Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 71 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 69 70 71 72 73 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,203 Replies | 109 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 2,370

Ashley, I checked out the link on one of the other comments re: scraps. I do have the rolling carts and use them for larger pieces. So far I have the plasic shoe boxes for smaller pieces [ squares, strips etc.] I lay them in neatly. I have one for solids, one for prints in each size . I usually leave anything the size of 1 yard whole just cutting off odd angles. these shoe boxes are all labled as to contents and sit on a book shelf for easy viewing and acessability. when a box starts to overflow its time to make a quilt. I hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 2,395

Ashley:

I have a general stash organization question for the experienced quilters.  When you have leftovers from a project, how do you store them?  Do you keep the pieces as large as possible?  Do you immediately cut it up into strips or squares?  If so, what size? 

I currently have a very small stash that is very poorly organized.  One of my summer projects is to get my stash organized so I can actually use the fabric I have instead of always buying more (as fun as that is).  I'd appreciate any advice!

Hi Ashley,

I sort scraps by the major color in the fabric, fold them to roughly 10" x 6" and store them in labeled lidded plastic boxes with the folded pieces standing on end like index cards in a file drawer, so you can open the box and see the edge of every piece in there.  If I get really crazy I sort them light to dark but they generally don't stay sorted long if you're working from your stash.  I have boxes for red/pink, yellow/gold/orange, green, blue, purple, brown, black/gray, and neutrals.  I don't stack the fabrics in boxes  because I don't want to have to remove layers to see what I have.  I also keep themed fabrics like Christmas stuff separate.  

I keep leftover pieces uncut because you never know what you will need next time. Although  I have made many quilts by Bonnie Hunter, who has her "scrap user's system" of cutting standard size pieces suited to her designs, I don't use her system.  It's good to have the flexibility to cut what you need at the moment.  Also, I don't use some of the specialty rulers for things like HSTs and flying geese and will often need an odd size piece (not an even inch or half inch).

Larger pieces and long cuts are folded and stored on a shelf separately.  I like very scrappy quilts so I never buy a large amount of anything unless I think it would make a good backing or border.   Sometimes I make a quilt from fabrics that were purchased especially for that project, and have much left over.  I have been putting those scraps in zipper bags and when I get a good amount donating them to one of several sewing groups that make charity quilts.  With the extent of my stash, I never miss them, and they go to do some good.

Organizing your stash will be a trip down memory lane as you see the remnants of old projects.  It's quite fun to follow your fabric tastes through your stash.   

Jan, the Calico Quilter

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 2,370

Ashley, I forgot to mention in my earlier post....I also love ART BIN boxes for fat quarters I have 8 full of fat quarters. one is all landscape fabric , one for red-white-and blue fabrics,one has all the fabric I bought for MQ4 which I never got to....yet.  A couple are just misc . fabrics I bought cause I liked them. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination. Have fun.....

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,274
Points 26,970
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 7:00 PM

Jan, the Calico Quilter:

I sort scraps by the major color in the fabric, fold them to roughly 10" x 6" and store them in labeled lidded plastic boxes with the folded pieces standing on end like index cards in a file drawer, so you can open the box and see the edge of every piece in there.  If I get really crazy I sort them light to dark but they generally don't stay sorted long if you're working from your stash.  I have boxes for red/pink, yellow/gold/orange, green, blue, purple, brown, black/gray, and neutrals.  I don't stack the fabrics in boxes  because I don't want to have to remove layers to see what I have.  I also keep themed fabrics like Christmas stuff separate.  

Ashley, I sort mine the same but fold smaller to fit in plastic shoe boxes.  They are also filed by color.  I also cut smaller scraps like Bonnie Hunter and also put them in shoe boxes by strip-width - whether strip or square.  Need more boxes to separate my strips from squares (also more shelves to hold them!).  Almost made this quilt from 2 1/2" box, but decided to use a different set of fabrics, so have to cut!!!  Have nearly 250 squares cut so far.  Haven't had much time to cut yet.

Marsha - Western New York

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 630

Finally, here are my four patches, I finished them the beginning of the week but didn't have time to set them out to take a pic of them. Anyway, here they are in all their splendor lol.

Anita, Calgary, AB

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 38,890
Mimi replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 8:35 PM

Anita Coutu:
here are my four patches

Nice warm colors Anita C.  Just looking at it makes me warm and cozy.  Tomorrow's the next step and you look like you are ready.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 38,890
Mimi replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 8:37 PM

Like Anita I had my four patches done on Saturday but was busy with EOY stuff for school and sewing some charity quilt tops.  Here is a sampling of my finished step 1.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,109
Points 110,295

Anita Coutu:

Finally, here are my four patches, I finished them the beginning of the week but didn't have time to set them out to take a pic of them. Anyway, here they are in all their splendor lol.

Anita, Calgary, AB

I really like your fabrics and colors Anita. It will be beautiful.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 288
Points 4,470
Mary789 replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:29 PM

This is the first Mystery Quilt I join.  Last weekend I didn't expect to have all these 4patch blocks finished in time for the next step tomorrow.  There was one day that I baked for a Boy Scout barbecue bake sale, so I really didn't think I could have them all done, but here they are: pressed and squared.  I hope to keep up; so many of you all are so fast  :-) 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 844
Points 15,655

Anita, your blocks are so pretty.  They remind me of fall colors.  Very relaxing to look at too! 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 844
Points 15,655

Your colors remind me of jellybeans!  YUMM...It will certainly be a sweet quilt too.   Love it!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 630

Just a quick post to thank you for the welcomes and the comments on my squares. Half of the fabric in my quilt was in my fabric storage for a few years and I didn't know what I was going to do with it. What a wonderful resolution quilting is for using up fabric that you like too much to toss out. I love all that I have seen posted here, the squares are so beautful and inspirational too. Lots of ideas for my next quilt. I am so looking forward to tomorrow and the next step.

Karen, I simply love the name Yaya, what a wonderful version of Grandma. I'm a grandmother too and being one is probably top of my list of the best experiences in life. I read something the other day that pretty much sums up how I feel about being a grandmother - it went something like this:

Grandchildren fill a place in your heart that you didn't know was empty.

Cheers everyone!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 153
Points 2,170
Jeanne replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 10:48 PM

My poor little blocks are still in their box waiting on me to get to them. Sigh, it has been a busy week.  Just when I get to feeling better, Mr. Curves wants to run run run. We have been to buy more bee houses, more chickens, more this and more that.  Just thinking,,,,,,,no fabric was purchased........hmmm will make that up at market in a few weeks maybe!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 11:10 PM

Anita-

You might want to go back and edit or redo your signature to take out the spaces.  I had extra spaces in mine at first, too. I think that is what is happening with all the blank space on your posts.  Maybe...  Just a suggestion.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 305
Ashley replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 11:18 PM

I got  home tonight and, guess what, MY JELLY ROLL FINALLY ARRIVED!!!  I can start tomorrow night.  Hopefully, I'll catch up with all of you by the end of the weekend.

So happy!

Page 71 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 69 70 71 72 73 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use