Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #5

Page 231 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 229 230 231 232 233 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:58 AM | Locked

Rachel -- if you're looking for a little fluff, try the Quilter's Dream Poly -- it comes in three thicknesses.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415
Rachel Young replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:01 PM | Locked

Good to know! Thanks, guys!

I asked about the Amazon link because it said, "Quilter's Dream Cotton Batting Mid-Loft Select Weight 122" By the Yard" and wasn't sure if I only needed to purchase one of these or what.

Rachel in East Tennessee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:03 PM | Locked

Rachel Young:

I looked it up on Amazon (they don't sell it near me). I would only need to buy one of these, then? (assuming the quilt is 94.5" x 110.5":

http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Dream-Cotton-Batting-Mid-Loft/dp/B004XTXL6O/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1331314045&sr=1-2

I think the reason I was getting caught up in the fluffiness of it is because the ones my great grandmother made seemed so heavy and warm.

Rachel - I've never tried Quilters Dream just because I can't seem to find it locally. Since I like to support my local businesses, I use what I can find locally when I can. Our LQS here is very small and has maybe 200 bolts of quilting fabric. We do have a Jo-Ann's but, I've become partial to the Warm & Natural brand of batting that the LQS sells. I don't know if I'd get hung up on a particular brand as much as using the type that best suits your project. I agree that if you want to use the QD brand, go to their website and learn all you can about each type and what it's best used in. Learning is all good!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:08 PM | Locked

Rachel

I have used all of the Quilter's Dream products except the poly and absolutely love it.   I started with warm and natural and was so surprised in the difference when I bought my first package of Quilter's Dream.  The cotton comes in 2 weights ..  Select and Request.  The batting feels like a piece of fleece.  It is extremely soft and so easy to quilt.   I really think you will be pleased with any of their products.   They have one called Dream Green that is made from recycled bottles and is a very good price.  It is a little fluffier than the cotton batting but has the same soft feel.    Also it is made here in the USA....actually in Virginia.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,810
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:19 PM | Locked

Rachel Young:

I asked about the Amazon link because it said, "Quilter's Dream Cotton Batting Mid-Loft Select Weight 122" By the Yard" and wasn't sure if I only needed to purchase one of these or what.

Rachel, if I'm reading it correctly, it looks to me like it's by the yard. So if you ordered one, you'd get a piece 122 x 36. If you ordered two you'd get 122 x 72. So how "many" you order would depend on what size you need. If your quilt is 92 x 92 you'd need to order three.

I tried to find a link to contact the seller in order to clarify this but couldn't find one.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415
Rachel Young replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:41 PM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:

Rachel, if I'm reading it correctly, it looks to me like it's by the yard. So if you ordered one, you'd get a piece 122 x 36. If you ordered two you'd get 122 x 72. So how "many" you order would depend on what size you need. If your quilt is 92 x 92 you'd need to order three.

I tried to find a link to contact the seller in order to clarify this but couldn't find one.

Thanks so much, Judy! That was my question - I didn't know what 'by the yard' meant and if that was standard. I'm ordering 3 to finish the quilt.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and help! Can't wait to show y'all the finished product!

Rachel in East Tennessee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:48 PM | Locked

Rachel Young:

Judy T-Bellingham:

Thanks so much, Judy! That was my question - I didn't know what 'by the yard' meant and if that was standard. I'm ordering 3 to finish the quilt.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and help! Can't wait to show y'all the finished product!

And we can't wait to see it!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:22 PM | Locked

Hi all! I'm getting ready to sew my strips together (after all that cutting!), but the pattern doesn't tell me what my seam allowance should be. It does tell me that my strips should measure out at 10 1/2".  Is there a way to figure out what my seam allowance should be or is there a universal, when in doubt, seam allowance? Sorry to ask such a dumb question but this is my first project ever. HELP!

chicagosinger

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415
Rachel Young replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:27 PM | Locked

I'm no expert (as made obvious by my string of questions today. Lol.), but I think typical seam allowances are 1/4".

Rachel in East Tennessee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:31 PM | Locked

Rachel Young:
I looked it up on Amazon (they don't sell it near me). I would only need to buy one of these, then? (assuming the quilt is 94.5" x 110.5":

Rachel - I am sure someone else has responded to this but the price on Amazon is per yard - so it would be 3 X $14.99 or $45.00 for what you need, if my calculations are right.

Here is another link to www.batt-mart.com  and they carry a full line of Quilter's Dream batting.

Good luck in your search and on completing your quilt.  Be sure and post pictures!

MargeP

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 624
Points 9,310
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:33 PM | Locked

I agree, 1/4" is standard,  But as long as ALL your seams are the same, you should be ok.

Margaret

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:45 PM | Locked

Beth Weigt:
Here is a project from a Half Yard Challenge Lock-In class I did last year (just finished this week)

Great job, Beth on both of the toppers.  I love the green in the one, makes it pop.

MargeP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 3:03 PM | Locked

Chicago

All quilt patterns pretty much take for granted a scant 1/4 in seam allowance.  A scant 1/4 in is just a thread or two to the right on your seam.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 3:51 PM | Locked

Hi Rachel!

Well I guess you must be an expert 'cause both Margaret and Marge agree with you that my seam allowance is 1/4". Thank you to Rachel, Margaret and Marge for your help! I'm so glad I found this site, you guys are great! Got one more question(yes another dumb one!), It says my strips should be 10 1/2" long. However, I bought a pre-cut, 'Bali-Pop' and some strips are not quite long enough, or too long. (Off by a tinch, if there's such a measurement) Should I just cut them all as close to the same length as the rest? Or is this going to become a problem for me? To clarify, almost all the strips are correct, I'd say about 5 -10% aren't and are just a 'tinch' off (short or long). Any help would be appreciated.

P.S-Why are they uneven? Were they hand cut?

chicagosinger

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 624
Points 9,310
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 4:06 PM | Locked

You're doing the basket weave quilt like the brown one you showed us before, right?  There are two solutions to your problem.  Cut all your fabrics to the same length and go from there.  You may be short on your last cut of assembled rows.  You can also take a little extra piece from a longer strip and sew it to a shorted strip to make the 10.5" length.  You end up with a slightly different look on that block, but it should be ok if your fabrics are close enough.  No quilt is ever perfect and it's these scrappy solutions that make each one unique.

Margaret

Page 231 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 229 230 231 232 233 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use