barbara's suggestion doesn't do the trick. You might consider adding a 3 inch or wider border all the way around and then trimming it to make it square/rectangular.  I've found that the eye can't see small differences.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
371 Posts
Points 6,495

Hello Liz;

I hope you find your answer to this question.  I also have that problem and would like to know what to do about it.  I figured that if I squared it up, then that might resolve the problem.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,136 Posts
Points 29,955
Ramona replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:36 PM

lizbonner,

You've got a couple of good suggestions.  How far out of square is it? If it's not too bad, your quilter might be able to get it back in square for you or close. Maybe you want to ask her/him before you do anything.

Do you have a picture? Great for you to make this top for Michelle. It'll certainly be appreciate, I'm sure.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 9:59 PM

Liz, I have the same question. How far off is it? If its not really out of square I wouldn't bother trying to straightening it. After all its a comfort quilt not a show quilt.

I usually take 12 1/2"  square up ruler and put it in a four corners and trim the excess. Then you can use your 24" ruler to straighten the side. I've done this a few times to straighten my quilt tops out a bit. Its not always perfect but so much easier than blocking a quilt.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 890

I did post picture tonight!

I realized that it is only about 1/2 to 1" off in width the length is perfect..matches seam to seam!

Thanks for your help!

I think I will take it to quilter and let her look and see what her recommendation is but honestly....for me it is complete unless of course she says otherwise.

Thanks for being so kind to respond. Us newbies are a bit dorky but we are trying. Couldnt do it without you all guiding us.

Thanks so much

Liz

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,777 Posts
Points 245,587
Thea replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 12:10 AM

I would wait till you get it quilted - and then block and square it for the binding part.  If it is a bias thing that usually does the trick - 

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 890

Thea,

Thanks so much for responding!!!

Fortunately I have a WONDERFULLY SUPERB quilter who has done quilting for me in the past...I am still learning quilting and honestly just haven't been brave enough.

My quilter is sooooooo wonderful she completely finishes the quilt so maybe she will have a miracle up her sleeve as well.

Thanks again!

Liz

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 890

Barbara,

Thanks for your kind response...although I am unfamiliar with washing and blocking, my quilter has advised that I just let her take a look in person and go from there.

Wish you were closer so I could run over to your house and you wave your magical wand over it and POOF a finished quilt...lol

Thanks for all your guidance for us Newbies...we can be dorky...lol

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use