Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #5

Page 456 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 454 455 456 457 458 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:42 AM | Locked

Angele:

Great bag Agnes.  I love the way you used the yiolet fabric. Great idea!

Angele--Thanks.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 11:13 AM | Locked

Agnes - How pretty your bag(s) are! Let me PM you with my address so you'll know where to send it! LOL!! I'm still searching for a good tote bag pattern that I like.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 11:20 AM | Locked

I worked on quilted trivets/hotpads all weekend. Foundation pieced - NOT PP. I've got about 8 of them done except for sewing down the binding.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,939
Points 125,320
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 11:26 AM | Locked

Sheila:

I worked on quilted trivets/hotpads all weekend. Foundation pieced - NOT PP. I've got about 8 of them done except for sewing down the binding.

Sheila, how fun! I did this once with some scraps and sewed them directly to the layers of batting and backing. I don't know why I haven't made more. I love yours.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,583
Points 24,040
Susie replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 4:40 PM | Locked

Debbi--I had a blast!  We always have such a great time!  I'm not quite finished with the tops, but I'm getting there.  One more little border on the one, and then a couple on the other & both tops will be finished.  WOOHOO!!  I'm so productive when we get together :)

Your cd was awesome!  it's fun to have someone around who doesn't care if you sing to whatever music is playing, or care if you can't hit the notes, lol!  I'll send you the pix tonight when I get home and you can post them.

I'm thinking that my next quilt outing will be on the 21st...if you want to go on the hop, let me know and I'll swing by and pick you up.  Have to get an early start, though...shops close at 4.

If I get my tops done, I'll get pictures of them and post them tonight. 

Now...what to do at the Amish retreat....decisions, decisions!  I do have a request from my sis--she would like a blue/purple/yellow quilt.  Any suggestions?  I just can't picture blue and purple together in the same quilt.  Either of them with yellow, yes, but not with blue tossed in.  Oh yeah, have to avoid green.  Simple, right?

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 5:43 PM | Locked
Hi Sheila! The hotpads look great! Can I tell you how many scraps I have? This project would be perfect for all those small to really small scraps! What are the chances of you sharing the pattern with me? Even tho' it looks easy, I think I need the directions. Is this what's called "piecing"? Don't mind my dumb questions please. I'm still a beginner. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate it, thanx!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 5:54 PM | Locked
I'm sooo glad you had fun too! I'm honored that you liked my CD! It was fun having the 2 of us singing along as we worked on stuff! It was so relaxing! Yes, I'd love to come with you on the 21rst! Where'r we going? Do you want to come to my house after and get a little work done, too? Or do you have to get home? As far as Blue/purple combo, I see what you mean. It would be too dark and unbalanced. Unless you used pastels. Like powder blue and lavender. That might look good with yellow. That's all I can think of, use the colors in really light pastels. They shouldn't be too difficult to find. I'll keep my eyes open for you. She doesn't want green? Hhmmmm. I CAN tell you 'Good Luck"! Give me a shout a couple days before your exursion, okay? We'll talk later. Let me know what you wind up doing about those colors, okay?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:40 AM | Locked

chicagosinger:
Hi Sheila! The hotpads look great! Can I tell you how many scraps I have? This project would be perfect for all those small to really small scraps! What are the chances of you sharing the pattern with me? Even tho' it looks easy, I think I need the directions. Is this what's called "piecing"? Don't mind my dumb questions please. I'm still a beginner. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate it, thanx!

Hi Chicago! Sure, I'll share since it was a freebie design I found on line! I'll dig the pdf file out when I get home and shoot it to you! They were sew very simple. Just to give you an idea, I began with an 8" square of muslin (I actually had an old sheet that had some holes in it-LOL). Then you lay a small scraft right side up in the center of the muslin, lay another small scrap right side down lined up with an edge of the first piece and sew it down on the muslin. Open the 2 pieces up & press. Take the next scrap and lay it right side down along another edge and stitch it down. Press. Repeat going around the entire block until you have the muslin covered and there are no raw edges within the interior of the square. Once it's pressed well, I flip it over and square it up to 7.5" (but you can make these any size you want...in fact, the actual pattern makes them circular!). If you have Insulbrite batting, it's best to use that but, I didn't have any so, I used 2 thicknesses of Warm & Natural. Even that is made up of scraps as I had to zig-zag small pieces of it together to make usable pieces of batting!. I just did a stitch in the ditch when I sandwiched them. My binding is 2 inches wide and it was the perfect size. I got 2 finished last night while watching Eureka and Lost Girl on the SyFy channel and they worked beautifully. Very important to press the pieces as you go so that you don't get any puckers or "bubbles" since you're stitching one piece of fabric to another.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:12 AM | Locked

Sheila

You can also do these as Quilt as you go by sandwiching the muslin, batting, and backing.  Stitch all the way around the edge at about 1/4 in.   Then start sewing your scraps just like before.  The seams actually do the quilting for you.  Then trim and bind.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:21 AM | Locked

Nana:

Sheila

You can also do these as Quilt as you go by sandwiching the muslin, batting, and backing.  Stitch all the way around the edge at about 1/4 in.   Then start sewing your scraps just like before.  The seams actually do the quilting for you.  Then trim and bind.

Nana - I thought about that but, I wanted to be sure that if I had to rip anything out that I didn't leave a mess on the back. Now that I've got some experience behind me, I will probably do that. Of course, I wasn't using that old sheet for anything else, so other than a little bit of time, nothing lost! Thanks!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:22 AM | Locked

Sheila

They are really cute.  I really should make up some of these myself.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:05 AM | Locked

Sheila, your lovely pot holders had inspired me...yep gotta make me some soon!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:49 AM | Locked

Joni:

Sheila, your lovely pot holders had inspired me...yep gotta make me some soon!!!

OMG! What have I started?? LOL - Glad I could provide some inspiration. I started them just because I wanted to do some small, quick items for Christmas gifts - Have I created a monster???

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:43 AM | Locked

Sheila, I've been making squares like your potholders too, but mine are only 3", I'm trying to use all the tiny scraps that I save. My DH likes these blocks and said he'd like a quilt made from them for our bed. A king size quilt from 3" blocks? I told him I'd be glad to make one for our bed, just one condition. He asked "What?" I said you'll have to learn to sleep in a crib!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:56 AM | Locked

Jacy:

Sheila, I've been making squares like your potholders too, but mine are only 3", I'm trying to use all the tiny scraps that I save. My DH likes these blocks and said he'd like a quilt made from them for our bed. A king size quilt from 3" blocks? I told him I'd be glad to make one for our bed, just one condition. He asked "What?" I said you'll have to learn to sleep in a crib!

ROFLMAO!

Jacy - that's a priceless mental photograph!

Aren't they fun to make?? I've been able to use all sorts of sizes of scraps in the blocks and it's making way for new scraps as I begin work on a large kaleidoscope (This one may end up with a LAQ). So, I'm going to have some wonderful new scraps to work with before Christmas.

Page 456 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 454 455 456 457 458 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use