Page 1 of 5 (74 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 73 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P Posted: Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:39 PM

Here are a few pictures that I took yesterday from my computer room.  Was very amazed to look out and see this walking in the back yard - commented to DH that there was a bobcat outside.  Sure got his attention!  When he was in a position to see it, he said he thought it was just a tabby cat.  We sat and watched it for about a minute or so and then I thought of the camera.  DUH! We probably watched him for 5 minutes total.

The snow is deep enough we couldn't get a full height picture of him.

The picture of him walking should have come after this one.

This one was really cool as he crouched down for the longest time, body twitching and he finally leapt under the pickup - no, I didn't get a picture of him in motion, darn.

This is the last one I got of him - he finally turned and looked right through the window where I was standing.  He then wandered out of sight and we figured he had left.  About a half hour later I went to the front door to see if he had left any tracks down the ramp.  Yes, he had walked on top of the snow across the front of the house, jumped on the porch, walked down the ramp.  DH went out later and he could see tracks heading East and he had gone under our tractor.

Last Sunday night we had gotten home and found fresh tracks on the back patio, west sidewalks and back door and were kind of curious about it being as our Pete dog is gone and we just don't get strays around here.  Figured it was probably a coyote.

Needless to say, having a Senior Citizen Kitty - Sir Rastus = 16 1/2 years old - we don't need these critters hanging around.  What with the cold and snow we don't have to worry about Rastus wanting to go out.

So what do you think?  We saw one Bobcat a couple years ago in a field below our house but this one is smaller and a young one.  He was beautiful.

MargeP

• | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:41 PM

BTW - now DH is the one who is 100% sure it is a bobcat and I am the one that is still wondering.  I sure wish Rastus could have seen it - maybe he would stay in the house forever!

Marge P

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:42 PM

sam says it's a bobcat

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:44 PM

Gosh, sure looks like a bobcat to me!  That stubby tail is the give away.  I'd love to see one of those in my yard!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:45 PM

gini:
sam says it's a bobcat

Thanks, Gini.  Tell Sam it makes me feel more worried but guess that is life. LOL  It was a beautiful animal.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:51 PM

MNnancy:
Gosh, sure looks like a bobcat to me!  I'd love to see one of those in my yard!

Are you really sure, Nancy?  The last picture of him by that terra cotta pot with the snow on it is like 3 feet from my house.  I don't know why one would get that close to humans.  He seemed to be too comfortable for his own good.  It was a real surprise to say the least.

MargeP

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:55 PM

With all that fresh snow, it is simply looking for something good to eat - a rabbit perhaps, or a mouse if pickings are slim.  Note the short tail - that's a bobcat!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:05 PM

I'm no wildlife expert, so I turned to Wikipedia.  Here's what it says about the size:

The adult bobcat is 18.7 to 49 in. long from the head to the base of the tail, averaging 32.6 in.; the stubby tail adds 3.5 to 7.9 in. and, due to its "bobbed" appearance, it gives the species its name. An adult stands about 12 to 24 in. at the shoulders. Adult males can range in weight from 14 to 40 lb., with an average of 21 lb; females at 9.0 to 34 lb., with an average of 15 lb.

It looks like you got one on the small end of the scale.  

(Hmmm, but are there ear tufts?)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:11 PM

Looks like a bobcat to me.   Great pics.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Sure looks like it could be a bobcat. I would hate to see one in my yard. But then, I deal with rattlesnakes every now and then....

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:27 PM

Spudgrandma:
Sure looks like it could be a bobcat. I would hate to see one in my yard. But then, I deal with rattlesnakes every now and then....

Yes, Spud - we live in rattlesnake country too.  Used to kill more than my share when we lived up the county road about 1/2 mile.  A ditch seems to keep them on the east side of the county road where we live now and we are on the west side.  Also the neighbor to the north of us used to put lye on the ditch culvert and that deterred them.  Bad thing is the property has been sold and new folks may not do that.  Whoever would buy this particular piece of property on a rocky hillside and try and build a house apparently were not told that there are lots of rattlesnakes on that hill.  The locals just shake their heads.

Hope you are doing well.

Marge P

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Marge P:
Hope you are doing well.

Thanks Marge, I am. I walked, in the house, today and sewed the last border on Grandson #2x quilt. I think I may have over done the walk, I'm exhausted LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,495
Points 47,945
Frances replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:23 PM

Hi Marge,

Since i live in England and i would'nt know a Bobcat if it came and bit me on the butt, but for me its great to see the pictures but as for everyone talking about Rattle snakes thank god we dont have them (makes me feel very lucky)

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:24 PM

Oh my Frances ...  no rattlesnakes.   You don't know what you're missing....NOT.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,495
Points 47,945
Frances replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:36 PM

Nana, probably just as well i dont think id go outside my front door, We do have adders which are snakes and can kill (but its not likely)  they are not in the area i live and unless you step on them they will not harm you ive seen lots on holiday and i just walk round them.

Lots of love

francesxx

Page 1 of 5 (74 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use