Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma Posted: Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:57 PM

Do you sew your binding on the machine or by hand?

I have always sewn my binding on by machine and then turning it from the front to the back and hand stitching it. I cannot hand stitch any longer so.......... Those of you who do your binding completely by machine, do you have some tips, tricks, suggestions?   I tried the machine on a couple of the first crib quilts I made but did not like the way they turned out, so started hand stitching.  Since I now have no choice but to sew by machine, I'm going to have to figure it out and could use any help you could offer. Thanks All!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:04 PM

Pin it to death and watch the corners.  I tried to use my walking foot and it didn't work.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:05 PM

Spud

I do sew most of my bindings by machine.   I stitch to the back of the quilt and fold to the front.  Then I use a straight stitch and catch just the edge of the binding on the front.   Sometimes I even manage to have the stitching on the back be in the ditch but not always.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Vivian :

Pin it to death and watch the corners.  I tried to use my walking foot and it didn't work.

Thanks Vivian, unfortunately I cannot pin very well either.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thanks Nana. I'm glad you mentioned about stitching it down from the front so the boo boos don't show on the front :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:27 PM

Spud

That is right.  The front looks fine.   Sometimes I even get energetic and use a little elmer's glue to hold the binding in place before I sew it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Nana:

Spud

That is right.  The front looks fine.   Sometimes I even get energetic and use a little elmer's glue to hold the binding in place before I sew it.

I may have to do that since I cannot pin. I have Maggies's quilt almost quilted so it won't be too long before I have to bind it. I feel really bad that her quilt is becoming the practice quilt for all of this, I hope she will love it anyway.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:39 PM

Spud

I know that Maggie is going to love and cherish this quilt.  Don't you feel guilty that this is the one that you have to change your techniques on.   Just be really proud that you have gotten back to quilting.

Vinton, Virginia

replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:54 PM

I Stich mine totally by machine, I use Sharon S. technique modified to me. I sew it down on front  using a bright color that shows on the back, then take to ironing board, . On back side of quilt I iron the binding up pulling slightly to get away from edge.  I then place a small line of washable elmers glue to the area just above the stitch line. Then I fold binding down to cover the stitch line and press to hold. this keeps binding in place. and keeps your corners mitered beautifully. I then take to machine and use matching thread in bobin and top and sew in the ditch. this catches the back binding perfectly. if not you can then sew on back at stitch line and it will still be in the ditch more or less on the front. I dont do anything by hand i dont have the patience and i feel it will hold up to washings and wear better... Also carpal tunnel starting. My bindings have always turned out perfect using this technique doesnt take any longer.... i do starch my binding first so the double fold holds better and easier to handle.  hope that helps some.  great technique for less frustration'

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thanks Candis, I heard about the glue method, but my memory is not so good anymore. I will have to give it a try since I cannot pin I would think this would work. Again, thank you.

replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 4:18 PM

U tube has a video under Sharon schamber. Binding the angel.  I don't glue the binding to the front. Just to the back.  Easy on the hands. Your welcome!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 4:40 PM

I sew the binding to the front of my quilt then turn it to the back using invisible nylon  thread and a zig-zag stitch down the binding. I do not pin the binding down just sew it slowly and ease it with my hand (I use the previous stitch line as a guide. just move the binding up to  the stitches covering it a bit. The zig-zag should be on the edge of the binding on the front and the back.)

I hope it helps.

Zsofia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Zsofia, thank you for taking the time to answer. I've never used nylon thread

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 3,805
Paula replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 4:59 PM

I did it like Candis until I've done so many now I don't even have to pin or glue anymore. The glue method works wonderful and washes right away, try it you'll like it!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Paula:

I did it like Candis until I've done so many now I don't even have to pin or glue anymore. The glue method works wonderful and washes right away, try it you'll like it!!!!

Thanks Paula, I think that is what I'm going to try. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use