Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 116 of 214 (3208 items) « First ... < Previous 114 115 116 117 118 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,207 Replies | 110 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,125

This is very cute Judy. i love the colors and the little fishies too!

Janet

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,125

Don't dispare Denise, a little every night and you will be done in no time!

Janet

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,387
Points 29,300
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, May 12 2012 10:32 AM

DEANNAC-2:

I don't know what I did wrong when pressing the 4-patches but some went left, some went right and now it's time to resew and press. Did anyone else run into this so that the Step 4 won't nest properly? I'd still rather do this than clean house!

I had to do the same thing last night.  I thought I caught all the "backward spinning" when I pressed them, but missed 3.  I did sew them together in 2s last night, pressing the wayward seam correctly, then re-seaming the faulty block.  Couldn't make a mistake this time as one seam went the proper way on one end.  Just had to re-press  in the proper direction and sew.  Have to finish the second seam on these 16 patches then WAIT - - -

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,942
Points 69,780
Bonita replied on Sat, May 12 2012 10:35 AM

Thanks Janet, I see you used some yellow in yours too. Love all the blues they look kie water.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 293
Points 4,535
Mary789 replied on Sat, May 12 2012 11:24 AM

I am working on step 3; since we don't know how many rows we are going to have, should I be pressing the seams to a side after I join the long rows of 12 and 16 blocks?  I do like to alternate seam directions row to row.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,763
Points 180,463
Marie replied on Sat, May 12 2012 11:29 AM

Very pretty Janet, looks good to me, good job!  Can't wait to see the finished quilt, it has me stumped.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,490
MizPat replied on Sat, May 12 2012 12:02 PM

I was just like a lot of you, making sure my foursies all nested.  Well, now we are at 16s and a lot of them won't go the way we wanted.  I've come to the conclusion that the nesting is nice, but not essential.  I try to nest them, but when the two I want to match, or the pairs of two to make the 16s won't, I just pin them to within an inch of their little lives and go on.  I know our quilting grandmothers didn't fuss about it - I have quilt tops pieced by both grandmothers and there are some blocks that don't nest and they are simple four and nine patches.

My "Urban Odyssey" is looking better, the longer I work with it.  Can't say I love it, but I like it better than I did when I started out!  Next week, I'll try to post pics.  My camera has gone into seclusion (in other words, I don't know where it is!) so I'll be taking pics with my phone.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 2,490
MizPat replied on Sat, May 12 2012 12:14 PM

Mary789:

I am working on step 3; since we don't know how many rows we are going to have, should I be pressing the seams to a side after I join the long rows of 12 and 16 blocks?  I do like to alternate seam directions row to row.

Hi Mary789, 

The step 3s are single rows.  Once you've done the two sets of 12 and 16, that's it.  There won't be another like row to join.  As for the rows they join to, all you can do is match as many seams as you can, since they probably will set to the 16s of step 4 or the blocks of step 3.  Lay them out and you'll see that, although there will be adjoining seams, they might not match, due to the previous seams you made.  I don't think, even had there been a pressing plan, that by the time you got to this point, it all would have meshed.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth!  It's quilting, you're supposed to be having fun!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,387
Points 29,300
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, May 12 2012 12:49 PM

Janet Hanley:

My only concern is the balence of color. I may need more red or more sailboat squares to balence the colors.

I think your balance of color is fine.  If you had more red, your eye would be drawn to that and away from the rest of the colors.  If the two fabrics are "sprinkled" around the quilt, everything will balance.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,970
Points 41,810
ls2116 replied on Sat, May 12 2012 1:12 PM

i probably did cuz mine go left and right too.  just can't seem to do everything exactly the same.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 437
Points 11,330
Donna replied on Sat, May 12 2012 1:16 PM

I am just getting ready to start on step 4.  But it is Saturday and I have all day to finish it.  Should be a problem to complete it in a couple of hours.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Janet Hanley:

Here is my step 4 all done. So glad the web site came back up yesterday. I came home from work last night and finished step 4.

My only concern is the balence of color. I may need more red or more sailboat squares to balence the colors.

Can't wait to see the final steps!

Janet

I like all the blues and greens, Janet.  I think it's good there isn't more red.  It's a watery quilt with the boats so I like the fact that is does look mostly watery!  

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
Points 8,490
didash replied on Sat, May 12 2012 2:54 PM

Janet...love your sailboat fabric...can you tell me who makes it? Did you order online or purchase locally? I haven't seen any like that and HAVE to get some! LOL! Being sailors, I tend to "collect" sailing themed fabrics...always find a use :)

Thanks in advance!  (BTW - your color balance looks fine to me - FWIW.)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Sat, May 12 2012 3:44 PM

Janet Hanley:

Here is my step 4 all done. So glad the web site came back up yesterday. I came home from work last night and finished step 4.

Can't wait to see the final steps!

Janet

Janet, 

I really like your fabrics!  The balance looks fine to me.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 2,705

Diane,  I know there are charts that give this info [I probably have them.] But I am a visual person so what I did was on scrap paper I drew  [ 2]    3 7/8 squares and proceeded as if it was fabric and drew the cutting and sewing lines.....folded the paper   on the sewing lines , cut on the cutting line and taped the two tri's to form the square.... measured it  mine was 3 1/2 inches.  Even doing math in school I had to do everything the long way , I just never trusted short cuts .Fortunately I also have patience to do everything  the long way. I just have to see how its done.    I hope this helps and didn't confuse you more. lol.  Fortunately I have the four in one flying geese ruler that takes all the math and hard work out because I usually make a lot of those. The one I have is by 'Lazy Girl". You never know you may want to make those one day too.     Betty

Page 116 of 214 (3208 items) « First ... < Previous 114 115 116 117 118 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use