Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up To Today? #5

Page 645 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 643 644 645 646 647 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9,870 Replies | 67 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,249
Points 254,377
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 2:17 PM | Locked

CC - glad you are home safe and sound - now get some rest - that is one thing that does me in - the riding or driving distances in the car - I am sure it is the vibration that does it to me - even with the best shocks one can buy I still feel them...

Been a busy day here in OK - TS's all over the area - and supposed to go on all day - they won't talk about it till it is out of our area though and down in OKC...aggravates one when they are wondering how bad it will get - but we shall survive...

I got all the laundry almost done - have the floors washed the bathrooms done - the vacuuming still needs doing but instead of doing it - I SEWED...lol - got all the rows sewn for the Rainbow quilt - 16 in all - now when the washer stops I will press them and then they will be ready for me to sew together - not sure if it will get done today - but I got way farther then I thought I would... 

And so much done - heading to the bedroom for the nap now...lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 2:46 PM | Locked

Had  a nice mini vacation down to Columbus GA.  We left home around 3:30 on Thurs.  Our hotel was in Phenix City AL - just across the river from Columbus and 15 minutes away from Ft. Benning.  We ate supper at a Mexican restaurant. ---- NOT a good idea.  Their chips for the salsa were "heavy".  I had the same chips in my nachos.  Those of you who remember my cheese dip disaster at the VB retreat will commiserate with me.  The cheese sauce on the nachos was almost as bad as that infamous cheese dip.  Supper sat like a ROCK in my tummy.  Todd, Lynn and Michael arrived at the hotel around 9:30.  David Sr. called and told us that a volunteer at the Infantry Museum had told them they should plan to arrive at the parade grounds between 7:30 / 7:45 to get a good seat since there were 600 graduates.  (Ceremony stated at 9)  We got there about 7:15 - just as all the fellows were marching by to the staging area.  I looked for David Jr. but didn't spot him.  He told me later that he saw me standing there. 

It was a really nice ceremony.  The band came out early and were playing some rousing music to get us all charged up.  The whole thing lasted a bit over an hour.  It was good to give that boy a hug.  I haven't seen him since April 23rd.  His Grandma Swafford gave him a Soldiers Bible.  When she was sitting in the stands writing on the fly page, I asked her if it was bullet proof.  :o) 

After some picture taking, Dave and I were going to go to the Infantry Museum.  Changed our mind when we saw how packed it was.  We figure we will take a couple of days later on and go down and see that plus the Civil War Naval Museum and River Walk in Columbus.

We will have him around until Aug. 27th when he ships out to Germany for two years.  :o(  I probably won't get to see much of him even though he is right next door.  He is anxious to spend time with his buddies before he ships out.  I can't say as I blame him. 

Doggies and Kitties were glad to see us back home.  I took the dogs for a nice long walk both last night and again this morning before the day heated up.  Then I hauled a bunch of stuff from the garage out to our new shed.  I went through one big box of fabric that someone gave me and found a bunch of cotton interlock that I can pass on to a friend from guild who sews for a group called "Newborns in Need".  Todd had already moved my big containers of Christmas decorations to the shed for me while he was staying here doing his jury duty. 

Poison ivy is much better.  The dogs and I walked the same route today that we walked the night I first started with the itch but I didn't see any poison ivy.  Lynn was wondering if I got into some ants but I would have felt those biting me.  I had to go back out with my camera and snap some shots of interesting fungi.  With our recent rains, we have had them popping up all over out in the woods.  I wonder if any of them are edible.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,876
Points 56,195
Ginny replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 3:21 PM | Locked

Marge, you don't even have to touch poison ivy to get it.   It could be that one of your furry friends walked thru some somewhere.  You can also get it from the smoke if anyone is burning it. Even if your hose was drug thru some and you rubbed up against the areaa of the hose that had the oils on it.  It can be a sneaky coward.  Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 3:25 PM | Locked

I was never allergic to it until I moved here to Griffin.  I was always the poison ivy remover before that.  David and I were pulling it out of trees right before he and Celeste got married.  I developed a "wonderful" case of it --- all over my neck and behind my ears where I was whipping the sweat off, my hands and arms.  I have my hands behind my back in all of their wedding pictures.  :o(

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 4:36 PM | Locked

When I was a teen and we were on our way to Panama City Beach, Fl. for vacation, my Mom would drive from College Park to Columbus, a drive of about 4 hours, and we would get a motel room and stop for the day. Then, when we 'crossed the line" into Phoenix City, she would tell us not to look out the windows that this City was a den of inequity and we should beware. I, of course, would glue my eyes to the glass to see what exactly was going on in this "gambling and hooker" den of the US. Never saw anything. Marge did you see anything while you were there?

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 4:56 PM | Locked

Nope - no dens of inequity, but then I wasn't really looking for any.  We had enough trouble finding our hotel. :o}  The Google maps said it was almost two miles off the exit.  Turns out it was right next to the exit ramp and we drove right by it. Maybe the town has cleaned up it act since you were a teen.  We didn't really go through the town so who knows what was lurking there.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 6:53 PM | Locked

CC

I just have to ask....I have never heard the term LUG before as a measurement.  Can you please explain exactly how much that is.  I have always heard bushel and peck when measure vegetables and fruit.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 8:09 PM | Locked

In our stores, whether they're from Colorado or the SE states, peaches are sold by the "lug."  It seems like their sizes vary - less than a bushel - about 18-20 lbs I think.  Peaches in "lugs" are packed in layers with egg-carton-like forms that hold the individual peaches apart from each other.  Is that others' experience?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 8:27 PM | Locked

Nana:

CC

I just have to ask....I have never heard the term LUG before as a measurement.  Can you please explain exactly how much that is.  I have always heard bushel and peck when measure vegetables and fruit.

A 20-25lb box.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 8:35 PM | Locked

DD and I put up 21 pts of peaches in syrup today. I gave away a box, just distributing sacks of  them around town. (Made the whole town happy I think. The drink special at the bar tonight is Peach Daiguries!) Hubby took a  bunch down to the county offices when he went to work, and I gave a bunch to my co-workers. So Now I'm down to about 1/3 of them left to process tomorrow. I'll do chutney and maybe salsa. What's left when that's done will be frozen for pies. Maybe I'll make a batch of peach ice cream... and of course we HAVE to have a cobbler. By the time it's all said and done.I'm gonna be mighty tired of stone fruits. LOL 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 9:17 PM | Locked

Nancy

We get peaches and pears etc packed in layers with the protective packing but they are called cases or bushels.  I hadn't heard the term lug used in measurement.  The only way I have heard "lug" is when you have to carry something really heavy.  Then "we lug it somewhere".

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 9:22 PM | Locked

I'm guessing a case is equivalent to a lug.  A bushel is huge - like 45 pounds, isn't it?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,403
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 9:25 PM | Locked

lugs are better than bushels for soft fruit.  In a bushel the bottom peaches would be mush.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 10:23 PM | Locked

A lug is usually only about 2 layers deep.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,333
Points 255,429
Barbara replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:45 AM | Locked

I love this site ,you learn all kinds of neat stuff. I had never heard of a lug either ,but I will know now. CC, your peach salsa sound wonderful .I can just imagine it on some fresh from the oven scones.   Oh I"m making myself hungry...LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 645 of 659 (9871 items) « First ... < Previous 643 644 645 646 647 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.