Top 10 Posters

Anyone out there having to wear wrist splints and still able to quilt?

Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 1,980
Kate replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 4:44 AM

Kris:

Beth,

when I was in the army I got shots in both wrists and thumbs then had doctors orders to do "nothing that involved the thumbs". My sergeant called it the "dead man's profile". I went to work but just sat there. LOL

The shots did not help my hand but I've gotten them in my neck, shoulders, right knee and hips. Can't have too many of them though as they cause damage over time.

Can't have too many of them though as they cause damage over time.

Beth,

I agree, I've had 3 injections of steroid into the bursas in both hips and was not warned about side effects, and now I'm left with big indentations my hubby calls 'dimples' on my hips, I was so upset not to be warned because I've still got the same problems with my hips but now they look unsightly too.  I don't know how this would affect smaller joints however, but I'll always ask more questions in future.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 1,980
Kate replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 4:45 AM

oops, sorry, I meant to reply to Kris. K

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 7:28 AM

when I was diagnosed with Carpel tunnel syndrome, I was also diagnosed for my thumb.  The md said that it could go from carpel tunnel involving your hands, wrist, THUMB, and run all the way up into the shoulder.  He did have another word for the Thumb part of which I can not say or spell.   My ELBOW was also involved.  I debated back and forth over surgery or not.  some said it was great, some said it was a waste of time, pain, and money.  When I went to the md with my concerns he said that the surgery might not work........so that is where you get the some do/some do not  conversation.  For me, it worked and again, it was the best thing I ever did..
However, I was warned not to do anything for more than 8 hours a day.   I was doing double that time.

I have since learned to listen to my hands.

good luck

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,750
Agnes replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 7:55 AM

KATHY :
run all the way up into the shoulder.

Kathy--Mine ran either all the way on the top of the arm up the shoulder into the head or on the side and continued down the side of my body to the waist.  The first MD I went to diagnosed the pain on my right side as "Not my heart." No, dummy, the heart is on the left side.I was so mad I went to see the chiropractor who started me with the splints.Being in a small town at the time it was a while before I found a doctor that actually did x-rays ,etc before I saw a neurologist. His answer was Surgery was the only answer. My research said not so. That's when I saw the physiotherapist. 

KATHY :
I have since learned to listen to my hands.

And I keep listening so I don't get into such a bad spot again.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 5:32 PM

mine didn't go into my shoulder. just to my elbow

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 930
Beth replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 6:02 PM

Today I got a letter from my doctor saying I have significant changes to my osteoarthritis, particularly at the base of my thumbs.  (News??..... Not)  Any way I ended up going back to the orthotics department and having them look at the splints.  Apparently I wasn't wearing them quite right.  That is now fixed.  AND they gave me some of the sleeving material they use before putting on a cast.  I will cut up sections to use under the part that bothers me.  I think things are going to be fine now.  AND at least I can use my sewing machine.

I need to stay home long enough to get the machine working but so far, not happening.  I worked some up in my crafting studio today and got out my other machine.  I have some work to do on it too.

from northeast Pennsylvania

http://agardenersart.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use