Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne Posted: Wed, Jan 4 2012 10:22 PM

I recently read a good article about the Fiskars 24" fabric cutting tool. It is similar to the Donna Dewberry 12" ; sells for $45-$55.

Fiskars makes both tools however DD is only 12"
The article I read I goggled the DD tool and the reviews on Quilting Board were done in 2009, 24" was at that time available through WalMart retail stores however, as you most know WalMart removed their sewing departments on most stores late 2010.

My question is Do you have one of the 24" cutters and Do you know where they can be purchased?

This seems like a very good tool to add to my sewing room as it cuts different strip widths. I purchased an accuquilt cutter for my Christmas Gift , but the dies for the strips are expensive and single size widths, so I am looking at other helpful cutting tools.

I have arthritis and my hands are swollen after I rotary cut out my fabrics. I must use a new way of cutting.
please help with whatever information you might find.

Happy Quilting in the New Year!

Carylanne

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 595
tish replied on Wed, Jan 4 2012 10:34 PM

Hi.  I'm a new member, just learning my way around and this is my first post.

Fiskars discontinued those.  The only place I have found them are on ebay and the bidding goes up to and over a hundred dollars.  If you can afford that, I think it is well worth that.  I just love mine, and highly recommend them...much safer on the fingers too.  I can't believe Fiskars doesn't bring them back again or one of the other quilting supply places hasn't made one.  I very seldom see them on ebay either.

I bought a Donna Dewberry one and i really don't like it because it is not flat, the fabric drops over both sides and it has to be moved so much to cut also have to lift up the arm to slip the fabric under like a paper cutter.  There is one from Australia too, but the shipping cost to the States is way too much when you add the price of the rotary ruler with the postage.

Hope you can find one!

tish

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:26 PM

Carylanne, I have one of these - but haven't used it in years - if I can find it - you are more then welcome to it.  I am not sure what condition it is in - the following pictures are what I found... it had a strip on the back that was kind of rubbery with paper on it - part of it came off when I was picking it up and the blade area is very rusted - I'll get some stuff and see if I can clean that up and put a new blade in it... and if you want it  - it is yours - just friend me your address and it will be on its way...

It has a 24" ruler and a ridge with a blade on it that you place the ruler down and then run the blade down...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:27 PM

first picture was the back side - 2nd is where the blade goes in and the third was when I was trying to hold it up so you could see the top side - it is over 24" in length.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 7:00 AM

Welcome lillypad (or if you'd rather, Tish). this is a great place to learn and make forever friends. Check out the entire site. There is so much to offer. Be sure and tell us all about your self and post some of your quitls for us to ohh and ahh over. We love that.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 11:40 AM

Carylanne - You can have mine or Quilt Daddy's - not a problem with me - I know mine is older probably then Quilt Daddy's - it does still work though - checked it out - it is in the pile of stuff to find new homes for!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Thea:

Carylanne - You can have mine or Quilt Daddy's - not a problem with me - I know mine is older probably then Quilt Daddy's - it does still work though - checked it out - it is in the pile of stuff to find new homes for!

thank you both for such a wonderful offer, and Thea I will accept the one from Richard, I have sent you and Quilt Daddy a private message.

I want to thank Lillypad2222 for the information and yes I agree that if it ain't broke don't fix it as well as if it sells then don't discontinue it.

Carylanne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 3:42 PM

It is not a problem Carylanne - mine is old and hasn't been used in years - I will put it in the pile to give away to someone else...lol  If it doesn't work out with Richard - just let me know - it cleaned up beautifully and I have a new blade in it - it is just in that pile of stuff I have bought over the years and do not use... a Pay it Forward item.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,186
Points 15,875
Susan replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 3:56 PM

Welcome! Tish, Thank you for the info. Tell us about your self. Where are you from? What are your favorite things about quilting? Etc. You will find many great people on this site who like yourself, want to help anyway they can. Looking forward to chatting with you. Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Welcome to QCA tish. I look forward to getting to know you and seeing your work.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:17 PM

I have a Donna Dewberry one that I use for small quilts and I love it! I got it at JoAnne's.  Then, my son has a Fiskar's that he got in the paper and craftsy dept of Michaels, and it looks just like Thea's.  Although he uses it for paper, I have used it for my bigger fabric slicing, and it works just fine.  So, JoAnn's and Michaels for anyone else out there who is looking.... just an FYI.....

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 595
tish replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 9:54 PM

Thank you for the welcome.  I think I seen another place to post new member info? So when I find it again, I will put some more info there.  I'm a wife, mom, and grandma.  Love gardening, indoors and out and sewing and quilting.  Learned to sew in the 70's but am fairly new to quilting.  I have made a lot of quilts from the Quilts for Kids kits to learn how, I also took a beginner quilting class at a local quilt shop.  I live near Atlanta, ga.  Looking forward to reading the past posts and getting to know a bit about you all.  My next project is making a quilted cover for my nook e-reader I got recently for my bd.  I was looking online to buy a cover and the really pretty ones are very expensive and hey, I can sew and quilt, I can make one I love for hardly anything as I have all the supplies already!

Thanks for that info about the the paper cutter that cuts fabric too..I'll be looking for that.  My MIL could use one.  By the time I found out about the Fiskars rotary ruler, it was discontinued, so I think they didn't advertise it enough.  Also I've seen  replacement strips advertised, guess I will be looking for those now what I know they are used for, just a matter of time until my foam strip comes apart too.  Maybe that was another reason they were discontinued.

Take care, tish

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 10:09 PM

Welcome, Lillypad! (Tish)

This is a fun group! Some are on all the time, others (like me) only haunt the halls about 2 days out of the week (unless I am not working).  There are all sorts of fabric cutting tools, and many of us have more than one.  I also have the Alto's Quick Cut system (a cutting board with built in fabric bars that grab the fabric so you can cut and the fabric doesn't slip), and my son has the Accu Quilt GO - which is a die-cut machine, works great with specific shapes, but it also wastes a lot of fabric if you are cutting strips.  Yep, you will learn a lot (and have a HUGE wish-list!)  :D

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 10:15 PM

Welcome to the club Tish. Have fun exploring the site and please show us some of your quilts.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use