Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #5

Page 230 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 228 229 230 231 232 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,396
Points 27,125
Ms MoomMist replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:14 AM | Locked

Maggie:

Moomby, very pretty braid.

Beth an Nana, you are so far ahead of me in FMQ.  Great work!

I did discover that if I draw lines with the F&P ceramic pencil I can follow along and it looks a lot better than if I try to eyeball it.

thank you. I used the FriXion pens... I just love them... thank you to whomever suggested them. I couldn't eyeball them either, they turned out wonky when I did.

It isn't hard, once you get your fabric. I had purchased a Bundle on line of Paintworks, Fandango, it worked out great. for me even though I'm not crazy for scrappy quilts. I  am going to use this as a summer table topper and make one out of 30's repros for a doll quilt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,080
Points 251,824
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:17 AM | Locked

Ms MoomMist:
thank you. I used the FriXion pens... I just love them... thank you to whomever suggested them

MMM We have Thea to thank for the pens ,I love mine ,They are so great to use for applique .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,080
Points 251,824
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:18 AM | Locked

MMM I love the Sunbonnet Sue very pretty , I really like the quilt so bright and cheerful .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,080
Points 251,824
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:19 AM | Locked

Beth , very pretty little quilts ,good job on the quilting. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:38 AM | Locked

Rachel Young:

I worked on a quilt yesterday...although not on my sewing machine.

I have a friend who's husband is a police officer. She has collected 30 of his t-shirts (and t-shirts of his fellow officers...including one of my late uncle's) and asked me to make a t-shirt quilt.

My problem is that I'm struggling with the math. If I have a pattern to go off of, I'm fine. But figuring out how much I need for the binding, borders, and sashing has got me stumped.

I'm following this idea and making a full-sized quilt: http://www.goosetracks.com/T-Shirt%20Quilt%20Instructions.html

Any idea how much fabric I'll need for the BB&S? Because of the varying colors in the shirts, I'm going to make all 3 from the same material.

Thanks in advance! It's gonna be so special and I really want to make sure I do it justice.

Rachel

Rachel -- The blocks in the quilt you referenced are 14 1/2" finished.  If you use all 30 of your tshirts in a 5 x 6 block layout with 1 1/2" sashing between the blocks, 2" border of the same color around quilt center you will need 2 1/4 yards of fabric for sashing and border.  The picture in the goosetracks quilt looks like there is another border.  I added a 5" second border that will take 1 3/4 yard of fabric.  You will then need 5/8 yard for the binding.  Here is a picture of the layout I used:

The finished size of this quilt is94 1/2" x 110 1/2".  Hope this helps.  If I've misunderstood the layout you were planning, let me know and I'll try to work it out in EQ7 and come up with yardages for you.  I love my EQ7!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,715
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:42 AM | Locked

MMM

Beautiful braid quilt.  Love the colors.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,715
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:43 AM | Locked

Beth

I think that both of your toppers turned out great.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415
Rachel Young replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:04 AM | Locked

Georgia:

Rachel -- The blocks in the quilt you referenced are 14 1/2" finished.  If you use all 30 of your tshirts in a 5 x 6 block layout with 1 1/2" sashing between the blocks, 2" border of the same color around quilt center you will need 2 1/4 yards of fabric for sashing and border.  The picture in the goosetracks quilt looks like there is another border.  I added a 5" second border that will take 1 3/4 yard of fabric.  You will then need 5/8 yard for the binding.  Here is a picture of the layout I used:

The finished size of this quilt is94 1/2" x 110 1/2".  Hope this helps.  If I've misunderstood the layout you were planning, let me know and I'll try to work it out in EQ7 and come up with yardages for you.  I love my EQ7!

Oh Georgia, that's magnificent! I didn't know there was SOFTWARE or programs to make quilts! OUTSTANDING!

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking to do!

I know I should probably ask this question on one of the other forums, but do y'all have a preferred batting you use? (Again, this quilt's pretty near and dear to my heart so I want it to be just awesome.s pretty near and dear to my heart so I want it to be just awesome.)

The last quilt I worked on (the one with FMQ and stippling) feels more like a sheet - even with the batting! It's sooooo thin after I get done quilting it! I wasn't sure if it was customary to double or triple-up on the batting layers, or if it was just supposed to be one layer and that I should look for thicker stuff next time.

Rachel in East Tennessee

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,715
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:07 AM | Locked

Rachel

My favorite batting is Quilter's Dream.   There are several options in there line of battings... their wool batting makes a puffier quilt.   Their cotton is really nice and soft and I think it gives a good weight to a quilt if you don't want something really heavy.    They also make a polyester / cotton blend that is thicker.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415
Rachel Young replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:12 AM | Locked

Nana,

Do you just use one layer?

Is it that I'm buying cheap batting and that's why it isn't as thick as I'm expecting?

Rachel in East Tennessee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,080
Points 251,824
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:12 AM | Locked

Rachel I to use Quitler Dream ,I like it because it is made form recycled soda bottles ,its easy to work with and washes up well . Don't let the green color throw you off ..LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,080
Points 251,824
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:14 AM | Locked

Nana I just had to tell you my big fabric order came today ,I'll try to get a picture posted later as I have some running to do first . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,080
Points 251,824
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:17 AM | Locked

Rachel , batting for quilts is not suppose to be thick, It you want thick you use the polyester fluffy stuff that comes in the big bags . You really  want to use 100% cotton batting ,or 80/20  there is also wool  batting and I think bamboo batting . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415
Rachel Young replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:34 AM | Locked

I looked it up on Amazon (they don't sell it near me). I would only need to buy one of these, then? (assuming the quilt is 94.5" x 110.5":

http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Dream-Cotton-Batting-Mid-Loft/dp/B004XTXL6O/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1331314045&sr=1-2

I think the reason I was getting caught up in the fluffiness of it is because the ones my great grandmother made seemed so heavy and warm.

Rachel in East Tennessee

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:56 AM | Locked

Rachel -- I really like Quilter's Dream and there are many different options in their line.  Here is the link to their website that gives a really good listing of their battings and uses -- http://quiltersdreambatting.com/

Don't forget to post pictures of your spectacular masterpiece when you're finished!

Page 230 of 517 (7754 items) « First ... < Previous 228 229 230 231 232 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use