machine quilting a gfg quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
109 Posts
Points 2,360
1Lori posted on Fri, Mar 16 2012 3:01 PM

I have finally finished gfg quilt. I want to machine quilt it, but have no idea what to do. Should I machine quilt each hex or do an all over design.  Btw the blue is actually green and the fabric is 1930's from auctions I picked up. I hand pieced the hex's but am not into hand quilting. I just want to get it done, I am tired of working on it. lol Any suggestions?

• | Post Points: 155

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 3:04 PM

have you gon e to google images to see if they have some you can look at

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 3:06 PM

almost all of them are quilted 1/4 inch in from the edges of the hexagon

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,495 Posts
Points 47,945

You have done a wonderful job, i am also working on English Paper pieced one Field of Diamonds so slightly different formation than yours, but i think mine wont be finished for another year, so a huge well done to you for finishing yours, for any one who hasnt done one of these it is lots and lots of hours spent on it.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 3:23 PM

and there i go with my one track mind,  focused on the question and forgot to tell you how much i like your quilt.  it's beautiful,   nice work.

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
109 Posts
Points 2,360
1Lori replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 3:33 PM

thanks gini and frances for the kind remarks.

When I started it I had no idea what I was in for. Now I would like to get it finished before I get to old. lol I figure if I hand quilt it going around the hex's it will take another year, thats why I thought I would machine quilt it. I don't think an all over design would look good, so I guess I will fmq it around the hex's and hope for the best lol.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 3:56 PM

Lori

Your quilt is beautiful.  This is another favorite pattern of mine but haven't worked up the courage to even think about doing one.   Kudos to you for finishing it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,012 Posts
Points 28,345
Ramona replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 4:00 PM

Lori,

What a beautiful job you have done! I don't think I could bite off anything that intense. I have to have faster results. lol I think the quarter inch quilting is the way to go to keep it more traditional. You were probably looking at something a little easier to do since it's been so long in getting this far. Job well done! I'm just not a hand piecing kind of gal.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
109 Posts
Points 2,360
1Lori replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 4:07 PM

Thank you Nana I always wanted to do one.

Ramona thank you. I am not a hand piecing kind of gal any more. This quilt was way to intense for me. I also like quick results. This is my one and only. lol I will really be glad when it's done!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Beautiful Job! 1Lori,

I started mine on Feb 14,2010 and just put the last flower last week, now to borders and quilting.  I worked so hard on this quilt all by hand that I have decided to finish it by hand as well. My longarm will be busy with other quilts for quite some time anyway! LOL

Judylee

Again Your quilt is Beautiful!

Top 50 Contributor
2,705 Posts
Points 38,185
ls2116 replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 5:33 PM

I would do stitch in a ditch.  it looks beautiful, one of these days i'llget around to making a gfg.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Lori, your quilt is just gorgeous ,I wish I had an answer for you on the quilting ,I just have no idea,but I'm konw what ever you do it will be stunning. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
109 Posts
Points 2,360
1Lori replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 5:54 PM

Thank you Judy Lee, ls2116, and Barbara. 

ls2116 I like the idea of in the ditch. I think I will try in the ditch and around the hex's and see which looks best.  Thanks  y'all for all the encourgement, nice comments and ideas.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
466 Posts
Points 9,105
Pat A replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 6:03 PM

Kudos Lori1 for your beautiful GFG quilt.  I am in the middle of doing one.  I have all of the flowers finished and now in the process of putting on the white borders around each flower and then the green path.l  I've been working on mine for about 1 1/2 years.  Its nice because I can work on it while watching televiision, etc.  As far as quilting goes I have only seen the 1/4 "quilting around each octagon.  My mother made twoand grandmothers made several and that was the only quilting they did. 

Good luck on the quilting.  And again  Congratulations on your beautiful quilt. 

Pat A. in KY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

1Lori,

I have quilted several GFG quilts and one of the things that I learned, especially on the antique one, was not to stitch in the ditch over my hand stitches. The sewing machine needle cuts the hand stitches. When you google GFG quilts you will find many different ways to quilt them . I liked the 1/4 inch inside the center hex and then followed a seam to the outside of the next row of petals and it made the flower puff up a little. too cool.  I don't remember the websites that I went to but Google has them.

Good luck,

Judylee

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use