Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 129 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 127 128 129 130 131 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,203 Replies | 109 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Fri, May 18 2012 6:09 PM

Mia is a doll!  Oh yeah, and the blocks are great, too!  lol

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

ftkfowler:

Have my 16 blocks laid out with assistance from my helper Mia.

ftkfowler--Your cat Mia looks fabulous on your blocks.  I think she's claimed them.  Did you intend to be making a quilt for her?  :-)

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

I just finished Step 5.  It goes together pretty quickly. Now I have lots of time for the other things I need to do this weekend!  Can't believe we are almost to the Great Reveal for this MQ. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,125

Hi Judy,

check out Sandy's last message under "Discussions" she says there are supposed to be 24 blocks, not 16. Now i understand why i have so many left over. Just a little bit more work to do.

Janet

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Fri, May 18 2012 9:05 PM

I don't have enough blocks to make 24 and there isn't fabric left (which is unavailable any longer).  Now what to do???

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Janet Hanley:

Hi Judy,

check out Sandy's last message under "Discussions" she says there are supposed to be 24 blocks, not 16. Now i understand why i have so many left over. Just a little bit more work to do.

Janet

Hi Janet, glad you are working on the next step!   I counted 24 blocks when I finished Step 5.  I had a brief moment of panic that  I had put together too many blocks--so was relieved to see in Sandy's message that 24 was the correct number.  I so dislike like "unsewing".  And I dropped my favorite seam ripper 2 days ago breaking the tip, making it useless. :-(    

The is the second seam ripper of this model that I've broken.  I'm going to have to find another brand next time I'm shopping!  Anyone have any suggestions for a sturdy, ergonomic seam ripper that works well?

Happy Sewing!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 320
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Fri, May 18 2012 9:45 PM

Just finished my step 5, ready for next Friday.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 615
BarbS replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:08 PM

Hi Ladies.....I am just starting Step 5 and I am scratching my head on this step.  In step 2 I pressed all my seams toward the corners.   Now with the way we are joining these blocks together nothing will nest together this way.......are you repressing so they will lock together or just sewing them as they are??

Barb

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 165
ftkfowler replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:15 PM

So the instructions for Step 5 have not been changed, as of now, to 24.  I feel I should wait till they make it official. I have enough to do the extra 8 blocks. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,425
Points 40,390
Mimi replied on Fri, May 18 2012 11:07 PM

Barb S. 

I'm repressing mine.  The points are matching and the seams are nesting well. I am also twisting the center point to open it. But you should decide for yourself what you want to do. I also have trouble keeping the points together when there are too many layers to sew through.  That's just me though so go with your heart and have fun.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 42
Points 1,360
Jim replied on Sat, May 19 2012 12:59 AM

Tweety,

You should have had 96 blocks completed from Step 2.  When you sew 4 of those blocks together, you would end up with 24 blocks.  Did you not have enough to finish Step 2?  Depending on how short you are, you might be able to just "downsize" the quilt.  So instead of making it 6 blocks by 8 blocks, you could just do 6 blocks by 6 blocks.  Then you would only need 18 of the Step 5 blocks.  You would also need to shorten the strips you made in Step 3  to 4 strips that are 12 blocks each.  You will end up with a square quilt but I'm sure it will still look very nice.  Hope that helps and doesn't confuse :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Sat, May 19 2012 1:08 AM

Finished my step 5.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

BarbS:

In step 2 I pressed all my seams toward the corners.   Now with the way we are joining these blocks together nothing will nest together this way.......are you repressing so they will lock together or just sewing them as they are??

Hi Barb,
I like my seams to lock. I finger pressed one seam toward the center of the block when I paired a block to sew it. I wanted the lightest corner fabric to be the one pressed toward the center of the block so finger pressing it when I was pairing then block up made sense for me.  Then when I ironed it totally flat when I ironed the new seam I had just sewed.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,495
Christine replied on Sat, May 19 2012 7:55 AM

Barb S:

Using the wonderful suggestion from Mimi on a previous step, I'm repressing mine as I go along.  It's not that much extra work, and it nests a lot easier.  Thanks again for the suggestion, Mimi! It works wonderfully!   Luckily I'm a big baseball fan, so a lot of my sewing is done during the St Louis Cardinals ballgames :)  Still trying to catch up, but should be finished with Step 5 by Sunday.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155

I didn't repress the first 16 (didn't even occur to me) and they turned out fine, but what a pain!  The last 8 I'm definately gonna try repressing. Seems a lot easier...duh.  Gonna try to get them done before my twins' soccer game.  It's their last game and so far undefeated! Yippee!  Well off to press..or repress and sew.  Have a great day everyone!

Page 129 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 127 128 129 130 131 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use