rated by 0 users
This post has 7,753 Replies | 72 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 2:43 PM | Locked

KATHY :

I have a question for everyone.  It seems like I read somewhere in one of the threads that most quilters use white or gray thread.  Does anyone use thread that matches the fabric that they are piecing  the block out of??   Or does everyone just leave it to white or gray primarily.......

Kathy, I mostly use grey or tan/beige. Basically I'm lazy and whatever color thread is on the machine I use unless it is way off, like dark thread and I'm sewing really light fabric.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:02 PM | Locked

i use whatever is in the machine.   mostly i buy offwhite or black for piecing.   i use a lot of black in quilts, i find.  unless some is hiding under the piles, i went through 2o yards of black last year

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:03 PM | Locked

I read somewhere that the general rule is to use for piecing neutral thread of some color ie gray, white, beige. For actual quilting you would match or go opposite depending on what you are trying to accomplish or show off. I worked on a quilt today yea still working on UFO 1 twisted garden. My machine is giving me breaks lol by having the thread come off the needle, its all right ;). It would mean soon time to cut more fabric anyway for the quilt. Under the UFO group I wish we would have the discussion thread so people could see our progress as we work on them instead of just beginning and ending. It would be neat. maybe in a thread of discussion.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,867
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:20 PM | Locked

Kathy,

for piecing I mostly use a beige thread but I'll use whatever is on hand as long as it's cotton. For quilting I use a variety of threads (cotton, rayon, polyester) and colours depending on the project.

No working on anything today yet but I have my appliqué pieces laid out and will probably start sewing after I get back from the cafeteria.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,867
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:26 PM | Locked

Karla:
Just checked and my needle is as far to the right as it will go.

Karla use a ruler with a 1/4 inch mark and place it under your presser foot. Gently bring your needle down and line it up just to the right of that mark. After you have that set the foot down to hold the ruler in place and mark the edge with tape. Use that tape as a guide for feeding your fabric through the machine. You will have a true scant quarter inch.

Quarter inch feet are not always reliable especially the ones with the little guide attached.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:29 PM | Locked

Kathy, I have started using a light beige for light fabric and grey for darker fabrics just for piecing. I have a Irish chain quilt started, long time now, that has white for the solid blocks, so I used white thread for that. I use cotton for piecing.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
blacksheep replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:03 PM | Locked

I have a question.  What color thread is an amish quilt quilted with?   I want to make my quilt look authentic.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:03 PM | Locked

thats what I do, white, grey and beige.  I use more color for quilting, though.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:00 PM | Locked

blacksheep

Most Amish quilts that I have seen either had white/cream thread with the light tops and black/grey with the dark tops.  Don't know if this is the norm though.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,224
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:02 PM | Locked

Kathy, I use the color thread the block is. However, thats going to change and I,ll be using beige , gray, black and white. Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,224
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:06 PM | Locked

Almost for got, I finally finished my runner for the end of my bed. thats two UFOs  so far and its only January. Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145
Jennsquilts replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:14 PM | Locked

Blacksheep, for an Amish looking quilt, the thread used for the actual quilting should match the fabric color.  As for the piecing, I don't think it matters.  I know I never match the piecing thread to the fabric color, use any thread color at hand that needs to be used up.  For applique's I match the fabric color and for quilts, it depends. If it's a scrap quilt, I use a thread color that matches the "mood" of the quilt.  For coordinated quilts, I match the thread color to the quilt.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:16 PM | Locked

I use primarily cream, light grey or darker grey for piecing. The one that blends best for the majority of fabrics is the one I choose.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:22 PM | Locked

blacksheep:

I have a question.  What color thread is an amish quilt quilted with?   I want to make my quilt look authentic.

Look at this particular Amish quilt made by Amish for sale; http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs5381.shtml

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,381
Points 29,060
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:26 PM | Locked

I usually use neutral thread - different shades from light to tan - my blocks usually have a more antique coloring.  For much really white in a quilt I might use white.  Have never used grey yet, but have the thread for when I will need it.  Have also used black for dark or crazy-quilt type scrap quilts (utility quilts).  With freemotion (when it works!) I usually use neutral to tan with bobbin thread matching the back, which is usually darker flannels.  Just finished one with pink flannel and TRYING to get one done with a dark avocado-green back.  That one is defeating me right now (or as is the case, my body is betraying me!).  Have done more frogging than sewing today.  Blamed the bobbin thread first, readjusted the machine, rethreaded everything, then decided it was ME that was the problem.  Need to go back to piecing or using evenfeed foot until weather agrees with me.

Setting machine back to normal sewing now and will probably piece a few of the kits I have made up for wheelchair quilts.  The actual quilting can wait for a better day.

Marsha - Western New York

Page 2 of 517 (7754 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use