Top 10 Posters

Craftsy Block of the Month class

Page 158 of 159 (2385 items) « First ... < Previous 155 156 157 158 159 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,384 Replies | 46 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 1:42 PM | Locked

I don't know how many of you follow Amy Gibson, instructor for Craftsy BOM class, on her blog. She is currently in the hospital, waiting for the arrival of twin boys. There have been some complications that require her to stay at the hospital for the next few weeks.  Her blog today covers a little more of the 'why', etc. but what was really amazing was how she has managed to set up an improvised quilting studio in her hospital room.  Thought some of you might like to see what she has done.

http://www.stitcherydickorydock.com/

I am sure a few extra prayers for her and the twins would probably be appreciated.

Max

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,669
Points 120,410
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 1:55 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
I don't know how many of you follow Amy Gibson, instructor for Craftsy BOM class, on her blog. She is currently in the hospital, waiting for the arrival of twin boys.

Thanks for the info Max. She certainly is making the best of a difficult situation. Who'd a thunk to bring sewing machine and stuff for a hospital stay. Hand work, yes,but the machines and everything? Good for her.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 2:58 PM | Locked

Thanks for the info, Max.  I will keep her and her family in my thoughts.  I read her blog post - she mentioned EPP as a possible project while she was there.  I've recently started an EPP with larger (1.75') hexagons in repro '30's.  Not much done yet but I'm already getting compliments on what I've done so far.

For those of you who were talking about templates for HST, I have one from Elisa' s Back Porch Design.  It's for 10" layer cakes and makes either 4.5" finishes HSTs (makes 8) or 1.5" finished HSTs (Makes 32) with this tool.  You can also make eight 1.5 finished HSTs with charm packs.  I've played with it a bit and it really is fun.  I like the idea someone posted about making the templates in lots of sizes - I wonder if I could get my FIL to let me use his saw so I could make some templates out of plexiglass or Lexan.  Might be worth checking into. 

I hope to fully catch up with my blocks this weekend so I can start September with you all.  I'll have to see how my hands are doing - this week's chemo "Surprise side effect" is that a few of my fingernails seem to be losing hold of my fingers a bit.  The Doc says this is fairly common and that they will likely be tender and I may lose some.  So far nothing too painful (One finger got a little infected before I realized what was going on, but I got antibiotics right away and they seem to be doing the trick.)  So as long as it isn't too painful to sew, I think I can carve out a bit of sewing time this weekend.

I'm loving everyone's blocks - that orange, purple and green set is amazing! 

Oh, and I think I may have hooked Hubby's aunt on EPP.  She saw my project and really liked it so I gave her a demo.  (I have to remember to send her the link to the Craftsy class.)  She took me to lunch after Chemo and then *needed* to stap at the LQS to get some templates and a charm pack so she can start her own.  She bought me a gift while we were there - "200 blocks from Quiltmaker Magazine"  and I think it's going to be a great book to add to my collection.  So many fun blocks!  I really like that I can adapt a lot of what Amy has been teaching us as I move forward with trying out a few of these.  I also got 4 more '30's prints for my collection - I need more like a hole in the head, but one was on clearance so I couldn't pass that up!  And it needed friends on the car ride home...

Guess I've wasted enough of this feed - but wanted to let you all know how much this class has been helping my quilting endeavors.  As a beginner, I appreciate not only this class, but all of the encouragement you've all shared with me.  So thanks to all of you for that!  Happy Quilting!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 366,007
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:20 PM | Locked

Nice blocks Thea.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 680
Points 17,070
Brigit-Carol replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 9:03 AM | Locked

Thea -- love your blocks.  I usually lean towards pastels, but for some reason this time I went with darker/ bolder colours.  I'm going to look back over your other posts to see the blocks from previous months.  I just love doing that on this site.  (Which I spend way too much time on).

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 243,607
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 9:07 AM | Locked

Claudette - praying for you that you have much success with your new project.  I love the excitement that posts from new quilters bring - always gets me motivated to get back to my sewing machine.

I love also all the new tools that have come into existence since I started quilting - scissors and cardboard templates was where I started... so much fun!

I did not know that Amy was sick so thank you Max.  I have hardly enough energy some days to check out QCA let alone watch other blogs... shame on me - I should sit at this computer 24/7 - LMAO... anyway have said some prayers for her and her twins... so exciting... 

Right now it got very dark in my house - we still have power but my direct tv satellite went out - so lots of quiet time... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 243,607
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 2:24 PM | Locked

Belfrybat:

Thea -- love your blocks.  I usually lean towards pastels, but for some reason this time I went with darker/ bolder colours.  I'm going to look back over your other posts to see the blocks from previous months.  I just love doing that on this site.  (Which I spend way too much time on).

Belfrybat, I normally go for the bright colors so this is not normal for me but I had bought these fabrics a couple years ago and they just sat on the shelf so when they offered this BOM I thought what the hay - I have no idea what we are making but 12" blocks will make up into a nice size quilt for my Grand daughter's bed and these colors are little girlie  -- so I have 5 - 3 yard cuts that are from the same line - brown, blue, green, pink and yellow - so all the blocks I am making are with those - no other fabrics will be added to it... sometimes it is difficult when you don't have a specific background fabric but it gives me something to decide each month - to look at the blocks I have made so far and make sure i am using all the fabrics equally... I tend to lean towards the blue...lol

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:13 PM | Locked

Claudette:

Dara,

I got the polka dot fabric at JoAnn Fabrics a while back (in the premium quilt fabrics).  I think I've had it for a year or two so I don't know if they still have it, but it can't hurt to check.

Thanks Claudette I'll check it out.   I finally got the pictures taken of my blocks.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:17 PM | Locked

Belfrybat:

I finished the log cabin and the 9 square blocks.  I just couldn't "get" the wonky log cabin.  But what is done, is done.  Now to decide what to do in place of the hexis.  Just watching the video of the instructor doing those gave me flashbacks to the '70s and <gasp> YO YOs!  Hundreds and hundreds of yoyos.  Maybe even thousands.  Not going anywhere close to something like that again!  I found a couple of tutorials on various ways to make flying geese, so am considering a couple of squares using those. 

Great job BelfryBat!  You've got some fantastic fabrics!  You will be caught up before you know it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:21 PM | Locked

Donna B:

Here are my blocks for August.   I have switched up fabrics a little bit.  Some of you remember that early on I only had a 1/2 yard of my orange and green poppy fabric so did a search and found some at a small quilt store (in Iowa, I think).  In error they sent me a purple and green hydrangea print from the same line and then corrected the error and sent the correct poppy fabric telling me to keep the hydrangea fabric.  As  I have been looking at the hydrangea fabric, I think it might add something to this quilt...specifically a purple print to balance the april block that was mostly deep purple.  So, here are my August blocks and a second shot of all my blocks to date.

Anyway, this will be a colorful quilt...LOL!

Great job Donna!  Love your blocks.  Your quilt is going to be so cheerful. It makes me happy just looking at the blocks!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:27 PM | Locked

Belfrybat:

I spent an hour yesterday reviewing this thread and seeing the creativity of folks here blows me away.  I'm learning so much from you all.  I finished the Dresdens last evening and photographed everything to date.  I'm missing April -- hexi, and will decide later what to substitute.  Sorry about the poor image quality but the flash on the camera wasn't wide enough for all the blocks. 

BelfryBat,   Just WOW  this is going to be a great quilt.  I really like your dresden's  especially the modern one where your print seems to be floating on the blue background.  I just love what you've done!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:32 PM | Locked

Thea:

Donna B - love the added purple to your blocks - they are all just awesome.

Belfrybat, Yep we need to have more quilting projects to keep us off of those housework chores - although I don't allow myself to sew right now till I do my household chores - sometimes I cheat and have DH do the dishes so I don't have them to do - but lately he has been balking at this request... I am one of those people that has to have everything in order - so when I sit down to sew if I see something that needed doing I have to get it done so I feel comfortable sitting at my sewing table.  Your blocks are just fantastic - wanted to tell you that - I love that blue fabric - brings them all together.

And here are my August blocks - I did complete them back the first of the month but kept forgetting to load the pictures from my camera - till the missionaries stopped by and wanted a picture with DH - so loaded them all in at the same time...

My blocks are pale in comparison to those posted - very muted in color but they will work for a very pretty quilt for Echo!

Nice blocks Thea!  I love the way you are using the same print in various colors.  I can't wait to see it completed.  Such a soft cuddly look!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:45 PM | Locked

Claudette:

Oh, and I think I may have hooked Hubby's aunt on EPP.  She saw my project and really liked it so I gave her a demo.  (I have to remember to send her the link to the Craftsy class.)  She took me to lunch after Chemo and then *needed* to stap at the LQS to get some templates and a charm pack so she can start her own.  She bought me a gift while we were there - "200 blocks from Quiltmaker Magazine"  and I think it's going to be a great book to add to my collection.  So many fun blocks!  I really like that I can adapt a lot of what Amy has been teaching us as I move forward with trying out a few of these.  I also got 4 more '30's prints for my collection - I need more like a hole in the head, but one was on clearance so I couldn't pass that up!  And it needed friends on the car ride home...

Claudette,  I'm so glad you've been able to do some quilting and congrats on your 'haul' at the LQS. I'm glad you caught the infection in the early stages.  Lots of quilty get well hugs, hug, hug, hug heading your way!

The EPP was a surprise to me.  I expected to hate it and found instead that I really enjoyed it.  I've not yet started an EPP project (so many other irons in the fire right now) but have plans to do one soon.

Quilty Hugs!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,448
Points 176,343
Marie replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:00 PM | Locked

Dara love your blocks and that pink fabric is a dream!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,758
Points 66,980
Bonita replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:47 PM | Locked

Dara Beth, your pink and greens look so good together. I have some of the dark green I want to use.

Page 158 of 159 (2385 items) « First ... < Previous 155 156 157 158 159 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use