Finger "extension"

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane Posted: Sat, Feb 18 2012 10:17 AM

I have a pair of extremely pointy 4 inch long tweezers.  I use them to get a hold on the thread around my machine needle (no more almost poked finger) and for retrieving the bobbin thread end (especially when pulling it through to the top for machine quilting.)

Other handy uses are picking up seed beads, getting stray thread bits away from the parts on my machine, and picking out those last few tiny threads after I've ripped out a seam (or two or three.)

I've used them to make sure my feed dogs are clean of lint that the brush did not clear.  I've even used them to start a new spool of thread that had no end peeking out of the slot.

The extreme point and the 4 inch over-all length seem to be the features that make these tweezers the best multi-tasking tool in my sewing room.

Chews Landing, NJ

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 10:27 AM

Diane

Thanks for the tip.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 10:54 AM

I found my tweezers at the beauty supply store but I've also seen them in drug stores and discount stores.  They aren't expensive but in my sewing room they are indispensible.  Just make sure they are long enough over-all and very pointy at the business end.

Chews Landing, NJ

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 5:09 PM

Diane ,I to have some long tweezers ,but I did get mine at a LQS , they just happen to have some . thanks for the tip . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 5:18 PM

I don't know what LQS stands for... probably because I am new and haven't seen all the abbreviations and acronyms yet.

Chews Landing, NJ

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 5:30 PM

Diane

LQS    is local quilt shop.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 5:44 PM

Thanks!  I need to be dragged into the social side of the Internet.

My LQS did have tweezers which were long enough but the points were not needle sharp.  With the more rounded and "chubbier" tips I found I did not have the control for picking up tiny threads and reaching under my needle to retrieve the bobbin thread.

The tweezers I have now are made for surgeons and people who pull out their eyebrow hairs one at a (painful) time.  The business ends are nearly needle points which meet precisely.

Chews Landing, NJ

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 11:11 AM

Diane, ouch but that sounds painful just reading about pulling out eyebrows. but I do see the differnce in your then mine ,even though mine are still not bad . we have a big list on here somewhere that will explain all the quilting terms , I think its the dictonary ,you might check it out ,I still have to look up things at times ..LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Diane and welcome to the group. LQS = local quilt shop

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Diane, you can find some of the acronyms here:   New & Improved: QCA Quilters Dictionary

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

You can also find the long very pointed tweezers at hobby shops that supply model train and airplane builders.  I have also seen them at Habor Freight in the past.  Also, my favorite tool supply place: http://www.micromark.com/swiss-style-watchmakers-tweezer,6714.html

Max

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 3:39 PM

Excellent!!  Stamp collectors also use long pointed tweezers with precision ends. 

Great places to get fine tweezers.

Thanks for adding to my original posting.

Chews Landing, NJ

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use