hand pieced top HELP

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 130
sharikovarik@hotmail.com posted on Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:26 PM

I've just finished a hand pieced top and need to quilt it.  This is a first for me.  How small does the quilting need to be?  Are my stitches as secure as a sewing machine?  I used the technique that Jinny Beyer showed on a show with backstitches every 4 to 6 stitches.  Thanks for any information you might have.  shari

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,757 Posts
Points 420,179
gini replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:29 PM

with the backstitchin, your stitches should be very secure.   the quilting needs to be as small as you are comfortable with.  the size of the stitches isn't as important as their uniformity.   with the batts bonded now, we don't need to quilt as close either

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:51 PM

Hi Shari.  Welcome to the group.  I have nothing to add to Gini's comment.  She's one of the go-to people around here for answers.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,565 Posts
Points 48,825
Frances replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:13 PM

Hi Shari, I am just coming to the end of Hand Quilting my first quilt my pearl of wisdom is in my case as i have become more experienced at Hand Quilting my stitches have become smaller and more uniform in size, its not perfect nowhere near however im working on the theory that only God is perfect and i am not and for me the joy is that i have managed to produce this quilt when my sewing teacher at school told me i would never sew anything.

Im sure your quilt will be stunning anything made with love always is.

Frances

England

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,595 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 10:02 AM

Welcome Shari

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,446 Posts
Points 127,674

I don't do any hand sewing anymore, but I'm in awe of those of you who hand sew from start to finish.

I also wanted to say Hi and welcome to QCA.   It looks like you have been a member for awhile and I hope that you will join us here, in the forums, more often.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
14,180 Posts
Points 253,252
Thea replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 2:37 PM

Shari - I totally agree with gini that the stitches need to be uniform in length... I was taught 12 stitches to the inch - it was very hard for me to do.  I did a lot of taking out but in the end that is what I ended up with - I use the rocking motion when I hand quilt and a small lap quilt - I never could do the frame thing - although that is how my MIL told me to do it and my DH made me a frame like his Grandmothers for this... but I just couldn't seem to do it and found lap quilting much easier for me.  I like the granny's spoon for the underhand too - I haven't done any hand quilting in quite a few years but it was very satisfying when I did - very relaxing... 

I do recommend doing a back stitch after each time you unload your stitches off your needle and they are very secure - I sometimes think more secure then machine stitching as it is difficult for me to undo my hand stitching and easier to undo machine stitches... good luck.

You might check out Linda Franz - she, IMHO, is an awesome hand piecer and hand quilter and has DVD's out there that you can study.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.