Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 45 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,203 Replies | 109 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 6:28 AM

Susie:

Anita Coutu:

Also, what it's yardage equivalent is. Thanks so much.

Welcome Anita!

For the background fabric, you will want 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 yards (I bought more, just in case.)

For the smaller squares, if I did the math correctly, you will need 9 3/8 yard of material, based on 36" wide.  (14 blocks/strip--45 strips)

7 3/8 at 45" wide. (18 blocks/strip-35 strips)

Anita,

I think Susie may have had a typo in her yardage info.  If you have 44" wide fabric, you will need 3 yards.  If your fabric is only 36" wide, you will need 3.5 yards.

A jelly roll is typically 40 strips at 42" long x 2.5" wide.  2.5" x 40 strips = 100" / 36" = 2.7777 yds.  40 strips = 672 squares @ 2.5"

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 6:35 AM

REMINDER

If you have questions, please post them in the MQ VI Group.  That is where I look to see if anyone needs help.  Due to my work schedule, I don't have time every day to scroll through this thread looking for questions.  I do, however, check the group daily.  If you will post questions only in the group I can find them quickly and get answers back to you.

In the group, you will find a discussion thread for each step as we progress through the MQ.  Please post any question you have under the appropriate question so I can easly find it.

I want this to be a fun experience for everyone, but I need your help to do that so please help me by posting questions in the group.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 2,395

Jan, the Calico Quilter:

Well, I may be crazy but I've changed my plan for the mystery.  I ordered a jelly roll and some matching border fabric that hasn't come yet.  However, a few days ago I blogged about the ugliest fabric I ever bought, and it got me to thinking.  What if I built the mystery around that fabric?  I had enough for the border, and I had a piece of neutral for the background.  So, I dug into my stash closet and assembled 39 pieces of fabric which pull colors out of the "ugly" and make a coherent color story for a quilt.  I'm in the middle of cutting out all the 2 1/2" squares (628?  Really?).  It's a lot harder when you have to pull out each piece, press it, cut a strip, cut squares and then fold and put away the rest of the scrap.  I've only cut about 100 this evening.  Whew!  This is going to take a while.

Jan, the Calico Quilter

Well, I posted a photo of my "ugly fabric" and all the 2 1/2" squares that coordinate with it.  In my defense, I ordered that print online and thought the scale was smaller!  We'll see how this goes!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,291
Patti replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 7:50 AM

I shouldn't keep coming back to look at this page.  I just thought of the perfect background fabric, if I can get the right "brights" to go with it.  I will be stopping at 4 quilt shops Friday.  If a jelly roll of brights shows up, I am in.  If not, I take it as a sign that I am not supposed to do this. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,486
Points 22,015
Susie replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:11 AM

Anita Coutu:

Anita,

I think Susie may have had a typo in her yardage info.  If you have 44" wide fabric, you will need 3 yards.  If your fabric is only 36" wide, you will need 3.5 yards.

A jelly roll is typically 40 strips at 42" long x 2.5" wide.  2.5" x 40 strips = 100" / 36" = 2.7777 yds.  40 strips = 672 squares @ 2.5"

Well...I don't know where my brain was...and I thought I had written it all out correctly.  That's what I get for trying to do math in the afternoon.

Thanks so much Anita for catching my massive oops!  (Maybe that's why my stash/scrap/leftover pile is so big???)

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,486
Points 22,015
Susie replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:13 AM

Wow...I really need to get some caffeine today...Sandy caught my error...

So, have I confused everyone completely yet?  If not, I'll work on doing a better job :)

Chicagoland, Illinois

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 630

Beautiful background, can't wait to see the outcome!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 630

Thankyou toboth Susie and Sandy. Don't feel bad Susie, I caught the error before I went shopping and I appreciate the info just the same. Besides I learned a long time ago that you don't learn by getting it right all the time, you really do learn by your mistakes. Sandy thanks for catching that just in case I didn't, I appreciate that you are reviewing the chat here. Cheers!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 570
Donna replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 1:26 PM

I dont know how to post to this forum so I'm replying on your post.. would love opinions on my fabric selection for the Mystery quilt.  The larger white/green check is for the border4-1/2" ea (?) and the dark green for binding,.. The other "squares" of greens & browns will be cut as the 2-1/2" squares.  Do you think this will word. I would like to use my stash if i can.  Thank you!  Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 1:44 PM

Donna, I like your colors, but I think the larger check print may be too big of a print.  Check to see what the 4-1/2" squares would look like.  Do you have enough of any thing else for the background.  The dark green or the burgandy w/polka dots might work or anything else you have in a dustier hue like the fabrics on the right.  If you pull the right one, this might make a really pretty Christmas quilt without being too Chirstmasy.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,540

I like everything except the larger check print as well.

Northern VA

"Fabricologist Resource Center" ...now doesn't that sound more impressive than "fabric stash" ?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,486
Points 22,015
Susie replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 1:54 PM

I agree...the large check doesn't seem to match too well.  In 4.5" blocks, the checker pattern is going to be almost non-existent.

although, I do like the colors in it.  Maybe find a smaller plaid in a similary color scheme?  If not, I would go off the chart & try to pull something bold into the quilt.  Maybe a muted gray or a really light creme, just to give it some snap.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 7,100

Well, after cutting out for Mystery Quilt 6 I decided to invest in a Go Fabric Cutter. Joanne's had one on sale.

P B from Sunny Southern California

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 7,100

I just received my backing material for my Mystery Quilt 6. I decided to go with the 2 !/2" cream colored square with the leaves on it. There are so many darker colored squares, so I thought that the lighter color backing would set the quilt off. I will take a picture of it and post it so everyone can see it.

Pat B from Sunny Southern California

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 83
Points 1,005
Jackie replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 6:51 PM

I am considering buying one as well ;)

Page 45 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use