Has anyone made a Pictorial Quilt?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Fri, Feb 17 2012 7:47 AM

I just finished watching Craftsy's Pictorial Quilting by Wendy Butler Berns and want to make one but am a bit intimidated by the process.  Has anyone made one and if so, can you offer some tips, hints, etc??

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,707 Posts
Points 364,362
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:09 AM

Annie,

I signed up for that class as well and I honestly think it leaves much to be desired.

Check out the Art Quilt Group and the Crazy Quilt Group. The members share their techniques and you'll find some great tips and tricks there.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:30 AM

Kris,

I'll check out those groups, thanks.

I liked the class, but am not that artistic. I can't seem to make the plunge and get started.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 11:02 AM

annie, i finished my first landscape quilt at christmas.  it is way easier than i thought, but there were a lot of, not problems exactly, but techniques i had to work through.  i did a bunch of thread painting after the background was done and it looked like a forest fire.   so i got some tulle to tame the redness.  it was a lot of fun trouble shooting.   there are several good books out there to help you get started.  i would check at your local library to see if they have books on the subject.   do jump right in, it's fun.   i am working on my second one right now and had to put it aside for a while to think about it.  the really cool thing is,  after i've  put it away for a week, when i get it back out, it looks way better than i remembered.   join us in the art quilt group.  there are several folks there and in the crazy group that can help you.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 11:03 AM

and annie, you're a quilter, you are way more artistic than you think. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 310

Hi Annie,

I am new here, but I made my hubby a 20 picture (  8in by 11 in )pic size. of him and his bird doggies and our farm and the cows.

I called it (His Memory Quilt) it is between a queen and king size. Lots of ink went into the quilt. And a lot of time. But, he loves it.

of course we don't put on the bed. Just for show. The best thing to remember is make sure you soak it in the right solutions so

if you have to wash it the color will stay in. I made mine with my fabric ironed on freezer paper. So much cheaper than the already made photo

fabrics. i had no directions, I just saw one, and said, I can do that. It was my very first quilt.I made in 2005, Then my sister had a stroke, so my quilting was basically shut down. Make it you or someone will love it. halei jo     (Joyce)

I went to the internet for help Google.

Joyce ( halei jo )

Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 310

halei jo here, and I apologize I thought you were talking abt. a picture quilt. My mistake, one of many, halei jo  (Joyce)

Joyce ( halei jo )

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Annie,

I was watching her last night.  Honestly I did learn about the overlapping of the fabrics but I use fusible interfacing like Eleanor Burns does.

Judylee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 6:43 PM

halei jo ( Joyce ):
I thought you were talking abt. a picture quilt. My mistake, one of many,

rest assured, you aren't the only one that gets confused.   there must be a perfect poster on here somewheres, i just can't think of one.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 7:00 PM

gini:
annie, i finished my first landscape quilt at christmas

Gini, do you happen to have a picture of the landscape quilt? I would love to see it.  I want to make a sunset landscape with a tree in the forefront.  I think I will just jump in.  The hardest step is the first one.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 7:01 PM

halei jo ( Joyce ):
I thought you were talking abt. a picture quilt

Joyce, please, no apologies, I learned something about picture quilts and I didn't even gave to ask, lol  

Thanks for sharing.....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:48 PM

Annie:
Gini, do you happen to have a picture of the landscape quilt?

yes it is in the art quilt group.  and all of the steps to get there, i'll hunt it down for you

i think i started posting on page 15, the finished product is on page 22.  if you go through the pages from 15 to 22 you can see my progress, some things that worked and some things that didn't.   from 10 or so feet away it almost looked like a photo. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:51 PM
here is the picture i was given.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 11:49 PM

Gina, I can't believe how beautiful it came out. It looks just like the picture. Wow!!!!  

You have inspired me to begin the process. 

Thank you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 12:00 AM

you're very welcome annie.  i hope to see you over in the art quilt group posting your progress.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use