Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,208
Points 16,210
Susan replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 6:15 PM

The plain grey border with thin red border is what I would choose> the red was the first thing I pictured. Keeps it simple too!     Susan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,680
Diana replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 6:20 PM

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.  I also like the idea of a thin red frame then the solid gray border with a couple prairie points.  Piano keys would be way too noisy and take away from the great blocks.

Diana in East Tn.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,542
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 6:21 PM

I too, like the addition of a thin red line with plain border.  Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Points 16,020
Sue replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 6:27 PM

Hi MaxNTopeka,

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents, I agree that a thin red border would look stunning, followed by the lighter grey outer border.  IMHO piano keys would detract from your wonky blocks, which are very pretty.  A few prairie points thrown around would tie the points within in the quilt to the borders.  Maybe the darker grey for the binding, the black, while dramatic, I think would be too much for this top.

Whatever you decide, it will be a wonderful quilt.  Please do post photos when you finish.

Sue, In the Piney Woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 6:29 PM

Max looks like the piano keys are taking a bad hit here LOL   barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563

The Quilt Daddy:
So maybe you should be a red border followed by the piano keys which would satisfy everyone who has given their opin ion.

I really like this idea. The top left block reminds me of a tuxedo and the red of a rose. What could bring it home more than the thought of music and piano.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,822
Points 365,972
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:15 PM

Lovely quilt Max. I agree that plain borders would work better than piano key borders. I like the idea of some prairie points as well.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:23 PM

Max

Now that everyone has given there 2 cents- I can't just sit by and not give mine.

First this quilt reminds me of a very elegant and understand man's tuxedo and I do Love it!  Keeping that in mind. I think the borders should be simple as in a "cummerbund" effect to accent the blocks. Thus, I love the ideas as others Nana, Gina etc. have suggested of doing a dark grey, black, borders/bands then bind it in red. I gotta think it would be so striking to bind it in Red as to add that touch of "rose" to the man's tuxedo!  Just my thoughts!

I think the piano keys would distract from your quilt and lose the over all effect you are trying to achieve -which is make the blocks the focus of your quilt.

Another beautiful quilt from you!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 8:15 PM

Max,

I like the thin red and grey border idea better than the piano keys. I think the red and grey will continue with the overall elegant look the quilt already has. IMHO 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

I love it when everyone agrees!  LOL!!!

I knew ya'll would come thru with some great ideas, and you did.  Thanks to each of you!  Looks like this quilt will take a little bit longer to finish than I planned. Thanks to all of you, I have decided what finishing touches I will do to the top. 

But your suggestions did touch off a spark of an idea I have just GOT to try.  But it will require a brief trip to the LQS this weekend since I am completely out of red.  By then I should have that spark fanned into a flame.

Thank you for your kind words about the wonky log cabin! You guys are so encouraging and supportive...better than Spandex!

Max

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:58 AM

MaxNTopeka:

But your suggestions did touch off a spark of an idea I have just GOT to try.  But it will require a brief trip to the LQS this weekend since I am completely out of red.  By then I should have that spark fanned into a flame.

Sounds exciting Max. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 378
Points 5,080
Annette replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:21 PM

Beautiful quilt Max.    I'll be anxious to see what you come up with.   I liked several of the suggestions - you may have to do another version or two so we can all vote on the visual results.

Annette

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use