Top 10 Posters

building a stash

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 175
Gramsy3 posted on Thu, Mar 15 2012 5:22 PM

How much fabric do you recommend buying when building a stash?

• | Post Points: 65

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Answered (Verified) Ramona replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:39 PM
Verified by Gramsy3

Gramsy3,

As much fabric as you can!! lol   When I first started buying for my "retirement stash" I would buy three yards of everything. I then realized that in making king size quilts sometimes 3 yards wasn't enough so I would try to decide which I might use as the border and binding and then buy 4 or 5 yards of that fabric. I also went to a few of the Hancock store closings and purchased all of what they had in fabric I liked or thought I might use. I continually add to my stash thinking of that "one day" quilt I'm going to make or thinking "I need more lights".  I guess there used to be that 3 yard minimum but now I buy what I can. I know what I have in mind for the fabric  may not be what it ends up being. :-)

• | Post Points: 40
Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,245
Answered (Verified) Dara replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 8:00 PM
Verified by Gramsy3

Hi Pam,  Welcome to the group.  For a while I bought a couple of yards of this and couple of that if the fabric appealed to me. Now I try (I don't always succeed) to buy only what I really need. I'm trying to use up what I have.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Answered (Verified) Ramona replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:39 PM
Verified by Gramsy3

Gramsy3,

As much fabric as you can!! lol   When I first started buying for my "retirement stash" I would buy three yards of everything. I then realized that in making king size quilts sometimes 3 yards wasn't enough so I would try to decide which I might use as the border and binding and then buy 4 or 5 yards of that fabric. I also went to a few of the Hancock store closings and purchased all of what they had in fabric I liked or thought I might use. I continually add to my stash thinking of that "one day" quilt I'm going to make or thinking "I need more lights".  I guess there used to be that 3 yard minimum but now I buy what I can. I know what I have in mind for the fabric  may not be what it ends up being. :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
gini replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:49 PM

hi gramsy, welcome to the group.  you can't have too much stash

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 175

Thanks Ramona.  I LOVE your quilting room!

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 175

Hi Gini,  Thanks for the welcome!  I've never been a part of a message board before.

Pam from Anchorage, Alaska

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 7:10 PM

Gramsy3,

Thank you. I'm sorry I missed welcoming you to the group.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,245
Answered (Verified) Dara replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 8:00 PM
Verified by Gramsy3

Hi Pam,  Welcome to the group.  For a while I bought a couple of yards of this and couple of that if the fabric appealed to me. Now I try (I don't always succeed) to buy only what I really need. I'm trying to use up what I have.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

Hey there I'm with Ramona when it came to fabrics, I bought at least 3 yards if I liked it a lot, 2 yards if I was thinking tote bags or purses from that piece. Then I started stash busting last year 2011; using what I had on hand was my sewing room motto. I have used much of the stash for swaps and for mystery quilts. My fabric stash has been depleted a bunch and now I am only buying what I need to complete a project or compliment my stash.

I have about 300 FQ, several Jelly Rolls and a few charm packs but on the whole my yardage is going away,slowly.  Perhaps you need to join a swap to build a scrappy stash of cuts. I may own only 300 yards now. My room used to look like a fabric shop as does Ramona's. LOVE IT.
On the other hand I have about 500 spools of thread.. LOL that is another thread.. LMAO 

Carylanne

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,508 Posts
Points 48,175

Hi Gramsy3,

I buy what i love, usually a metre at a time, i also buy fabric bundles from places like equilter.com. I find there selections give me a different choice of fabrics that i wouldnt normally buy, but that i sometimes need. I just havent worked out when to stop buying it.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Welcome Gramsy,

A stash by definition is that you fill every nook and cranny with as much fabric as it will hold,LOL!

Much like a squirrel stashing nuts for winter! One can never have enough NUTS! (quilters) 

Judylee

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 735
abbey replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 9:50 PM

I tend to just buy three yards all the time. Even  if it is for a specific project and I don't necessarily need that much for it. I really like scrappy quilts, so I'm fine with that.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use