Top 10 Posters

Sewing machine quandry...

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 84 Replies | 14 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
33 Posts
Points 415
Tanya posted on Sat, Dec 17 2011 8:28 AM

I recently had both of my singer sewing machines die on me...I love to quilt and play with the fabric. Now all i can do is look at the fabric. I have been searching for a new machine but have no clue what I should go for. I want something easy to use, multiple stitches, lettering and can easily handle multiple layers. Both of the machines that just died are Singers. the one the motor just quit, the other i was told had gears shear off and it would be cheaper to replace than to fix.

I need people to give real opinions on singer, brother, janome, juki, baby lock and any other machines. I am going stir crazy with out a machine!

HELP!!!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 10:42 AM

Barbara

The Futura has a somewhat unusual thread pathway and it didn't like alot of threads.  The embroidery wasn't very user friendly and my embroidery threads broke constantly.  No matter what brand I used.  I just wasn't impressed with the machine at all.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 10:46 AM

Barbara

I think you will be pleased with your purchase.  I looked at the Husqvrana/Viking when I bought my first Bernina. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 11:18 AM

What a fantastic deal! I can't wait to see pictures!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,824 Posts
Points 43,844
Eileen replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 3:56 PM

I have not read through all the replies but it sure looks like you've gotten tons of responses :-)  Isn't this place great?!

I have a Brother Pacesetter NX600 (I don't know if they still make them) and a Baby Lock straignt stitch (also a discontinued model).  When I bought the Brother about 6 years ago, there had been an article in one of the quilting magazines with comparisons of different machines & I also looked at reviews in Consumer Reports.  The machine was about $600 at the time & the one piece of advice I heard later was to buy the most machine I could afford.  That said, if you don't need all the bells & whistles, don't get them.  Make a list of the features you must have then go to the stores & dealers near you & play with the machines. I'm sure someone else has already said that, but it's key - you need to be comfortable with the machine.  You can at least look online first to see what's available & many manufacturers have demo videos of some machines. I wihs you luck & hope you have fun picking out your new machine!

Oops! I forgot to say I like my Brother. It's a good machine & has lots of decorative & functional stitches and lettering. It doesn't embroider, which I don't do anyway, and I especially like the knee lift (my old Kenmore did not have one) and the flexibility to use the foot pedal or a button to stitch. It is easy to thread & the bobbin loads from the top woth a see-through cover so I know when I'm running low.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,308 Posts
Points 254,959

I finally got pictures taken of my new embroidery machine.I have not used it yet, BArbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,470

Beautiful machine, Barbara!  Have fun with it :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,800 Posts
Points 31,720
Annie replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 7:43 AM

I would also love some advice.

I have 1 machine - a Viking Lily, about 15 years old.  Although it still works ok, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the newer ones do - I would also like a machine with a wider throat area.  One can never have too many machines, right?  trying to convince myself to get another one, but don't know which one to go for and what good price is?  

I use it mainly for piecing and quilting and would love to get or make a drop in table for it.

Any advice is so appreciated!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,470

Annie,

When I got my updated machine, I went for a wider throat space, built in thread cutter, and I looked for more stitches, particularly the blanket stitch for applique.  My older Bernina didn't have that stitch.  Also, I wanted a heavy duty machine, the knee lift, and needle down feature which I was used to on my older machine.  There are a lot of machines that offer the features I wanted but I decided to buy one from a dealer close to where I live.  It's not fun to have to drive a long distance for service and support. My Bernina dealer in town closed and moved nearly an hour away.  I ended up buying the Janome 6600 and have been very happy with it.  

If you decide to buy a cabinet or sewing table, check out Arrow Cabinets.  They have an offer through this club and you can get $$ off a cabinet.  I bought the Bertha cabinet and it came with a quilt extension.  If all you want is a drop in table, they make one that is sold through JoAnn's.  It was on sale recently and we bought one for our daughter for Christmas.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
100 Posts
Points 2,120
Cathy replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 9:35 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and I love my machine, it's very user friendly, comes with multiple feet Also it's easy to get it repaired if it does break, so far my machine has required no repair. I have had this machine about 4-5 years. I love the multiple stitches, and the lettering, and the built in walking foot. The reason I went with this machine is that I didn't have to buy all the feet and accessories separately.  

Cathy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,800 Posts
Points 31,720
Annie replied on Sat, Dec 24 2011 7:12 AM

Cathy and Sheri,

Thanks for your feed back.  You may not believe this, but I actually had a dream that I was in a store and so excited that I was buying the Janome.  IN the dream, I felt like a little kid in a toy store.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,308 Posts
Points 254,959

Annie, if you go to a Janome store and look at a Janome  you will still feel that way, esp,after they let you play with them. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
14,199 Posts
Points 253,512
Thea replied on Sat, Dec 24 2011 10:06 AM

Annie, I got a Janome 6500 - it isn't there newest one on the market but the throat space is big enough so that I am able to quilt any size quilt - and I mostly do queen/king size quilts - but I can do them without having to really fluff and stuff like I did with the smaller throat space of my Pfaff... I would really think about what machine you want - mine do have a lot of bells and whistles on them and I would say I have not used 80% of them nor ever will... 

You don't have to have all those specialty stitches unless you think you will use them... That was one of the reasons I went for the 6500 rather then their latest one on the market - got a really good deal on it too as it wasn't the latest one out.  like the 2009 car on the lot in 2012 - they want that car gone so they can get newer stuff in - same with sewing machines...

Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Points 6,725

I had been yearning for a sewing cabinet for years but could not bring myself to spend $1000+ for one.  My patience paid off and I hope others will have the same good fortune as I did.  I checked craigslist 3-4times a week (my local area only) and searched "sewing" and "quilting".  The first item I found for $25.00 was an old (lime green accessories) Horn sewing cabinet with a lift.  The lift had come off the tracks and Horn sent me the parts and instructions on how to repair at no charge.  I couldn't fix it so I sadly gave it to my Aunt for here church yard sale.  Shortly thereafter, again on craigslist, I found a beautiful sewing cabinet with electric lift and an Elna sewing machine as well as boxes of notions for $70.  Woo Hoo! 

Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,308 Posts
Points 254,959
Barbara replied on Sat, Dec 24 2011 10:26 AM

Andera ,Nice fine. I found one a a thrft shop for 50.00 and had a handman come and fix it so I can now sit my Janome down to level ,this cabinet had double fold out extentions on each side and 8 little drawers .I love it . and  it is real wood ,not that particle board stuff. I on e is patient you can dind these good deals. WE look foward to seeing a picture of you new find. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,600 Posts
Points 48,465

The first machine I bought for myself was a Kenmore in 1972 and I still have it and it still runs. I bought a Singer about 3 years ago when I started quilting. It was a good machine for what I was doing at the time. I went to a LQS to look at fabric and discovered they also sold Babylocks. I was immediately in love! I purchased a Quilters choice Pro that was only a couple of months old. The woman who bought it put it on a frame and decided she needed a bigger machine. I think I got a good deal on it. Unfortunately I was not happy with the dealer. One day I went to a vacuum/sewing store looking for an open toe foot for the QCP. They are also Janome dealers. They had a Horizon sitting in a prime location and before I knew it, I bought it. They gave me more for my Babylock than I paid for it. I recently took in my Singer for service, they offered me a great deal on a Magnolia that the price had just been reduced  by Janome. It is a smaller machine and better for taking to classes than the Horizon. I personally think you can get a good machine from most manufacturers, but the dealer is the key. You need a dealer that will take care of you and your machine and not give you the run around!

I too found a Horn cabinet on craigslist for $100. The lift did not work, but I was able to get another one from Rockler. When I bought the Horizon my son was able to take a saw and cut the opening larger so I can use the cabinet. I also have my Magnolia in a cabinet. What is neat about that is the acrylic piece I had made for the Babylock is almost the exact size I need. It is open at the end with the cords which is not a problem at all. If I get any more machines then I am going to have a problem because my room is rather full.

Page 3 of 6 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.