Buying fabric on-line

Page 1 of 6 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 84 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 1,510
LearningDayByDay Posted: Sat, Jan 21 2012 8:03 AM

Good morning everyone, I'm new here and am very excited about starting my new quilt (2nd one ever, and am doing the best I can as I am my own teacher).

My latest quilt will be made up of reproduction depression era ('30's) fabric.  I haven't had too much luck finding material locally but have found some awesome fabric on line.  Too much in fact and I am starting to get overwhelmed by all the choices. 

Are there any rules to go by when buyng on line?  How does one know if it is a reputable site?  How does one know if the quality is good?  One of my quilting books tells me to get fabric with a thread count of 65x65 per inch but not one of the sites I have been to have mentioned this.  One site says all their fabric is "blouse wieght" but I have no idea if this is a good thing or bad thing.  And I have read that the same company can make the same pattern in different weights/qualities so what I think may be something good may really be a poor imitation.  And I keept finding more and more web sites to go to making this all the more overwhelming!!!!

I really want to get started on this project.  I have a few days off in a couple of weeks and would love to have my stash of fabric to work on during my vacation but want to make sure I am buying the right "stuff."

Ellie

• | Post Points: 185
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Ellie, welcome to QCA. 

It can be very overwhelming to order fabric on line.  I have found so many sites as well and have had luck with most that I order fabric from.  Places like Connecting Threads, Keepsake quilting,  e-quilter, Main Street cotton shop, and a few others are ones that I have ordered from and had success with.

Good luck on your project

Margaret

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,775
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 8:28 AM

Ellie

I have ordered from numerous online sites and have never had a problem with the quality of my fabrics.  Have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,534
Points 31,195
Diana replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 8:55 AM

I agree with Nana.  I have ordered lots of fabric from lots of places.  Most are quilt shops and have the nice quality you would find in your local quilt shops.  I've never been disappointed on anything I've ever bought online.  I also look at the sale category in the sites you visit.  You'll never know what you'll find at a great price.  If you're starting a stash, it's a great way to build it up without breaking the bank.  Good Luck and have fun.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 8:58 AM

LearningDayByDay:
One site says all their fabric is "blouse wieght" but I have no idea if this is a good thing or bad thing.

That seems like kind of an odd thing to say about quilting cotton.  I think if you shop at an online site that is specific to quilters and you stick to the name brands, you should be safe.  I've purchased fabric online, and I am mostly always pleased.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 0
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,430

I too am just learning and buy most of my fabric on line.  I stick with the name brands and haven't had any problems. You start to  become familiar with these name brands, but for starters if you visit Oldcountrystore.com they list manufacturers under their "product line" tab on the left side of their home page.  If you stick with those, which are available at numerous online stores, you should get high quality cotton.

Also, I had done some garment sewing in the past so I thought I could learn on my own but I was really struggling.  My SIL recommended classes at a nearby quilt shop, which I attended and they helped me immensely.  I learned sooooo much about fabric, cutting and piecing.  I think I would have given up had I not taken those classes.  I highly recommend it.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your new quilt!  Have fun!

Kathy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,347
Points 30,575
Agnes replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:58 AM

Kathy2878:
Also, I had done some garment sewing in the past so I thought I could learn on my own but I was really struggling.  My SIL recommended classes at a nearby quilt shop, which I attended and they helped me immensely.  I learned sooooo much about fabric, cutting and piecing.  I think I would have given up had I not taken those classes.  I highly recommend it.

I know many that have learned by trial and error on their own. I had been a garment sewer for years when the quilting bug hit so I thought I could learn on my own. Not so. I found it too frustrating. I had to consider that I had guidance before I could fly on my own. I shelved the idea of quilting until I could take a class. It really only took one lesson group to give me the basics and then I was away. I had actually dabbled at quilting while still sewing but things weren't right. I ended up using up my original quilting fabric purchase for sewing projects that really couldn't be called quilting yet I have seen many self taught quilters do just that. In all my years of quilting the best money I spent was for that first class. It gave me a much better foundation than I would have gotten on my own. 

As to purchasing fabric on line I have dealt with several different companies. My biggest frustration is not the quality of fabrics but the computer not always generating a totally true color. Name brands are helpful but not all lines are totally equal. I have never found that a problem. To overcome the color issue if color is really important I will purchase a small quantity rather than load myself down with yardage that isn't what I wanted for a specific project..

Enjoy your quilting adventure however you proceed.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

Hi Ellie and welcome to QCA

I buy most of my fabric online as I have not been able to get out and shop. I've ordered from several different places and so far have not been disappointed.  I think that Kris has a list somewhere of different online places to shop, hopefully she will come along later and let you know where it is. Good luck with your quilting and I hope to see more of you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 10:14 AM

Hi, Ellie -

I also have had a lot of luck with The Cotton Club.  You can join this club if you want to get fat quarters and charm packs, and samples along the way.  OR you can just order what you need, as I do.  Have fun with shopping, and welcome!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Hi Ellie and Welcome.

I've used this list of shops to search for fabric.  Hope this works for you.

www.fabshophop.com/listofshops.asp 

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 1,510

Thank you so much for your responses.  I have checked out just about all of the web sites you mentioned, most of them I hadn't previously seen.  And I thought I was overwhelmed before . . . . .  lol.  There are so many fabrics that I have fallen in love with.  I keep getting ideas for more and more quilts. 

I'm glad to hear that everyone has had good results from buying on line.  I can see that sometimes the color may be off from what is shown.  I was wondering about that.  One of the web sites mentioned has a lot of light yellow fabric.  This was good for me as I haven't been able to find too much of that.

Ellie

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 1,510

It is odd, isn't it?  I'll have to give them a call later to find out exactly what that means.  I tried doing searchs to get more info but came up empty handed.

Ellie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 475

Hi Ellie and welcome.  I, too, am a newbie to quilting and QCA.  I have purchased fabric from several places online (eQuilter.com, Fabric.com, ConnectingThreads.com, etc.) and have never been disappointed.  Most on-line sites carry top quality quilting fabrics and offer a great variety.

Have fun on your vacation and enjoy your quilting.

Good luck and I hope to see pics of your quilts.

Mary 

Interlachen, Florida

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 1,510

I agree about taking classes.  There is a beginning class at a quilt shop near me but I was too late to sign up for it.  Time was perfect, 6 weeks Sunday afternoons.  Their next round of beginning classes take place during the week which I won't be able to do because of my work schedule.  JoAnn's has a 2 or 3 hour/one afternoon class which I will take.  I won't learn as much as the other but it will be better than nothing.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 11:48 AM

Ellie, if you get the paid membership here at QCA, you'll have access to all the QNN videos, and there are some great beginning quilting lessons there.

Also, Craftsy sells online video classes that are quite reasonably priced.  If you have a decent Internet connection, you can determine the time of day/day of week that you watch each lesson, and you don't have to leave home!  [http://www.craftsy.com/classes/cat/quilting]  Oh, I see that "Quilting Quickly," a good beginner class is back up to full price.  They seem to have sales fairly often, so you could sign up for the emails to be notified.  In the meantime, the QCA membership with access to QNN seems to be a better deal.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 6 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use