Transferring a quilting design

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 75
kindley2 posted on Thu, Feb 9 2012 4:38 PM
I have a king size wedding ring quilt to do a lot of custom quilting on (using a long-arm).  The design requires me to mark one motif 105 times and another over 200.  The idea of transferring these designs directly on the quilt top does not appeal to me at all.  I've used tear away stabilizer before and that worked well.  I've also used quilting paper.  However, I was thinking of trying something new that would eliminate the need for me to copy the designs by hand. 

I used a laser copier and transfered the design to regular paper.  I put the paper, with the design printed on it, on a piece of fabric.  Using my home sewing machine, I quilted through the paper to the fabric.  I did this to see if any of the toner transferred to the fabric.  It didn't.  So, I was thinking of using paper piecing paper (for easy and clean removal) and copy the designs I need via the laser printer.  Then quilt through the paper onto the quilt.

I hope this makes sense.  My question is, has anyone else tried this and if so, what problems did they run into? 

Thank you
  • | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,300
Answered (Not Verified) Nana replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 4:42 PM
Suggested by gini

I have used this method before.   It actually works a little better with the longarm than it does with the domestic machine.   I had problems with the paper tearing when I was trying to repostion the quilt on my DSM.   You won't have this problem with the longarm.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,343 Posts
Points 254,929
Suggested by Barbara

here is another method I just found ,Atfer you copy your pattern take to your DM and remove the tread from the needle ,and stitch the pattern totally  then you can use your loose  chalk and a sponge type paint brush and dip in in the chulk , turn your pattern right side down on the fabric , this is because the holes are bigger and brush the chulk on till you have a good transfer . looks like it will work well ..just a suggestion cause you can reuse the stencil over several times Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Barbara,

I did that method too using clear transparencies.  I did put a rice bag on the bed of  my  quilting area because as I quilted at full speed, the quilt hopped and the chalk made it look like Miss Jewel was burning rubber.  LOL! I really like using the paint brush instead of the pounce.

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,089 Posts
Points 14,015
Carey replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 5:26 PM

You could also try the longarmer group they might have more suggestions there as well for transferring designs. I used tracing paper it is time consuming but works well for the design I am doing on my DM.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,343 Posts
Points 254,929

Judy Lee I have no luck with the bounce thingy ,I jsut can't get the stuff on . but I 'm gonna try the brush and itreally looks like it will work well ,nice to hear someone else has tried this. sue give me a better range of patterns  barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Good one, I'll have to try this on one of my quilts.  And if you get the right chalk it irons right off.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Barbara,

I am an artist and like to make my own patterns so using transparencies and the paint brush really works for me.  I use a sharp, then use a 90/14 jeans needle to make larger holes in the plastic, then I use the chalk on the paint brush and get a perfect image every time.  I showed my friend and she likes to use childrens coloring books to trace on the plastic.  She has made several really cute baby quilts.

Judylee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,343 Posts
Points 254,929
Barbara replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 11:19 AM

Judy Lee I would have never thought of a coloring book ,that is a really great idea, I am going to try this method next time I work on my fmq and see how it goes, I think I need to pick up some more 90/14 needles,mine are almost gone . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 8:53 AM

I wish I would have thought of that before I marked every motif on my king double wedding ring!!! It took weeks to mark every space!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.