Page 5 of 6 (80 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 79 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 1,100
Cathy J replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 2:09 PM

I got my pegs for my ironing board pegboard yesterday. I'll need to add some 1 inch holes but it will work great. I had a devil of a time getting the legs off it but that's what hubbies are for.... I need to decide what color I want to paint it. I love I can repurpose something from my Mom, too!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 12:55 AM

Lola B:
Do you use the mangle to iron your quilting fabric?  I bet it would be much better than using the hand iron.

No, Lola, I have never used it to press fabric.  It hasn't been plugged in for probably 45 years - just one of those things I couldn't get rid of when we emptied out my mom's house.  Somewhere I actually have the original manual that came with it.  man, I used to hate that thing! LOL

MargeP

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 12:58 AM

Quiltless:
A mangle iron has a round roller type iron that is motorized.

Thanks, Quiltless Kath for answering Nana's inquiry.  You did a  much better job that I would have done. I don't remember if it had the knee lift or not but it seems like it did.  When our snow is gone and I can get to our storage sheds, I will have to check it out. LOL

MargeP

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:00 AM

Spudgrandma:
We also had one of these: Iron Press 

Something like this would be pretty handy to have - thanks for posting the link, Spud.

MargeP

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:30 AM

I actually saw one of the iron press at an auction sale.  Seriously consider buying it.  Thought it would work great for pressing yardage.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 361,987
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:38 AM

Eleanor Burns used one to those presses to do her fusible appliqué on her show. I really wanted one but never purchased. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,259
Points 28,485
Agnes replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:39 AM

Quiltless:
The roller turns and rolls the fabric against a curved hot iron plate.

My mangle memories take me back to days before electricity was in our area. Grandmother had a wooden roller and a ridged wooden paddle. You folded the sheets to the width of the roller, rolled this piece on the roller, laid it on the table and rolled it back and forth with the paddle. Then, too, this was in the days when the wash machine was a wooden tub centered on legs with a wheel of some sort attach to the bottom center and agitation was produced by standing and moving the extruded handle on the rim of the tub back and forth to create the agitation. There was a hand operated wringer mounted on the edge. The clothes were dropped into a washtub of water as they came through the wringer, inspected. If spots remained you rubbed the spots with homemade lye soap and repeated the wash and rinse process until the clothes met inspection. I remember helping Grandma with laundry when I was about 6.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105

What a wonderful idea.  I have a smaller space and was wondering how to use it.  When I am out at estate sales and flea markets , I now have another neat idea which is a low cost fix to storage.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 7:06 AM

I've forgotten about this thread, but I'm happy that everyone liked my ironing board tip! Sorry I forgot to mention how difficult it is to get those legs off. Like someone said that's what hubbies are for. In my case, uncles work too. Thank you to the gal who mentioned looking at Goodwill for ironing boards. I would like to get another one this summer. By the way, I use Rustoleum spray paint for outdoor furniture. It's fast and easy and it drys fast. It also has a nice finish.

Enjoy your repurposed ironing boards!

Hugs,

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 125
lmlarsol1 replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 8:30 AM

I did the same things and love having everything at my fingertips!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:05 PM

agnes we had a wringer washer until i was 14, it was hard work running that  wringer.  people didn't have as many clothes back them and we didn't wash them nearly as often.    the best part about  dad putting an addition on the house was the laundry/bathroom.  a side bonus was my own bedroom, i didn't have to share with my brother anymore.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:12 PM

Wringer washers! I'll never forget those. Mom asked me to wring out the clothes in the washer one Saturday. No problem...not only did I wring out the clothes, but my arm too! No fun at all.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:15 PM

I have actually washed clothes with a wringer washer.  My MIL used a wringer right up to the day she died.   I will agree it uses a lot less water and you didn't wash clothes everyday....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:27 PM

Linda:
not only did I wring out the clothes, but my arm too! No fun at all.

that is where the saying comes from ya know, 'don't get your t*t in the wringer"  or is that a n. idaho colloquialism.   i don't know if it's ever happened, but it would be painful

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:37 PM

Gini

I have heard that said many times so no it isn't just Idaho.   And I would think that would be very painful....talk about mammogram...geesh

Vinton, Virginia

Page 5 of 6 (80 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use