Top 10 Posters

Sewing machine quandry...

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 84 Replies | 14 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
33 Posts
Points 415
Tanya posted on Sat, Dec 17 2011 8:28 AM

I recently had both of my singer sewing machines die on me...I love to quilt and play with the fabric. Now all i can do is look at the fabric. I have been searching for a new machine but have no clue what I should go for. I want something easy to use, multiple stitches, lettering and can easily handle multiple layers. Both of the machines that just died are Singers. the one the motor just quit, the other i was told had gears shear off and it would be cheaper to replace than to fix.

I need people to give real opinions on singer, brother, janome, juki, baby lock and any other machines. I am going stir crazy with out a machine!

HELP!!!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,739
gini replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 11:46 AM

annie, enjoy your new machine.    changing the presesr feet is one of the issues i have with my sapphire.   i didn't change a foot befoe i bought it and my hands are too big to fit, so i have a lot of trouble getting the feet changed.   and my feet just snap on.  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Congrats on your new machine Annie.  I'm sure you will love it!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
981 Posts
Points 24,590

Bella:
After a few hours of test driving some machines yesterday, I decided on a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0  I was considering the Janome 7700, I really liked that a lot, but when I had to change out the presser foot, I realized how awkward it felt to me and hide it strained my arthritic wrists.  That was the deal breaker.  I just set up my Pfaff and hope it lives up to my expectations.

Nice machine! I know you will have a wonderful time with her. I'm doing my first embroidery on a Pashmina I have with my Brother SE400. I saw lots of machines I loved yesterday but until I save up a few thousand dollars, Patches will have to do. When I can afford it, it will be a Bernina...if they are still in business when I have the $$$ lol. Anyone want to contribute to my Bernina fund? lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,542 Posts
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 2:06 PM

Annie, I completely understand about the difficulty changing the presser feet.  I have a Janome DC2010 and that is something I didn't like after I bought it.  The part that houses the presser foot comes down too far and it is difficult to even se what you are sewing.  Hope you love your new baby.....Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,832 Posts
Points 366,142
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 3:01 PM

Annie,

Congratulations on your new purchase. I have the QE 4.0 as well. A bit on the loud side (compared to my other Pfaff) but I like it. I hope you enjoy yours.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 5:48 PM

Ginny,

I was really surprised about the piece of metal that lands just along side the screw.  I thought I was imagining things, and even asked the salesperson to help me move that metal piece out of the way, but she assured me that was the way it was built.  I have pretty good sized hands and now with my arthritis acting up, it was near impossible for me to change out the feet.  

Thanks to you ALL, I knew enough to really do my due diligence.  

Thanks again everyone for your opinions, advice and most of all your warm wishes.

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 5:57 PM

Annie:

[quote user="

Bella,

After a few hours of test driving some machines yesterday, I decided on a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0  I was considering the Janome 7700, I really liked that a lot, but when I had to change out the presser foot, I realized how awkward it felt to me and hide it strained my arthritic wrists.  That was the deal breaker.  I just set up my Pfaff and hope it lives up to my expectations.

Great machine, Annie!  Keep me posted on what it is like to fall in love with a Pfaff, as my mom and I were wondering what this "new generation" is like.  Congratulations! (and my mom is still in love with her little black 1948 Pfaff! )  :D

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,810 Posts
Points 43,674
Eileen replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 10:29 PM

Yay, Annie!! Have fun getting to know your new machine :-)

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 595
tish replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 10:58 PM

My Singer died too, stripped a gear inside that would be more expensive to repair than replace the repair guy said.  So I bought an inexpensive Singer and hated it.  A lot of time delay between pressing the foot petal and the sewing...also always stopped needle up.  It was just very different than my 1970's Singer.  I was at Joann Fabric last year and they have a small sewing store inside, indepentently owned, and there was a Husqvarna Sapphire on sale.  I sat down, tried it out and wow!  I loved it!  I could only afford the 835 model, the 875 has more features and also cuts the thread, but I'm happy with the one I have.  The extras are a bit pricey, walking foot, etc.  Get one you love, it makes all the difference in sewing.   tish

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 11:02 PM

Tish

You are absolutely right.  You have to have a machine you love.   The new Singers just aren't our mom's old singer.  The don't run as well and don't sew as well.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 6 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use