Do you block your quilts?

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I'm lucky to get them quilted and bound, no way am I blocking!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:34 PM

Donna

I have never ever blocked a quilt, I remember blocking something I crocheted once. Boy that's seems Like tons of work and where would i put it after its blocked? No pun intended. I mean a King size quilt is huge. Where do you put it to dry when space is limited?  I am sure this is a great idea from her but I can't see myself doing it either.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 12:50 AM

Donna B:
I know Marge P blocks her quilts, so let's see what she says. 

Donna and all -  NO, I don't block my quilts - I do have my US Floral Map quilt that is my Avatar - and it should be washed and blocked as the sides do not hang straight on it where it is displayed in my entry way.  Having said that, I am sure I made that quilt before I changed my method of making borders.  I ALWAYS make borders from straight of grain lengthwise of fabric.  I really think it helps in not stretching when you are sewing the borders on, thus getting a nicer hang to them.  I may have to piece a border if I don't have enough length but I always do the lengthwise straight instead of the crosswise cuts.

I also make my bindings the same way.  I am also one of those who pre-wash fabrics if at all possible.  If I am using a pre-cut kit, I will try and stay with unwashed fabrics to go with the kit but when I do wash the finished quilt I use the Color Catcher sheets which I swear by. I always use the color catchers with any fabric.

I don't have the room to lay that quilt out if I washed it and then blocked it.  Also, perhaps it is too late to block it being as it has hung in its spot since about 2008.  I made the quilt in 2003 and it was folded up for years before we moved and I had a special quilt hanger made for it so I could display it. 

I remember blocking sweaters when I first knitted or crocheted them and of course doilies but have never done a quilt.  

Interesting question, Donna - guess I won't feel too bad if I don't ever block my USA Floral Map quilt.  I bet your quilt will really look wonderful after all the work and you are right, I am not a floor person! LOL

Marge P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 1:04 AM

Patti:
Marge P's quilts, by the way, do hang very nice.  No wavy edges on hers, and she has had a lot winning grand champions at the county fair.  I always love her quilts.  I think she had one for the year 2000 that had 2000 different fabrics in it. 

Thanks, Patti - you are making me blush!  I didn't make a 2000 quilt with the different fabrics but did make the Diary Quilt for 2001.  It has 384 blocks in it, and I actually started it on December 31, 2000 as our first calf for 2001 was born early  so being as I planned to have the whole calving season recorded on the quilt, I started it one day early.  Then there was a block for 2001, January and every day in January - went through the whole year adding a block for the 1st day of Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter - had 3 blocks for 9/11 as there was so much to say.

The blocks are like 4" x 6" in a waving flag style and are all hand pieced which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I used pigma pens and hand wrote on each block what had happened that day.  Someone asked me if it was X rated and I laughed and told them no, it was very family oriented.  The editor of the local newspaper where I worked at that time made the comment that it gave a whole new meaning of "reading in bed".

Friends and relatives delighted in picking out a date where we had had lunch or visited and I had put that info on that particular day.  It is a queen sized and it has been used quite a bit but has not been used for at least 6 years now.  I am afraid to wash it cause what if all that info disappeared, I would be really upset.

I made a comment to DH that I really needed to make 2 more of the quilts for different years (I have 3 children) and his comment was "Well, I have two children and I am an integral part of that quilt."  My comment to him was "Screw that idea - I am not gonna do 4 more" and that is where it stands. LOL

That is my story and I am sticking to it! :-)

MargeP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 1:19 AM

i have never blocked a quilt, but i haven't shown one either.  i might be inclined to block a quilt, if i was interested in a ribbon.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,735
Points 364,772
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 2:03 AM

I haven't block a whole quilt but I've done it with individual blocks that wouldn't co-operate or are a bit smaller than needed. Don't think I'll do it with a whole quilt.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:10 AM

Marge P:
Donna and all -  NO, I don't block my quilts -

Well, guess I should have just called Marge first, or at least posted this question before I did block this quilt.  Clearly the conscensus is to NOT block quilts - unless they are a small wallhanging  for showing.  I would now definitely agree. 

However, the quilt I blocked yesterday is now dry and is as straight and square as you could ever want.  It looks great!  But, I doubt I will ever do it again on a full sized quilt! 

Thank you all for your feedback...

p.s.  It'sall a learning experience...LOL

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:12 AM

Donna, glad it worked out for you ,Are you gonna show us a picture  so we can ohh and Ahh over it LOL  barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 495

Oh, thank goodness that the general consensus is that quilty things do not need blocking. I do not need the extra headache. I already have knit projects all over the place being blocked all the time. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 9:53 AM

I have heard of blocking. I square them up and put on binding myself. I think blocking is like for the ones who can't square up easily. Which I have never done or run across that I cant fix another way.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use