Tip--Storage

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 100
strawberry mountain Posted: Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:03 PM

When I begin a quilt, I put the fabric into a plastic storage tub.  In a large plastic medicine bottle I put a spool of thread and bobbin if I am using the machine or a spool of thread and a thimble if it will be a hand sewn project.  In the plastic storage tub I also include scissors for cutting thread.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:23 PM

Great tip.  Thanks for sharing.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

While I am working on a quilt top I too use a bin, I have several of the containers from Iris that are large enough to hold all the fabrics that will be used and tools if needed and of course the pattern or magazine. It is the best project keeper I have found and they do not sweat the fabrics as some plastics will do. I live in a high humidity state and plastic is not a fabrics best friend, but these are made for fabric and scrapbook supplies. I bought three at Joann's last year  when I started doing mystery quilts. About 13 bucks, half price for the large one 17 1/4 x 14 1/8 x 6 1/8.

Carylanne
in Texas

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 2:27 PM

i kinda do the same thing.   i am usually working on several quilts at a time, and i   have a large tub that all the stuff for those quilts is thrown into.   if i know i won't be working on a quilt for a while, i will put it away in it's own bin with all the fabric  the patterns, and most of the time detailed notes on how i wanted to finish it.

what is   Iris?

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Gini, Iris is the company name on the bins I bought, they are very similar to the ones Joann has in store made by art bin. These are archival for scrap booking. So they are suppose to protect the papers and fabrics from heat, someone once said not to put fabrics in the sun nor the plastic containers that seal, like rubbermaid or sterlite. I'm just saying.. LOL   ( I'm in the gulf of Mexico, practically) Very Humid year around
Carylanne
in Texas

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,428
Points 38,310
Linda replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 7:00 AM

I've been storing fabric in plastic Sterlite bins for years and never had a problem. They work well for me. No moisture gets in, never had any fading from sun, no nothing...keeps the fabrics nicely.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260
Darlene replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 10:45 PM

Linda:

I've been storing fabric in plastic Sterlite bins for years and never had a problem. They work well for me. No moisture gets in, never had any fading from sun, no nothing...keeps the fabrics nicely.

If you live where you might need to worry about moisture, save the silicone packs that come in purses and shoes to place in your plastic bins.

i also have been storing in Sterlite and Rubbermaid bins for years with good luck.

Darlene

from Western New York

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 905
rubyluise replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:58 PM

I have plastic storage fabric bin in which I can keep my all stuff like bobbins,thread , buttons,scissors etc. I also want to know ruler fabric style which can help me to keep fabric well manged. I have also plastic tiny bottle to store different style buttons.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sat, May 19 2012 9:06 AM

I use the clear plastic bins for storage. Have done so for 20 years and never had a problem. I keep a printed copy of the pattern, if there is one or reference materials, sketches, etc in the same bin. I don't keep other supplies, unless they are project specific, in the bin. I have a small metal tin that holds the hand stitching items like needles, thread scissors. I have another set of basic supplies in a fabric bag. I only have to add the thread and actual project  and slide it in my tote for the times I plan to take it with me for appointments, etc.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, May 19 2012 10:12 AM

Here are my project boxes...some of them.  Pretty.  Now to actually finish them and stop buying more!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, May 19 2012 10:14 AM

Jeanine, all I can say is "Wow!"

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Sat, May 19 2012 10:20 AM

Well, now I am thoroughly jealouis.  Color coordinated no less, and you have more then me. 

Really looks good.  I have mine stashed in the closet and under the bed.  and they are different sizes and different color handles.  Guess i will have to start over. lol

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

I use these baskets on my table with active UFO's in them. Easy to pick up what I want to work on and switch during the day.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

Jeanine...where did you get those? Love the color!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, May 19 2012 1:11 PM

I got them at Target.  They are the perfect size for the cubbies.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use