Sewing room Pegboard

Page 4 of 6 (80 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 79 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 6:53 AM

Hi Gang,   Love the ironing board idea.  I would keep the legs on it just in case I needed it for it's original purpose later.  I've got my grandmother's ironing board and it would work great for that.  It doesn't have quite as many holes but it would be my magnet board.  I think I'll get the ironing board wall holder like they have in hotels.  Then can put the iron there too.  Since I have about 4 irons...lol   I even have my grandmother's that has a fabric wrapping on the cord...now that's an old iron and still works.  Gets much hotter than the new ones. I only use it on rare occasions when I really need a very hot iron.  Maybe I should take it somewhere and have that cord replaced.  Gramdmother did ironing for other people for years and it's had a lot of use thru the years.  She even ironed my grandfather's socks and underwear.  Can you say OCD.....lol

Diana in East Tn.    

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 7:15 AM

Diana, I would really get someone to check out that cord.  I used one with a frayed cord, but it was wrapped with electrical tape, not cloth.  However, the wires under the tape were touching and  shorted out.  Could cause a fire.  Be safe.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 8:08 AM

Hi Lola,   The cord is not frayed, it's the way it was made when it was new.  It's just very old.  But I won't be using it until the cord gets replaced.  Thanks for the warning though.  Fires are something I don't take lightly because my sister was burned out of an apt. when she was in the hospital giving birth to her first child.  Her first child is now 44 years old. 

Diana in East Tn.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:58 AM

Diana

My MIL ironed socks, underwear, and even sheets.   Not this girl...no way.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:35 PM

Nana:
My MIL ironed socks, underwear, and even sheets.

Someone needed to help that woman find a hobby - like quilting!!!  LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 2:07 PM

Hi Again....Talk about too much time on their hands?  My MIL folds dirty laundry to put it in the hamper or clothes basket.  She claims it takes up less room if it's folded.  My clean clothes are lucky to get folded.. I'm not even going to think about the dirty ones.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 2:19 PM

Nana:
My MIL ironed socks, underwear, and even sheets.

After my Grandfather died, she started wearing his jockey shorts cause she said they were roomier and more comfortable. She had no washer or dryer so she washed then int he kitchen sink and dried them in the oven. She sent all her laundry to the cleaners and didn't want anyone to know. She always told my Mom to check to see if she was wearing them when she died and if so change her panties before they came to get her. When she did die, Mom was out of town so no telling what they funeral home found when they went to embalm her.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 8:28 PM

Nana:

Diana

Yikes. the only thing I iron is fabric for quilting.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 9:25 PM

Nana:

A walk down memory lane - ironing sheets!  My mom insisted I do this as a young girl/teen and of course we did have a fancy mangle.  i don't know how many times I got bored with the speed the mangle went and would try and pull them through faster.  NOT!  I hated the mangle at that time but guess what is out in one of my storage sheds - the mangle!  Just couldn't get rid of it when Mom passed.

Marge P

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 6:32 AM

Wow.  My girlfriend sells antique linens and had looked all over for a good used mangle.  Yes, she irons the sheets.  Do you use the mangle to iron your quilting fabric?  I bet it would be much better than using the hand iron.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 12:00 PM

Marge P

What is a mangle?   Never heard of that one.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 12:08 PM

A mangle iron has a round roller type iron that is motorized.  The roller turns and rolls the fabric against a curved hot iron plate.  You sit on a chair in front of them.  I had one that operated with a knee lift to lift the roller up and down against the hot iron plate.  

They are fabulous for doing large amounts of ironing and getting a professional looking finish.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 12:36 PM

Thanks Quiltless.  Never saw one of those.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Marge P:
I hated the mangle at that time but guess what is out in one of my storage sheds - the mangle!  Just couldn't get rid of it when Mom passed.

We had one of those when I was a kid, back then everyone ironed everything. But the fabric back then wrinkled very easy.:)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

We also had one of these: Iron Press  it was larger and on a frame with legs, I did use that one a lot!.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 4 of 6 (80 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use