Top 10 Posters

old hankie for didi salvatierra pattern?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane Posted: Thu, Feb 16 2012 2:01 PM

I went to a lecture by Didi Salvatierra, fabric artist, last night here in NJ.  She particularly focussed on borders and how to make them fun to do (and NOT boring.)  She is very creative which translates to "I came away with a lifetime of ideas."

While at the meeting I bought her pattern "Hanna's Hankie" and I now need an old hankie with 4 interesting corners.  I thought I had one of my grandmother's creations, but I find I do not.  I gave them to daughters and nieces as they married.

Does anyone have any ideas?

thank you!

PS  I'd be happy to receive a donation of a hankie.  I want to make the wall hanging twice - once for my 90 year old Mom and once for her 96 year old cousin.

Chews Landing, NJ

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 2:29 PM

dzn

Check at www.keepsakequilting.com    They sometimes have hankies for sale.   Also www.nancysnotions.com

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 2:30 PM

dzn

Check at www.keepsakequilting.com    They sometimes have hankies for sale.   Also www.nancysnotions.com

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 5:11 PM

Thank you very much!  I appreciate the information.

Chews Landing, NJ

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,106
Points 410,839
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 12:36 AM

you can get old hankies pretty cheap at antique malls

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 7:52 AM

I never thought of that.  I guess since I only shop at tack shops and quilt stores unless I need groceries, my shopping "view" of the world is limited.  <grin>

I will have to find some local antique stores.  THANKS!

Chews Landing, NJ

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 2,360
1Lori replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:33 AM

I've seen hankies at our local thrift shop pretty cheap.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 9:13 AM

LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!   I will check out the local area to see where there are thrift shops.  Good idea.

Chews Landing, NJ

replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 9:26 AM

Hi Diane, WhenI collected hankies for butterfly quilts, I went to Antique stores, and I also shopped on EBay. I got a lot of unique beautiful hankies , that didn't cost a fortune.  Look on eBay.    But be careful,you will want them all!!

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 12:38 PM

Excellent idea.  I only need (!) two hankies for the projects.  Meanwhile, the baby quilt is coming along and I cut out a second baby quilt last night.

Chews Landing, NJ

replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 1:15 PM

I would love to see your creation, or pattern when your done....  You will love the hankies on eBay... So many to chose from.......

replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 1:35 PM

Under search engine. Put in hankie you get more results

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:22 PM

Diane, if you have any Amish quilting stores in your area they have beautiful hankies for sale and they were not real expensive . that is where I got mine. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:40 PM

Although we are not close to Amish country we do occasionally go to Lancaster PA for dry goods and supplies.  I'm going to watch for hankies next time we go out that way.  We haven't been in over a year because my husband had a massive "heart event" that included 40 minutes of being dead then coming back to me.  He still isn't ready for a longish car trip.  I have other quilts to work on, but I do want to get the hankies done for the 90+ ladies in my life.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Chews Landing, NJ

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:43 PM

I will upload a picture when I am finished.  Meanwhile, the baby quilt is coming along and I cut out the second baby quilt.  Since this is all new to me I'm probably doing things more slowly than experienced piecers, but I'm having fun.  I've found I especially like piecing the backs of quilts - thinking, of course, that if the baby soils the front the back will be interesting.

Chews Landing, NJ

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use