Top 10 Posters

Why am I always nervous about the quilting part?

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,235
Lori replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 10:06 PM

Thanks for the link.  Very help[ful!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,235
Lori replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 10:08 PM

Judy, it looks great.  I am going to give something new a try.  I guess the worse that could happen is that I have to take it out.  It would not be the first time.  I will post a picture once I get going.  Thanks!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 10:13 PM

Lori:
I guess the worse that could happen is that I have to take it out.

i would use it as a learning experience, but i wouldn't take it out.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 10:17 PM

Gini

I am with you.  I rarely take out quilting stitches.  The only time I have removed them is if the tension is really messed up.   That is just more trouble than it is worth.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,235
Lori replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for their advice.  I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who gets nervous when they go to quilt their top.  Finally there is a place that I can get great advice.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 362,017
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 7:48 PM

Nana:

Gini

I am with you.  I rarely take out quilting stitches.  The only time I have removed them is if the tension is really messed up.   That is just more trouble than it is worth.

You're so right Nana. I'm working on MQ 3 today and I don't like it. I tried taking out some of the stitches then decided to just continue. I've got two rows of blocks done and I still don't feel better about it. I've stopped for the night. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Marge P:
Practice, Practice, Practice is what we have to do and just relax and try and go with the flow.  Meandering is very pretty on most quilts so don't beat yourself up if you do a lot of it.

I totally agree, nothing beats practice and the more you do it the easier it gets.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 9:58 PM

The main thing is to relax! I know. easier said than done.  When I start on a new quilt I find myself tensing up and the more tense I get, the more jilted and unsteady my quilting becomes.  I make myself concentrate on breathing and relaxing my shoulders and the quilting seems to come along well enough.  I see improvement with every quilt.

I also tend to get wired about my designs not being consistent.  You might want to check out Pam Clarke's website.  She has some pretty cool templates that I use with pouncing chalk that are basically lines that give me a reference for my designs.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 9:59 PM

Check out the free motion quilt group here. There I posted the author and title of a book called Follow along the lines. Or something similar. Also you could draw your designs on tracing paper, pin, and quilt that way then tear slowly away. Or you could draw your design using a washable or removable tracing pen or someting and then quilt along that. :) Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use