Page 1 of 8 (106 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 105 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 Posted: Fri, Jan 20 2012 11:43 PM

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

There were two young women that worked together at a State Unemployment Insurance Office in  1980.  They quickly became best friends. One was very petite, and one was tall, they made a strange combination because of the height difference and because of their accents.  One of the friends was from Oklahoma, her accent was very pronounced.  Her friend loved it and secretly wished she had it but since she grew up in Arizona obviously this was not possible.

It was “high unemployment” in Arizona and wait times were often two hours for claimants to file a claim for unemployment insurance.  It wasn’t a great job but it paid the bills the two women often told each other.

The women sat side by side on high bar stools with metal rings at the bottom at a counter with tiny windows as they filled out paperwork for the public.  It often times took twenty or more minutes to fill out the necessary paperwork for someone. 

One day the “Arizona” woman came into work especially dressed up for work.  Her Oklahoma friend teased her and said, “What’s wrong with you, a full skirt and high heels, are you going to the prom, or something?  No, she replied, of course not, I just wanted to look nice for a change, and I do not have on high heels, these are sandals, high heel sandals and this is a full skirt.  I think it looks really nice.  Her friend said, I think you really overdid it for this place; we are at the UNEMPLOYMENT office, do you understand and besides with the sandals on you are now about 6 ft tall! They both laughed then because she was looking down at her best friend from Oklahoma.

The day proceeded and both women worked side by side calling numbers and helping people file claims for Unemployment Insurance.  The Arizona women called a number and a very nice looking man came to her window.  She and her friend secretly exchanged glances, he was cute.  The Arizona woman proceeded to file the young man’s paperwork, and needed to check the computer for some information for him.  She tried to get up from her stool, but caught her high heel sandal in the ring of the stool and fell backward onto the floor; with her full skirt in an unladylike position and so were her legs.  The man was leaning over the counter, saying Ma’am ma’am are you all right.  Her best friend was laughing so hard, she couldn’t talk. The Arizona woman jumped up from the floor, and said, “Sir, I am fine I must continue to take your claim.”

The Oklahoma woman ran through the office telling everyone, “Did you see Marlene fall off the stool in front of that claimant and show her “everything.”  “That will teach Miss Fancy Pants to wear a dress and high heels to work!”

And to all of you, I have never been so embarrassed in my life- this guy was a hunk and there I am trying to act so "pretty" and ladylike and I caught my heel and sprawled out right in front of him. I die laughing thinking what an idiot I must of looked like. And Martha let me know it too.  We still laugh about this today.

This Story is dedicated to my Best Friend Martha who moved back to Oklahoma.  Go Sooners!

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 11:52 PM

I have a story about this amazing Arizona woman.   She has decided that she wants to do a stack n whack quilt.  While talking on the phone I suggested that she find a large print with the colors that she likes and to get about  6 yds if she wanted to do a bigger quilt.

Yesterday being all excited about having a 40% off coupon she had to go to the LQS.   She kept telling herself large print with color.   Well she decided on this piece of fabric and bought 7 yds.   She brings it home all excited and scans a pic to send to me.    My first thought when seeing this fabric was "what in the world was that designer thinking"   They had to have been on acid.   We laughed over her fabric until we were in tears.   The only consolation that I could offer was that it should make a great stack n whack because no one in their right mind would use it they way it is now......ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 12:10 AM

Nana:
They had to have been on acid.   We laughed over her fabric until we were in tears.   The only consolation that I could offer was that it should make a great stack n whack because no one in their right mind would use it they way it is now......ROFLOL

Nana

If I don't make a Stack N Whack I am going to die because what in the world am I going to do w/ 7 yards of this fabric????  OMG I keep looking at it and think what in the world were you thinking? LOL  Did you like the color or what?  Was it the last bolt of fabric in the LQS and you had no more fabric left at home??  Oh, I know it was 99 cents a yard! That's it.  IT was why I bought it! That must be the reason.  I wish I could say that! LOL 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 1:14 AM

Hi Marlene, I wouldnt worry too much at work we have new doors where you have to press the green button on the wall to get the door to open i forget this at least three times each day so i hit my face on the door at least three times each day one of the times in front of my boss, he already thinks im mad since during Christmas i answered the phone Santas Grotto how can i help and he was at the other end ( i think he thinks im hitting the bottle).

As for the fabric well i have things in my stash that i brought and i think where on earth will i ever use that.

Lots of love

Francesxx

England

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 2:17 AM

Mars, great story.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 2:18 AM

Nana, too funny

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 3:17 AM

Great story, Marlene!  And as far as the floral print, Stack 'n Whacks make some beautiful quilts out of ugly fabric so don't give up on it.  You may have a real winner there!

Marge P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,410
Points 37,995
Linda replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 7:41 AM

mars92:

If I don't make a Stack N Whack I am going to die because what in the world am I going to do w/ 7 yards of this fabric????  OMG I keep looking at it and think what in the world were you thinking? LOL  Did you like the color or what?  Was it the last bolt of fabric in the LQS and you had no more fabric left at home??  Oh, I know it was 99 cents a yard! That's it.  IT was why I bought it! That must be the reason.  I wish I could say that! LOL 

Marlene,

You are a hoot !!!! Just like walking into any LQS, you can't pass up a bargain. What did you do? Go back to 35th? Without me? Shame, Shame! Or worse yet...another LQS while I'm here in the Valley? Marlene, what to do? What to do? Did you save anything for the Expo coming up????

Hugs,

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,606
Points 52,025
Ginny replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 8:24 AM

Another great story from Marlene...Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:12 AM

Another great retelling for your "Collection of Life Stories" binder!  Gotta love a woman who can poke fun at herself!  When is the last time you saw Martha?  I half expected that the story to end with your saying the cute guy was your future husband.

I think you need to give us all a peek at your fabric.  The look totally changes once you've whacked it all apart, so possibly it would still work.  

I sure had fun putting my s-n-w together at the Iowa retreat!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:33 AM

Nancy

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Martha since she left AZ more than 20 years ago. We still talk though. It broke my heart when she left. We had lots of great times together.

You better be sitting down when you see this fabric- and what was I thinkin'

Linda it was the 40% off coupon and it expired THAT day, I had to use it! LOL at my 35 ave by my house. You know me and my bargains. Have you tried to sneak in 7 yards of one fabric? And this is isn't a "mild" fabric. LOL OMG what did I do this time???

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:39 AM

MNnancy:
putting my s-n-w together at the Iowa retreat!

MNnancy:
so possibly it would still work.

Nancy

The key work is "possibly"  isn't it??? LOL  7 yards of possibly fabric.  No one but me has possibly fabric.  We should have a "possibly" contest. But you had great fabric to work with at the Iowa retreat! And your S & W was gorgeous.  OMG I messed up bad!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,606
Points 52,025
Ginny replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:41 AM

Mars, I think you had better think up something you can name "Wild Christmas'  with that fabric.  It will certainly be interesting to see what you come up with....Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:41 AM

Marge P:
Great story, Marlene!  And as far as the floral print,

Thanks Marge. If it turns from  ugly into a beauty, I will be thrilled!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 11:54 AM

Marlene, I think this fabric might make a really interesting SnW!  It might lose it's Christmas look, but it could make some fun designs, and there are a lot of great colors to work with there.  Do you have a pattern picked out yet?  I can bring my SnW book along to VB and we can try some variations.  I'm serious, GF!

(yeah, I know, I'm still saying might and could, LOL, but we won't know until we try)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 8 (106 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use