Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,330
Nana Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:14 PM

This subject was broached in the Dear Jane group so I started wondering.  What kind of thread do you use for your hand piecing and quilting.  And what do you like best for hand applique?

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,341
Points 250,052
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:17 PM

I use a good cotton thread for hand piecing and quilting.

For my applique I like to use silk thread - it sinks in and is a very strong thread. 

for hand quilting I use hand quilting thread - it has that little bit of wax on it that makes it not tangle as much and slides through the fabric very easily.

I like guterman, sulky, R/A and have started trying out the threads from Aurifil.  I have some Maderia for embroidery and also some Floriani. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:21 PM

Thea

I have a few spools of Sulky that I use for machine embroidery but they are rayon.  Everything else is 100% cotton...Connecting Threads and Gutterman mostly. I have never tried the silk. Do you have a brand of silk that you prefer?

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,341
Points 250,052
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:26 PM

I believe the array of silk threads that i have are YLI.

I have never bought any thread yet from connecting threads - I belonged to a quilt site that i got my R/A threads from and bought the little chest with the Madeira so i had threads for embroidery.  I have an array of cotton threads and love the blendables for quilting...I run out of the cotton threads way sooner then I do the poly - I have all polyester threads for embroidery - my machine does not like the Rayon and I have found that I would rather use the poly then sit there and constantly have to rethread because the thread broke.

I am looking forward to trying out the aurifil threads and the floriani... I can't remember when I got either but have a slew of colors in both... they had the big spools and I had to wait til Jay made me a wooden thingie to hold the spools... he did it a while ago but I was done embroidering by then...

I go through phases where I do a lot of embroidery - but it doesn't happen very often...I love piecing and quilting more.  I need a nother machine just like mine to do embroidery... before Jay got laid off I was bidding for them on Ebay - had a price I would pay  - so far people have beat me out - but I haven't bid in quite a while.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,597
Points 392,407
Kris replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:00 PM

Nana,

I use Essential from Connecting Threads for machine and hand piecing these days. I used to use Star machine quilting thread. I use Guterman for hand quilting, Robison Anton rayon for embroidery. For machine quilting I just use whatever I think works with the quilt.

I don't really have a favourite thread. Connecting Treads is cheapest and i like the quality so I bought a few neutral thread sets from them. Otherwise I buy my thread from Red Rock Threads.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Sun, Nov 8 2009 3:44 PM

I love the Connecting Threads thread and it works great in my machine quilting.  I use silk thread when I do hand applique (which is seldom.)  I don't hand quilt so I can't say on that one.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2018 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.