Page 3 of 517 (7754 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:26 PM | Locked

Yes, I finally got my DH's QOV loaded on the frame and have actually quilted a few rows.  I think that my problem with the last quilt and the thread breaking so often was the thread.  It hasn't broken on me once today and I didn't change anything but the thread.

Yippee...maybe I will get it done this week.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:38 PM | Locked

I always use neutral thread for my piecing

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:42 PM | Locked

Well I finally got a little more quilted on Maggie's quilt. I hope I can do a bit more before it gets too dark. If I did not have to take a break and sit down so often I could be done by now LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:54 PM | Locked

Spud, you just keep on taking those breaks, we don't want you getting down on us again

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:57 PM | Locked

Thanks Leslie, I don't want to get down either. I'm able to do a little more each time.

What have you been up to?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:07 PM | Locked

Spud

There is nothing wrong with taking breaks.  That quilt will still be there when you are ready to go back to it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:20 PM | Locked

Spud, not much just working

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,355
Points 242,152
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:22 PM | Locked

Nana:

blacksheep

Most Amish quilts that I have seen either had white/cream thread with the light tops and black/grey with the dark tops.  Don't know if this is the norm though.

the Amish use thread that will not show so they usually use neutrals that you can see the stitching but not the thread... if that makes sense - they hand quilt all there pieces so the stitches for most of them are very tiny and the thread does not show up just the design - but it is all neutral that I have seen...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:24 PM | Locked

Nana:

Spud

There is nothing wrong with taking breaks.  That quilt will still be there when you are ready to go back to it.

Thanks Nana. I do know but I was hoping I could do more than I have. But, it will get done!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:25 PM | Locked

Leslie :

Spud, not much just working

Well that is no fun, but it does pay the bills!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,355
Points 242,152
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:26 PM | Locked

KATHY :

I have a question for everyone.  It seems like I read somewhere in one of the threads that most quilters use white or gray thread.  Does anyone use thread that matches the fabric that they are piecing  the block out of??   Or does everyone just leave it to white or gray primarily.......

Kathy - I use neutrals for all my piecing and depending on what I am looking for in my quilting I can either match the fabric and change colors often on the top or I can use a different thread all together so that all my quilting shows up - I have some quilts that my LA did that she did not match the backing with the bobbin thread and I like the look as long as you are doing a pretty picture in your quilting - if you are just doing echo quilting or stitch in the ditch I don't like it that much - but she did a lot of McTavish style quilting on my quilts and it made me really cry - she accented my quilts so much that they were awesome looking - 

For me quilting now I use what ever suits my fancy at the time but I do try and match my backing with the bobbin thread - I am not that good that I want my quilting on the back to be seen yet - but soon - I am getting better with all this practice I am doing...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:28 PM | Locked

Yep it pays the bill and buys the food that keeps me overweight lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,355
Points 242,152
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:28 PM | Locked

I did work on a quilt today - I have PC finished with the border quilting - i was almost done and my Janome decided it didn't like me - so took it into the shop - then set my Pfaff up and finished those last 4 designs that I had to satin stitch quilt around... I still have some inner quilting that I want to do but will wait till the Janome is back to do that as I have more room in the bed for my hands - 3.5 more inches - I did put the binding on as it is far enough quilted that I could quit now - so will hand sew the binding down while I mind the store tomorrow...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,355
Points 242,152
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:45 PM | Locked

Oh, I found my backing fabric for my purple/blue DWR - fabricdepot is having sale and their wide backings are 30% off - so for $43 I got some Stonehenge backing fabric - whoo hooo - knew I would find it - just hated that i actually succumbed to a SALE email - but I really like the fabric depot...teehee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:55 PM | Locked

Kathy, I mostly use beige, white, or gray to sew my quilts too, but some of the girls I quilt with feel they absolutely have to match their thread to their fabric.  Quite a problem when you have some very dark and some whites in the same one... I think it goes with what I feel like at the moment.  I have lots of neutrals that I use in my quilts.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 3 of 517 (7754 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use