Top 10 Posters

Help! I Need an easy quilt pattern for 6 1/2 inch squares in bright colors

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 190
looweez posted on Sat, Mar 17 2012 3:10 PM

I have 12 printed squares, 6 1/2 inches,  with sort of astrological pictures, in bright colors of yellows, blues, purples, mauves etc.    I want to make a queen-size quilt using these squares but am having problems coming up with a pattern to incorporate them.  I thought of trip around the world, but I thought the squares would be too big.  I have several pieces of fabric in matching colors (I bet my stash is bigger than your stash lol!)  Does anyone have a suggestion?  I want to use at least 4 or 5 solid colors and a stripe in co-ordinating colors.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 310
Verified by looweez

Looweez,

I personally think I would use a spiral or a star design.  the one below (a string quilt block) can be found at:   http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StringQuiltBlock.html

QuiltersCache.com has some of the most wonderful designs and they are all FREE!!!

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 3:30 PM

looweez,

Can you post a picture of the blocks just for fun? Are they are point or does the design sit square? I was thinking if you could build on those blocks by adding some of your different fabrics around the printed squares. You could also add HSTor flying geese and corners around the blocks making star points since they are astrological theme.

Also, I want to welcome you to the site!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,560 Posts
Points 246,142
Thea replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 3:57 PM

Did you think of making star blocks out of them- flying geese blocks on all sides with squares in the corners - can't for the life of me at the moment think of the name of the block - similar to an Ohio Star I think - but you could make them all that way - 3 x 6" flying geese which would make your blocks end up around 12"  - then you could sash and do smaller star blocks for corner stones... would be very pretty.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 4:49 PM

Hi Looweez,  Welcome to the gang.  You could use them as the centers for log cabin blocks.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,884
gini replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 5:45 PM

hi looweez, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,218 Posts
Points 16,395

Welcome, Looweez! Tell us a little about your self. Where are you from? How long have you been quilting? Not being nosy just want to get to know you.  I think some others have given you some good ideas. Hope you come back and chat with us.   Susan, North, Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 8:13 PM

Welcome Looweez

You have gotten some good advice.  I personally like the star block idea.  

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 190

You've got me thinking!  Looking in QuiltersCache for large blocks that might work.  Thanks for reply and inspiration!

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 190

Good idea, I will mull it over lol.  thanks for reply!

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 190

Oh oh looks like I might be getting myself into a group lol.  I'm a year away from retiring from full-time nursing, have been quilting sporadically for about 8 yrs but would consider myself a confident beginner.  Have been a sewer for 50+ yrs.  Quilting has become a passion - have my own sewing room with shelves of fairly-organized fabrics, bins of scraps, dozens of books, etc.  I've made a few bed-sized quilts, lots of lap and baby quilts (gotta try QUAG for bigger) 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Looweez, welcome to the club, looks like you have been given some great ideas,I to like the stars,and Thea always has beautiful quilts . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,388 Posts
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 5:51 AM

Welcome! You've come to a great place to ask for help!! You could also do a square within a square. But personally I like Thea's star idea best.

Hugs,

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 310
Verified by looweez

Looweez,

I personally think I would use a spiral or a star design.  the one below (a string quilt block) can be found at:   http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StringQuiltBlock.html

QuiltersCache.com has some of the most wonderful designs and they are all FREE!!!

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 310

Well darn!! the pictures didn't show up. Will try again.

This is a string quilt block, it's 7", but no prob clipping off 1/4" each side....

But the link I gave you in my 1st posting will give ALL kinds of quilt patterns! Also, think about stitching  complementary color spirals on solid color blocks to expand your quilt size. Have fun! Sunny Sandy

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use