rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 10:57 AM

Debbie

When I first started quilting I planned my quilts down to the last stitch.  Now I rarely even use a pattern.  I get these "ideas" in my head and just start going with them and lots of times the "ideas" change alot along the way.....LOL>    But absolutely ...  everyone has their own process and as long as they have fun along the way that is all that matters.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Nana:
I get these "ideas" in my head and just start going with them and lots of times the "ideas" change alot along the way.....LOL> 

That is exactly the way I quilt and have from the beginning. I have a hard time conforming to patterns. I have two quilts that that started with a pattern, the first one I screwed up and the second one I changed. I do a lot of readjusting on the fly.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,690

Thank you so much Barbara. I know I have a lot to learn. And I really appreciate your wisdom. You are right! Quilters are unique people...loving, special people. Who else would spend hours cutting perfectly good material into little pieces, only to put them back together in a beautiful arrangement...and then give them away! Hahahaha Are we crazy? LOL Just kidding...

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,690

Yes! That is what it is all about. It is a joy and I am blessed to be in the company of such wonderful people.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,690

Haha, I know what you mean Spud. I am working on a table topper today and the pattern neglected to tell me that the strips that go around the center block need to be 9 1/2 and 11 1/2 inches. LOL But those are the kind of mistakes that make me learn a lesson haha. I cannot wait until I get to the point where I won't need a apttern. Haha

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 3:52 PM

Debbie :
Who else would spend hours cutting perfectly good material into little pieces, only to put them back together in a beautiful arrangement...and then give them away! Hahahaha Are we crazy? LOL Just kidding...
Debbie that's is so funny my late DH use to ask me that very question, I use to tell him ,because I can, He could never understand it .but he sure did like the quilts when He got cold ,LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,224
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:18 PM

Debbie, Its the best kind of CRAZY I can think of and I love every minute of it. You ladies provided a lot of food for thought  in( The Plan ) I like what everyone had to say and can relate to all of it at different times in my journey as a quilter.  Im not sure what I love most quilting or you QCA members?      Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:30 PM

Granny Agnes:

gini:
I try not to plan too closely, 'cause I don't like quilts that are too matchy-matchy.

My mantra is: Matchy-matchy is boring. In fact I am selling a quilt because it is downright boring so that I can make something else that has color "edges." I really have little idea what the final will be so it is impossible to plan. I work at a project and it may take me on a plan I had never envisioned. 

Boy, I will NEVER forget the one time I was "invited" by several quilting friends to attend a guild meeting of this one particular guild that considers itself an "art" guild.  They had a slide show of the National Quilt Festival that was held in Houston - the show that is all about "art quilts".  And so many of these women "oood" and "aaahhd" at some of the UGLIEST quilts I could EVER imagine!  Well, they got to the "best in show" (so, ok, that is a DOG show term, but to me, so many of these quilts WERE "dogs") - and this quilt was:  STRIPS of yellow fabric that slowly changed darker and darker until it became GOLD at the bottom.  THIS WAS THE BEST, FIRST PLACE, BLUE RIBBON WINNER??  So many of these women almost fainted, and gasped at its "beauty" and the "simplicity"!!!!  Honest to Pete, I thought I was in the crowd while the Emperor was trying on his new clothes!  So, when it was so quiet because of the "awe" ing crowd, I said (quite audibly, too) "Why, that looks just like the RUG that I have under my feet at the kitchen sink!"  Needless to say, I was not invited back, and  my "friends" don't ask me to go to the Mancuso show with them anymore, either!  :D  Just not my cup of tea, you know?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:36 PM

Bella good for you someone need to let some of these folks now these things, I have seen in mags and books some of the ugliest quilts that won prizes and I wonder if  the judges are blind or know a secret  or tip I've not aware of ,which  I'm sure is alot ,LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,501
Points 417,379
gini replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 7:55 PM

Debbie :

Yes! That is what it is all about. It is a joy and I am blessed to be in the company of such wonderful people.

One of the things I love most about this site, is how many differing opinions we get on every subject.  So if one thing doesn't work for you there are a couple of other ideas that may work.

gini in north idaho

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use