Has anyone made a Quilt from Old Shirts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Mon, Mar 5 2012 1:17 PM

A frend of mine has asked me to make a quilt using her late husband's shirts.  Shirts are mostly cotton.

Any suggestions?

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949

Annie I just finished making 24 houses out of a ladys shirts and pants for her hubby ,I use a very mild stablizer for the shirts as they were worn and to keep then from getting wonky. it worked well for me and kept them in place very well . Some of them were slick  like polyster .but it came out really good . Hope this helped .Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949

Annie did she give you any idea on how she wanted these done? If not I would ask here ,if she just wants you to make a quilt any kind I'd do something easy like a nine patch  where you don't have to mess with HST ,LOL  or churn dash . they all make nice quilts .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 1:59 PM

Barbara,

Thanks,

I think I may do an even simpler quilt.  I was thinking of rectangles  maybe 3x6 or 4x8 and then stagger them, brick-like. Patricia, my friend says she wants a scappy look, but not with any points or designs, so I think rectangles may work best.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949

Annie  , yes I think that would  work great  like a fence rail  pattern . I would use some stablizer  if some of the fabric is thin, it will help ,  Good luck hope you will post a picture when you get finished . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 2:14 PM

Thanks again Barbara, and I'll be sure to post pictures.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,509
gini replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 3:49 PM

Annie when I started quilting all my fabric was old clothes and scraps.  They didn't wear as well, but they were strictly utilitarian to keep us warm and they were well used.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Annie,

You could also use those same bricks and make a coin quilt! sounds like fun.

Judylee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,618

Annie - some of the gals in my sewing guild have made memory quilts using shirts / blouses / dresses.  One gal has made over 700 memory bears using clothing.  Just remember that was all that our "foremothers" had to make quilts for their families.  I think Barbara's tip about some stabilizer if the shirts are thin is great. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I helped make three quilts out of a friend's late husbands shirts for their three daughters.  I designed it very simply so she could do most of the piecing.  We cut squares out of the shirts and made rectangles with three rows of two across.  She bought some fabric to sash around them and then added a border out of more squares from the shirt.  I tried to find a picture but have found one.  I know I didn't post them online because I didn't want to spoil their surprise.  They were simple but fit a quilt made of men's shirts.  Some of the shirts were knit so we added interfacing to them but other than that we didn't do anything special.  Backed it with flannel for a cuddly softness.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 7:25 PM

Marge & Janine,

Thanks for your help.  I will post pictures when I'm done with the top.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,494 Posts
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 10:17 PM

Annie, I have done 2 quilts and am working on 2 more using shirts of a friend's parent.  This is for the grandchildren.  I hope to be able to make one with stars and the other one I am not sure yet.  I guess it depends how much is left..  The first quilts I did worked well, they were mostly flannel shirts and brushed cotton.  they were still in good shape.   The first 2 grand children were very happy with theirs.  It just took me a long time to cut through the shirts as I knew the gentlemen very well and miss them.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 7:37 AM

Angele,

I know how you feel, I am hesitating making that first cut.  I hope I do him justice by making a quilt my friend will cherish for a long time.

Not Ranked
Female
35 Posts
Points 90
valerie replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 10:20 AM

I made a baby quilt using old plaid shirts. I did a star pattern and used the back of the shirts for the material as that part of the shirt is normally not as worn out as the front and arms.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 10:30 AM

Annie:
I know how you feel, I am hesitating making that first cut.  I hope I do him justice by making a quilt my friend will cherish for a long time.

Annie, I think this is a very sweet thing you are doing, and it sounds like you received some great advice from the gals here.  My friend Sandy who has been ill for years passed on Sunday morning.  I wish I had thought to ask her if she would like any of her shirts/dresses made into quilts for the grandkids.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use