Quilt Top

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,413 Posts
Points 19,295
Melissa Halpain posted on Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:43 PM

How many of you actually do your own quilting.  How many of you pay to have someone else do the quilting for you.  I am just learning free motion quilting and I'm wonder if it is worth it. The instructor told me to practice everyday for 20 minutes for 21 days and at the end of 21 days, I should have it down.  Thank you for your input.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,218 Posts
Points 253,489

Melissa ,I to do my own quilts on my home machine. I t just takes pratice and since I'm still learning I do pratice at least once a week .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,218 Posts
Points 253,489

Melissa ,I  also want to tell you we have a Fear No More -FMQ group in the group section which is free to join, we would love to have you join us  as we are all beginners . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,413 Posts
Points 19,295

Barbara,

Thank you for the invitation.  I just joined the group and have read some of the discussions.  I think I will really enjoy this group.  I am learning tips and getting a lot of help already.  Thank you so much for all the help.  The people on this site are so nice and helpful.  Again, thanks so much.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 150 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 11:28 AM

Melissa, I have always quilted my own quilts. I have never taking a class for anything quilty. I am totally self taught, (minus the lessons from my mom and sister of course!).  I am to frugal to spend the same amount or more than I spent on the fabric, to have someone else quilt it. Plus, I really love the feeling I get when I complete a quilt from start to finish. My quilts may have a few mistakes here and there but are truly my creations from start to finish. 

With all that said, there are a few downsides. The first being time. A close friend and fellow quilter, quilts her quilts on a long arm and is done 10 times faster than I am. The second, is perfection every time. Her quilts have perfect stitches every time and mine don't. The third, she is able to enter hers in quilt shows and I cannot because of the lack of perfection.

I would also like to add that when I realized how much I enjoyed machine quilting, I purchased a Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter. I has a wide throat and is wonderful for quilting all sizes of quilts. I can hook it up to a frame and purchase the equipment to make it a long arm but because of my disability and well lack of funds, I just use it as a sit down machine.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use